All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lemon Cake
      #328636 - 04/22/08 06:49 AM
jonoma

Reged: 01/28/08
Loc: Michigan

Are boxed cake mixes okay? This looks good...

Lemon Cake
from Taste of Home Everyday Light Meals
submitted by Bonita Giesbrecht, Glenn, CA

1 pkg (18 1/4 oz) white cake mix
1 pkg (3 oz) lemon gelatin
1 cup + 2 tablespoons water
4 egg whites
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 teaspoon lemon extract
4 drops yellow food coloring (optional)

Lemon Glaze
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup lemon juice

In large mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, gelatin, water, egg whites, applesauce, oil, extract and food coloring (if desired). Beat on medium speed for 2 min. Pour into 13x9x2" baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, for glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth. Drizzle about 1/3 of glaze over cake. Carefully spread evenly. Repeat with remaining glaze. Cool completely.

Yield: 15 servings

Nutrition facts for 1 piece:
225 calories, 5 g fat (1 g sat fat), 0 cholesterol, 226 mg sodium, 43 g carb, trace fiber, 3 g protein

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lemon Cake new
      #328642 - 04/22/08 09:27 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

This looks great - I love lemon.

You just have to read the list of ingredients in boxed cake mixes. Usually if they have anything off-limits it's dairy. Try Duncan Hines - for a while they were putting "non-fat dry milk" in their mixes but they claim to have stopped that. I don't have a box of their white cake mix in the house but it should be milk-free. If not, try a store brand - they are sometimes safer than national brands.

Also, if you're doing well and any cake mix brand lists something like "non-fat dry milk" as the last ingredient, there's a good chance the amount is so small you'll be fine.

If you make this, please post how it comes out - and I'll do the same.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

duncan hines new
      #328976 - 04/27/08 12:27 PM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I check the back of the duncan hines lemon cake mix and no milk is added! hth.
emmasmom
ibs-c
gas

Re: Lemon Cake new
      #329236 - 05/02/08 08:25 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I made this a couple of days ago. It was easy and it is yummy. The only problem I had was that the cake stuck to the pan in the very middle - next time I'll cut a sheet of waxed paper for the bottom of the pan and lay it in there after I Pam it. Also, I cooked it a few minutes longer than the maximum recommended time.

I made this with Duncan Hines White cake mix. It does have some dairy. In the list of "less than 2 percent" ingredients, it lists whey. I did fine with it but if you want completely dairy-free, take a look at some store brands. I also wondered how this would be if I started with a lemon cake mix. Hmm.

The cake seems very rich and is creamy and dense. For me, though, the Duncan Hines Lemon Supreme cake mix is just as good. (Although the batter for this is fabulous - next time maybe I just won't bother cooking it.)

Joe, though, loved this. After we had some I was talking about how much room the cake would take up on my already crowded counters. Joe looked at me and said, "We could always just eat the whole thing right now."

This would definitely be a crowd pleaser so it's the perfect yummy cake to take to a party - no one will ever guess it's low fat and the glaze makes it very special.

Thanks, jonoma.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Could I use oil instead of applesauce in this?-nt new
      #364704 - 05/11/11 04:22 PM
emmasmom

Anyone I want to make this for a cookout!-nt new
      #364891 - 05/25/11 10:23 AM
emmasmom

Probably... new
      #364892 - 05/25/11 02:52 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

maybe eliminate the extra tablespoon of canola. 1/3 cup oil for a whole cake is not much, so fat content should be fine.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thank you very much-nt new
      #364902 - 05/26/11 07:42 AM
emmasmom

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 82 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 11499

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review