Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
gluten free, dairy free cake recipe?
      #316058 - 10/04/07 05:34 AM
caputsky

Reged: 03/24/07
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Hi,

A friend of mine and I are celebrating our birthdays this weekend, because they are close together in October. I want to make a cake that both of us can eat. The difficulty is that she has celiac's disease, and needs everything gluten-free, while I of course can't have dairy due to IBS. Does anyone have any suggestions for a recipe that is not too complicated? I'm a pretty decent baker, but also don't want to go out and buy a ton of products. I do have several types of gluten-free flour (rice, corn, potato) because at one point I though I needed to go wheat-free for my symptoms. Anyway, any recipe ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Julie
IBS-D, GERD, lactose intolerant

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gluten free, dairy free cake recipe? new
      #316060 - 10/04/07 06:38 AM
abby6126

Reged: 04/09/07
Loc: Towson MD

If you dont want to make it from scratch, there is a health food store in Towson called health concern that has cake, brownie and frosting mixes that are both dairy and gluten free. Their fudge brownie mix is AMAZING. I made it for friends last week and they loved them and so did i:)!

--------------------
Abby-IBS-C, Lactose Intolerant, fructose sensitive

Chocolate fallen souffle cake... new
      #316074 - 10/04/07 12:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

from Eating for IBS, right here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/chocsf020905.html#fooddiet

Dairy free, gluten free, and fabulous!!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#316102 - 10/05/07 05:15 AM
caputsky

Thanks Abby! I'll have to check out that store. I always forget that many natural food stores are independently owned instead of chains like Whole Foods. Just thinking about those brownies is making me sooo hungry And it's so great to have someone in MD who has advice for specific places to go...thanks mucho again!!!

Julie

--------------------
"We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it."

Re: Chocolate fallen souffle cake... - thanks and one more question... new
      #316103 - 10/05/07 05:17 AM
caputsky

Thanks, Heather, this sounds perfect. I just have one question. Whenever I see recipes that have egg whites that you need to whip to form "stiff peaks" I tend to shy away from them because I'm not sure exactly what this means. Could you enlighten me on this? Is this a complicated technique or is it easier than it sounds? Thanks again!

Julie

--------------------

#316105 - 10/05/07 06:47 AM
abby6126

Your very welcome. I actually brought a left over brownie for lunch today...so excited to eat it! We should get together soon for a safe ibs dinner and chocolate brownies!!!

--------------------

#316113 - 10/05/07 12:23 PM
caputsky

We definitely should! I'm up for cooking IBS friendly recipes anytime I'll be sure to let you know how my trip to the Towson store goes and any "goodies" I pick up, hehe!

Julie

--------------------

Re: Chocolate fallen souffle cake... - thanks and one more question... new
      #316133 - 10/06/07 07:46 AM
Ulrika

Reged: 08/20/06
Loc: Uppsala, Sweden

I have made this cake a couple of times with great result. I just whip and whip (electrical beater is a must - at least I don't have the arms to do it by hand) and it's pretty much done when you can form a big peak that stays up after you remove the whisk. Not complicated at all.

Hope that helps.

/Ulrika

Re: gluten free, dairy free cake recipe? - abby! new
      #316205 - 10/07/07 04:43 PM
caputsky

OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I don't know if you got the same brand of gluten-free, dairy-free brownie mix as I found, but it was absolutely AMAZING. The name of the company was "The Cravings Place" and boy are they named correctly. The brownies were a huge success, and all the other people there could not believe that it was gluten and dairy free. The only problem is that there were no leftovers for me to bring home with me, hehe. Thanks so much for the tips and the name of that health food store -- I will definitely be going back there soon

Julie

--------------------

Re: gluten free, dairy free cake recipe? - abby! new
      #316211 - 10/07/07 05:35 PM
abby6126

Julie, I am so glad that the brownies went over well. I actually made a gingerbread from that same brand this weekend! The one that I bought was a fudge brownie and the brand is cherybrook kitchen; although im not sure if it is gluten free. I love health concern and usually go there one a week. So happy you liked it!!!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review