All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Does anyone have any apple recipes that use a LOT of apples?
      #317039 - 10/19/07 03:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I've ended up with 15 of them in the fridge, and all my recipes use 2-3 apples at most. I don't just want to make applesauce, would like something baked instead. Any recipes out there that use a lot of apples?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Does anyone have any apple recipes that use a LOT of apples? new
      #317103 - 10/20/07 07:00 PM
meimei

Reged: 12/02/06
Loc: Chicago

Hi Heather,

I posted an apple crisp recipe on 10/13. It is really good! You could double it, and it would use up six apples. I have a refrig full of apples from Michigan, and I have been making it like crazy for all my neighbors and family (I keep the low-fat version for me!). I think I will end up making sauce too!

MeiMei

apple plum chutney new
      #317120 - 10/21/07 05:11 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You may want to make something like this- it is from Delicious Living Magazine (an organic magazine at supermarkets).
1 3/4c rice or white vinegar
1 1/2c cane sugar
1# granny smith, peeled, cored, chopped into 1" pieces
2 2 1/2" pieces cinnamon
1 large white onion, minced
1 jalapeno, minced
2 garlic cloves minced
1T minced ginger
1/2t powd. mustard
1/8t cayenne
1t salt
1 bay leaf
1/4c raisins
1/2" firm plums, cored and cut into 1/2" pieces.
Bring vinegar and sugar to boil in 4q pot- until sugar dissolves. Add apples through bay leaf, simmer uncovered 20 minutes.
Add raisins and cook 10 more minutes, add plums and cook 10 more, or until thickened. Remove bay leaf and cinnamon sticks. Makes 4 cups. Doesn't say how long it stores.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#317131 - 10/22/07 02:54 AM
blackrvn5

Reged: 04/02/07
Loc: Virginia

When we went apple picking last month we came home with almost 60 apples. I made your apple pumpkin spice bread, muffins, applesauce, and prepared pies. I picked up aluminum pie pans and put all the ingredients in for the apple pie minus the crust and just froze it like that. When Thanksgiving comes I'll just pull one out place it in the crust and bake.

--------------------
Susan
IBS-A, Gas, Pain, Reflux
"The first in time and the first in importance of the influences upon the mind is that of nature. Every day, the sun; and after sunset, night and her stars. Ever the winds blow; ever the grass grows."
Emerson, August 31, 1837

#317135 - 10/22/07 07:51 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I have a couple of recipes I've been laying off to try. One is for Naked Apple Pie - apple pie without a crust. It only uses 2 apples but I imagine you could make a baking dish full instead of just a pie plate full.

The other is for Apples and Onions. It calls for a pound of apples and a pound of onions along with a few other ingredients. You bake it and use as a side dish. The recipe calls for Golden Delicious apples but I imagine any apple would do. (I hate Delicious apples and would definitely use something else.)

If either of these sounds interesting, let me know and I'll post the recipe(s).

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Yes, that's on my list!! -nt- new
      #317382 - 10/25/07 09:39 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks guys! Sand, I'd love to try the apple/onion recipe. -nt- new
      #317383 - 10/25/07 09:40 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Baked Apples and Onions new
      #317429 - 10/25/07 02:02 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here it is, Heather. I'll be interested to hear how it comes out if you make it.

I haven't tried this recipe but it looks interesting. I got it from my Aunt Marion who cut it out of some newspaper and - as far as I know - never made it. Like me, she was an inveterate recipe clipper but not so good on the actual cooking part.

The original recipe calls for Golden Delicious apples. I don't like Delicious apples and particularly don't like the Golden kind, so I would use something else.

Baked Apples and Onions
Yield: 4 or 5 servings

1 pound apples
1 pound onions
2 Tablespoons flour
2 Tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt

Core and thinly slice the apples.
Peel and thinly slice the onions.
Toss apples with flour, sugar, and salt.
Arrange apples and onions in alternate layers in baking dish.
Cover and bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.
Uncover; if desired, place under broiler for a few minutes to brown.

Until you try it, you won't believe how good this apple-onion combination is as a side dish.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Thanks! I'll give it a shot and let you know. -nt- new
      #317456 - 10/25/07 04:33 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5527

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review