All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Meltaway Raspberry Angel Kisses????
      #331310 - 06/19/08 02:34 PM
steffiejoy

Reged: 11/26/07
Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Has anyone made the Meltaway Raspberry Angle Kisses from Heathers Eating for IBS book?? I made them, and followed the recipe exactly...but they are really sticky! The outside seems hardish but the inside is a bit goey and sticky. Perhaps I didnt bake them long enough... but I did for the full 45 minutes! If anyone or Heather has any insight on why mine are so sticky (or maybe they are supposed to be) please help me. I'm a school teacher and home for summer break, so I've been baking and cooking new things!!! Thanks!!!

Stef

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hmmmm....do you have an oven thermometer? new
      #331345 - 06/20/08 09:40 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'd check and make sure your oven temp is accurate, and you also might have needed to just bake them a little longer. Meringue is very susceptible to humidity in the air, as well, and that can affect how the bake up.

The inside should be a little creamy, and not dry, but the outside should be dry and smooth to the touch. I'd guess they just needed to bake a bit longer - not all ovens are exactly the same, which is frustrating sometimes!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Hmmmm....do you have an oven thermometer? new
      #331353 - 06/20/08 11:39 AM
steffiejoy

Thank you so much for responding Heather! I dont have an oven thermometer but I think I am going to try again and bake them longer. The outside of them were really sticky but the tops did feel dry. Who knows! I did taste the corner of one and it tasted really really good! They just didnt stay together. So I definitly want to try again! Thanks again!!

Stef

Re: Meltaway Raspberry Angel Kisses???? new
      #331354 - 06/20/08 11:49 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I'm baking and cooking a ton too now that I'm off for summer! We'll have to share the good recipes! I just made my husband homemade strawberry ice cream. Boy was that hard not to taste!! But I'm making some sorbet as soon as the ice cream maker chills again...yum yum!

--------------------
IBS-A

#331355 - 06/20/08 12:37 PM
steffiejoy

I ordered an icecream maker!! Its on the way! I cant wait to make sorbet! You said soy bothers you?? Cause the tofu cheesecake was good! Currently I have an applesauce chocolate cake in the oven to bring to my parents. If its a success I will pass on the recipe! My mom has a recipe for pineapple sorbet that is just a pineapple put into a blender and sugar. Then you just freeze those two ingredients in the icecream maker. I will get the measurements for you if you like pineapple. Have fun!!

Stef

#331386 - 06/21/08 06:48 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

I love pineapple! yum!
Soy is hit and miss for me... I have a soy chai latte from Starbucks now and then, and sometimes it doesn't affect me at all, and other times I'm just really gassy....I took a beano before my chai the other night and that worked. So I might make the cheesecake and rely on beano! I miss good NY cheesecake...
I'm going to make strawberry sorbet tonight if I get time. I'll let you know!

--------------------
IBS-A

some tips for making meringue cookliesRe: Meltaway Raspberry Angel Kisses???? new
      #331475 - 06/23/08 08:55 PM
Joaniebird

Reged: 09/30/06
Loc: Connecticut

Hi,
I never did make her raspberry angel cookies, but I have made meringue cookies quite often. First of all, don't make meringue cookies when the weather is hot and muggy because they don't crisp properly in that kind of weather and they don't keep in a tin well in that kind of weather. I usually make them in the fall and winter just because they are so temperamental in the hot weather.

I usually bake them at 250 degrees or 300 degrees until they are crisp and sound hollow when I tap them, but they are not brown. Take them out and let them dry on a rack until they are crisp outside and slightly gooey inside. Too gooey means they didn't bake long enough and didn't dry long enough. Some people turn off the oven and let them stay in there with the door cracked open a bit for an hour or so. Some people leave them in a cold oven overnight and call them "Go to Sleep Cookies". I just leave mine on the rack to dry for an hour or so and then I put them in an old fashioned cookie tin lined with foil. Never refrigerate them.

--------------------
Joaniebird

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 430 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review