All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Gluten-free peppermint fudge cake??
      #334802 - 08/18/08 02:32 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Anyone ever make the peppermint fudge cake with gluten-free flour? Just wondering if it still turns out the same and tastes okay. I want to make it for a party and one of my friends has celiac.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Gluten-free peppermint fudge cake?? new
      #334898 - 08/19/08 02:08 PM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

I've never made that specific recipe, but I've had great results substituting Bob's Red Mill GF flour mix for traditional flours. You'll need some xanthum gum, it's pricey, but it only takes a small amount. I also use either very ripe bananas or frozen bananas in my GF baked products. It helps fight the dryness that plagues a lot of GF baked goods.

GOod luck, it sounds great!

#334950 - 08/20/08 04:16 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I want to say I made it GF a looong time ago, and it came out weird. But it was probably years ago, and I can't tell you what blend of flour I mixed up.

Hapamama gave you some good advice - some of the prepackaged flour mixes will give you better results. Just be careful - some of them can contain bean flours and be a little gassy!!

--------------------
IBS-C

Thanks, you two! new
      #334966 - 08/20/08 08:00 AM
Lisa Marie

My friend actually recommended the Bob's Red Mill GF flour, so I will pick up some of that. What is the xanthum gum for? Is that mentioned on the Bob's Red Mill bag?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Re: Thanks, you two! new
      #334987 - 08/20/08 11:02 AM
Hapamama

Reged: 05/15/08
Loc: Seattle

The zanthum gum is a stabilizing thickener that holds small particles of food together. I tried to skip it as an ingredient when I first started GF baking and what a disaster that was! The finished product was dry, flaky and really inedible. Bob's Red Mill makes an 8oz bag that is 10.99 at our WF's. I could not find it in the bulk dry goods section, but you may be able to in your area co-op or HFS. Let me know please how it turns out, it sounds so yummy, I'd love to make it for my family!

Re: Thanks, you two! new
      #335002 - 08/20/08 12:49 PM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

If you can find it, you can substitute guar gum for the xanthan gum - guar gum is often cheaper. Usually the cannister will tell you how much to add per cup of flour, or will tell you by recipe (ie: 2 tsp for a loaf of bread or whatever).

Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-C

You can also make the chocolate fallen souffle cake new
      #335020 - 08/20/08 03:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's gluten free to begin with - check here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/chocsf020905.html#fooddiet

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#335132 - 08/21/08 07:02 PM

Unregistered

Hey there. I see I'm a day late but I wanted to weigh in on the Bob's Red Mill gluten-free flour. I've used it in baked goods a few times and I have to say, I think it's absolutely disgusting. It tastes metallic and awful to me - absolutely ruins the whole dish/batch. I'd do a test run before you serve to your friends.

I made it this weekend and.... new
      #335248 - 08/25/08 09:18 AM
Lisa Marie

... it came out really well!! I added some extra peppermint and cocoa to help mask the flavor of the gluten-free flour and it tastes great. I think it might be a little drier than usual, so when I make it for my party this weekend I will add some extra oil. I used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free Flour and guar gum instead of xantham gum.

Thanks for the help!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 66 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6366

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review