All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Creme Brulee
      #340544 - 01/07/09 08:32 AM
Wildfire

Reged: 01/07/09

Does anyone have a IBS friendly recipe for Creme Brulee. I'm new to adjusting recipes for IBS. Much appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Creme Brulee new
      #340558 - 01/07/09 03:19 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

That is a hard one! The flavor and richness come from cream and it would miss that if subbed with something non dairy.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#340561 - 01/07/09 03:54 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I agree with Little Minnie that a straight-up substitution probably would lose something in the translation. However, my vegan friends swear anything is possible so I did a Google search for:

vegan creme brulee

and got over 64,000 hits. Here's the first one: web page

I have no idea if it's any good, of course, but the cook's description of creme brulee is quite, um, enticing.

I would definitely use cane or beet sugar (regular table sugar) rather than the fruit sugar called for in the recipe. IBSers don't need extra fructose.

HTH. And if you try one of these recipes, please let us know how it comes out.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Yes, do let us know if you try it! I've been wanting to come up with new
      #340567 - 01/07/09 05:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

a safe creme brulee for years but haven't even tried it.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#340579 - 01/07/09 06:48 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I might try that too. Hub loves creme brulee. I would sub a real vanilla bean steeped in the soy milk for extract to add more flavor. And I find it really important to get the real good brand of soy milk for something like this.

I actually found an excellent vegan alfredo sauce believe it or not. Those sort of plain dairy things don't sub well but once in awhile you find a good recipe.

Sometimes you see creme brulee recipes that have a flavor of some kind, something different. That might help a dairy free one.
A quick search brought up: espresso, coconut, ginger/vanilla, pumpkin, eggnog (silk nog!), lavender, chocolate, Grand Marnier, almond, white chocolate raspberry, kahlua and latte.
This vegan site has some comments on creme brulee and is just hilarious but not real helpful.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#340649 - 01/09/09 09:25 PM
Sweetfudge

Reged: 03/13/06
Loc: Utah

Here's a link to a recipe that uses cream of wheat. sounds weird, but it might just work!
http://www.vegsource.com/talk/recipes/messages/100031176.html
And here's another link w/ a few recipe suggestions:
http://www.postpunkkitchen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1911

now you've got me wanting to give this a try! i really miss creme brulee. and i have a package of soy whipped cream in my fridge that would be a great topping, w/ some fresh berries!

--------------------
Sweetfudge

Diagnosed w/ celiac disease June 2006, and started gluten free diet.
Stopped eating dairy June 2008.
Started IBS diet October 2008.
Diagnosed w/ hypothyroidism in 2008 and lost 45 unwanted lbs!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5861

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review