All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Looking for REALLY CHEAP safe recipies.
      #335769 - 09/07/08 02:19 PM
cooking4six

Reged: 08/19/08
Loc: Southwest, US

It's gonna be a tight few weeks for us coming up and I need some new cheap ($10 or less) meals to feed a family of six. All the budget meals my mom used to make had cheese, beef, beans or creamed something in it...and plenty of fat.

I'm planning on 1)chicken and rice soup
2)chicken tacos w/tomatillo salsa (GREAT!)
3)pasta and veggies w/a chicken stock sauce
4)Cajun dirty rice w/turkey sausage
5)French bread pizzas w/soy mozzarella

If anyone has any other super inexpensive meals that'll feed a half dozen people, please, I'd love to have them.

And... if anyone's interested my chicken taco recipe, it's out of this world good. I'll post it if you'd like.

Dana

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Looking for REALLY CHEAP safe recipies. new
      #335774 - 09/07/08 03:56 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

When we are running low on cash,It's a lot of pasta and soup.Lots of bread and toast. Toasted egg sandwiches.
Make a big batch of chicken soup and add whatever veggies you have,add rice,noodles anything really.Then the next day make it into a potpie buy thickening up the leftovers with a bit of flour.Make a crust if you can or just serve as stew with bread.If you have some stables at home throw a batch of homemade buns together or bread.Breads pretty cheap and they can fill up on that first.
Also a big batch of spagetti noodles and mix with sauce and bake. add cheese to one half and the kids will love it!
Hope that helps!

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#335776 - 09/07/08 04:56 PM
Sheltiemom22

Reged: 08/06/08
Loc: Kentucky

Dana I would love to have your chicken taco recipe. I went out to lunch today with friends to a Mexican restaurant. I had grilled chicken in a flour tortilla, which was fine I think. But I also ate rice and a few of their chips, and by the time I got home I was in extreme pain. So, I need to stay away from the Mexican rice and the chips that's for sure. But I love Mexican food so am very interested in your recipe when you have a moment.
Thank you.

--------------------
IBS & Diverticulosis

#335795 - 09/08/08 12:26 PM
cooking4six

Dragonfly,

Thanks for the help. I've never attempted a pie crust on my own but maybe this is the week. The idea of a chicken pot pie is very comforting.

Sheltiemom,

I'll post my chicken taco recipe later today... I'm making it tonight!

Thanks again, Dana

--------------------
IBS-A

#335805 - 09/08/08 02:30 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

I also definitely want the chicken taco recipe, sound really good!
Rice is pretty cheap so make a lot of that

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

#335820 - 09/08/08 06:36 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

turkey meatloaf is always good I use shell's recipe that was posted on here and I usually make potatoes to go along with it

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#335822 - 09/08/08 08:18 PM
cooking4six

Thanks, Betharoo.

I don't know why I didn't think of turkey loaf.

Dana

--------------------
IBS-A

#335836 - 09/09/08 10:28 AM
em76

Reged: 05/10/08
Loc: Massachusetts

Baked potatoes - about once a week we have a baked potato night - comfort food and really cheap. My husband is English and they serve jacket potatoes w/ heinz baked beans (sounds nasty but it is super yummy). I just mash the beans before putting them on my potato, and serve a side of safe veggies. Or...I use leftover turkey chili, or turkey taco meat as a topper. You can get pretty creative w/ any topper and the kids might come up w/ some really interesting toppings.

With turkey taco's we always have some meat left over - we will take the leftover later in the week, make a batch of rice or pasta, add some safe veggies, add some salsa and you have "mexican rice".

Breakfast for dinner. Breakfast foods tend to be easier on the budget - so get some eggbeaters or egg white and make omlettes and toast w/ some safe veggies, french toast, baked french toast, or a frittata (i sub eggbeaters for eggs, add some extra potato, and don't add any milk products) its really yummy w/ some veggies.

Roasting chicken or turkey (if you can find it on sale) - get one that will serve more than one night - use the leftovers to make sandwiches, etc.

Risotto - get usually have a big box in the pantry and a little goes a long way. Cheap/filling and can made into a full meal w/ protein and veggies. To cut the cost, I use 1/2 stock and 1/2 water and just season a bit more w/ herbs and spices.

When we need to cut down on grocery costs I find we use lots of potatoes, frozen veggies (or if our local famers market is still set up we head there).

And you should look on Rachel Ray's website - she had some recipes that are double duty to be used for two nights, and some recipes that are really quick and cheap (and I have had really good luck w/ modifications to them to make them IBS safe).

--------------------
Started EFI 6/13/2008: IBS-D

#335842 - 09/09/08 11:14 AM
cooking4six

em76,

Wow, what a lot of great info!
I'll have to print this one out so I can refer to it.

Thanks so much.

Dana

--------------------
IBS-A

Turkey chili new
      #335897 - 09/10/08 03:46 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Turkey chili has sounded sooo good to me lately... do you have a recipe? If so can you share it? I would love to make it as the weather is starting to turn to fall here. Thanks!!!

Stefanie

#335905 - 09/10/08 05:57 PM
jonoma

Reged: 01/28/08
Loc: Michigan

I second the breakfast for dinner idea. We've started doing that regularly. The Restaurant Style Buttermilk Pancakes are VERY good. I usually buy a carton of soy milk, double the recipe (about 50 pancakes) and freeze whatever we don't eat in a freezer bag. They're easy to microwave for a quick breakfast later.

Re: Turkey chili new
      #335923 - 09/11/08 07:57 AM
em76

Reged: 05/10/08
Loc: Massachusetts

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, 2 turns of the pan
2 1/2 pounds ground turkey (85 percent lean) or ground turkey breast (99 percent lean), 2 packages
4 tablespoons dark chili powder, 2 palm fulls
2 tablespoons grill seasoning blend, any brand, 1 palm full
1 tablespoon cumin, 1/2 palm full
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 to 3 tablespoons hot sauce, medium to extra-spicy
1 large onion, quartered
2 large peppers, any color combination, red, green, purple, yellow or orange, chopped
1/2 bottle beer (the alcohol cooks out), about 1 cup
1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup smoky barbecue sauce
2 cups corn kernels, optional (I do not add, my husband adds it to his plate only)

Heat a pot over medium to medium high heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil, 3 turns of the pan, and the turkey meat. Season the meat with: chili powder, grill seasoning, cumin, Worcestershire and hot sauce. Break up the meat with the back of a wooden spoon into small crumbles.
Chop the onion, reserving 1/4 of it for topping the chili. Brown meat 5 minutes, then add onions and chopped bell peppers and cook 10 minutes more. Add beer and deglaze the pan, scraping up the drippings and cooking off the alcohol. Add tomato sauce and barbecue sauce and bring to a bubble. It using corn kernels add them now. Let chili simmer 10 minutes. Adjust seasonings and heat level to your taste. Remove from heat and serve.

Enjoy! It is a Rachael Ray Recipe, and it makes a boatload of chili!

I usually mix in some rice on my plate (to use less meat and get more SF) and serve w/ Heathers cornbread; or serve over mash potototes, or mix w/ rice and put in a sour dough bread bowl.

Leftovers are in abundance w/ the recipe, so we will use the chili and put it on french bread for some sloppy joes, over baked potatoes, mixed w/ some pasta, or in quesadilla w/ a little soy cheese. And it reheats really well, and freezes really well.

--------------------
Started EFI 6/13/2008: IBS-D

#335937 - 09/11/08 02:33 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Thank you!! It sounds really good, I cant wait to try it!!!

Turkey chili - has anyone tried this ?? new
      #368396 - 11/02/12 07:48 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Has anyone eaten this Turkey Chili recipe without any troubles?
Been looking for friendly ground turkey recipes, but his doesn't look ibs friendly at all.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

#369989 - 08/15/13 01:19 PM
gloglo

Reged: 07/06/12

could the beer be left out
It sounds delicious and we really like chili and I was so sad when I thought I couldn't use the recipe I had.
gloglo79

Sure - sub a fat free broth or even water. -nt- new
      #369990 - 08/15/13 06:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Turkey chili - has anyone tried this ?? new
      #370123 - 09/03/13 12:30 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Really late to this but there's an old chili thread for anyone who's interested:

Chili Recipes

There are also turkey burgers, turkey spaghetti sauce, and turkey meatloaf recipes on the Diet Board. However, my very favorite ground turkey recipe is this:

Maid-Rites

They are incredibly simple and insanely good.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 156 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 26231

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review