All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
kids ,diet, menus
      #3037 - 03/17/03 02:24 PM
kidswithIBS

Reged: 03/17/03
Loc: Ill, USA

OK i have one child with diagnosed IBS and one whose stomach hurts for the last 5 weeks. and 3 semi normal ones . I have tried the diet nad agree it works but dh and kids fuss about eating new stuff and there are too many leftovers...yadayadayada. any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Any moms on here with ideas for this? new
      #3144 - 03/18/03 12:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Kid-friendly and IBS-safe foods, recipes, suggestion? I always think of stocking up at a health food store on the healthy versions of junk foods kids love - soy dogs, soy chicken nuggets, baked chips, soy or rice ice cream, gardenburgers, etc. There were recent newsletter recipes for tuna casserole, pancakes, chicken pot pie, brownies, bread pudding - those seem pretty likely to make kids happy. They're posted at web page

I was an odd little kid who liked ethnic and spicy foods and hated the all-American stuff, so I'm not a great resource for questions on this topic.

Can someone help out?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: kids ,diet, menus new
      #3163 - 03/18/03 01:53 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

What do your kids like? I have been trying to think of somethings but my kids love bologna, cheese, hot dogs and mac n cheese. They don't have Ibs so if they won't eat what we eat then they don't eat or sometimes I will make them a hot dog. This is a different situation. Can they eat spagetti? We eat a lot of rice and they love it. If they like hamburgers you can always make or buy ckicken or turkey burgers. Veggie dogs aren't bad. Oh you know what else is good is grilled cheese. I spray bread with canola spray and use soy cheese and then cook it on my electric frying pan. We will do that and tomato soup for a quick dinner. They love tomato soup. Kids can sometimes be so different.

#3168 - 03/18/03 02:04 PM
kidswithIBS

what do they like? hamburger helper, rice a roni, chicken , bologna-but hamb helper is fattning even with turkey in it. as is lunchmeat plus it has nitrates in it. I tried balsami rice :I think thats right. also arborito rice but they fuss about the taste unlike rice a roni its not near as salty. 1 of them likes salad,and peanut butter. my dd has IBS and GERD so spagetti is out. my dh says I don't cook beans enough and he's a big meat eater. He says I should cook 2 meals one for them and one for us. I really don't have the time to do that.

Re: Any moms on here with ideas for this? - Didn't have kids... new
      #3322 - 03/19/03 11:47 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Everybody - I never had kids so I don't know what they like or think they don't like. I'm not a good source on this one.

Shron

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Any moms on here with ideas for this? new
      #3365 - 03/19/03 05:15 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Kids LOVE fingerfood--I don't know much yet about IBS meals--but if there's a way to make a meal into fingerfood--they'll eat it up (in my experience anyway). I teach five years old--they bring anything from chocolate sandwhiches (no joke!) to pasta to bagels to pizza (a lot of pizza)--mostly sandwhiches and things they can hold in their hand! I don't know if this works--but maybe cut their food in food shapes (how old are they?) and that will get them to eat their food? Hope this is helpful! Good luck!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Chicken Nuggets/Oven Fries new
      #3376 - 03/19/03 05:44 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey! Ruchie talking of finger foods just reminded me of one of my own favs. I don't have any kids, but I like this myself. I make homemade chicken nuggets & oven fries.

Just cut up chicken breasts into bite size pieces (I like to use kitchen shears), or you could probably do strips like chicken fingers, shake in a bag with bread crumbs, & bake. Super fast too--they're done in like 10 min or so!

For potato wedges/fries, cut up potatoes, toss with teeny bit of oil (or I think you can use Pam too) bake, and voila! These take longer than the chicken, so I'd start these first. You can even season them & have different kinds, but I'm pretty much a plane jane...just give me a little salt & the ketchup and I'm a happy camper!

Hope this helps!

Mags

#3378 - 03/19/03 05:46 PM
SharonMello

How about using cookie cutters to cut the bread/sandwiches into different "things"? That might get them to eat.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Any moms on here with ideas for this? Sharon new
      #3381 - 03/19/03 05:50 PM
Snow for Sarala

EXACTLY what I pictured!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Edited by Ruchie (03/19/03 05:51 PM)

#3384 - 03/19/03 06:07 PM
Snow for Sarala

Mags,

This sounds YUMMY! Thakns bunches!!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3422 - 03/20/03 05:12 AM
torbetta

I meant to post that earlier. Of course I was thinking you could add soy parm and seasonings to the bread crumb mixture. I have made oven fries with a crinkle cutter and they looked just like fries and for some reason my kids couldn't get enough. If I make oven non-french frie looking roasted potatoes they will barely touch them. Go figure.

#3426 - 03/20/03 05:30 AM
kidswithIBS

Thanks - the food shapes is pretty good. My kids ages are 5, 6, 8,9,11 yo. what ideas do you have for sauce on spagetti thats not red or fishy?

#3427 - 03/20/03 05:32 AM
kidswithIBS

Thats a good idea!

#3428 - 03/20/03 05:39 AM
Snow for Sarala

Do you have Heather's book Eating for IBS? She has a lot of great looking pasta sauces in the book. As a kid, my family and I ate fettucine alfredo--Heather has a recipe for Fettutcine with Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce (page 216). If that sounds too fancy for your kids--you might want to try using the mac and cheese recipe and varying it (maybe add parm. soy cheese to make it more like alfredo sauce?) Good luck--and if you don't have Eating for IBS let me know and I'll pass on the recipe!!!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3430 - 03/20/03 05:51 AM
torbetta

Do a search for alfredo sauce. Heather had a link on here and it is really good. I made it last week and my girls loved it. I ran out of soy parm. so I left it out. I added shrimp to it and shrimp has to be their favorite. Who thought kids would love shrimp?

Re: Any moms on here with ideas for this? Thanks Torbetta! new
      #3431 - 03/20/03 06:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

This recipe from the link sounds YUMMY! If only I could find Kosher soy cheese...Thanks so much for your help!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#3478 - 03/20/03 03:40 PM
torbetta

I made pizza tonight for my daughters using English muffins. I made my own sauce but I know one of your kids can't have tomato based sauces. I don't know if this would work, but my kids love dressing so I was thinking maybe a creamy soy dressing or fat free ranch might work. I will have to try it. Anyways, I put rice cheese on mine, reg. moz. on theirs and baked it at 400 until cheese melts @ 10-15 min. I found the broiler worked better for the rice cheese, plus I like it crispy.

Re: Terrific Tortilla Coins new
      #3484 - 03/20/03 04:09 PM
*Melissa*

Hi! I remembered something else today. I saw this in a Kraft magazine about a month or 2 ago. I think it was in an article about different/new lunches to send kids to school with. (I actually want to try it myself. )

I would just sub the whole wheat tortilla for a flour tortilla & cut back on the peanut butter. Does anyone know how much peanut butter is okay?

Here's the link: Terrific Tortilla Coins

Mags

#3529 - 03/20/03 08:18 PM
SharonMello

KWIBS - was just going through The Baker's Catalogue and I found some neat cookie cutters that you could use for cutting their foods--not necessarily for cookies. One set is in the shape of zoo animals, nine tin cutters for $12.95. The animals ranged from baby elephants, giraffe, kangaroo, camel, lion, hippo and rhino, mama elephant. Sizes are 2 in to 3-3/4". Toll free #800.827.6836 or www.bakerscatalogue.com; www.bakingcircle.com

Also in the same book (and websites)are acyrlic cookie cutters, 100 of 'em, in the 3 to 4" size range; numbers and letters smaller. They have stars, teddy bears, dinosaurs, bicycles, sailboats...every shape a kid could need. Cutters are 9.95. They also have FooDoodler markers, broad tip felt tip pens to color cookies you make with the cutters.

Kinda makes me wish I was a kid again. They didn't have this cool stuff when I was young.

Have fun and hope your kids like 'em if you buy 'em.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3577 - 03/21/03 07:37 AM
torbetta

Hey thanks, my kids will love these. Have you ever baked tortillas in the oven. They are so good. I cut them up and put on a baking sheet, baking them at @350 for 10 min. Not sure of the time, I just keep checking them. If I run out of baked tortillas this is a quick replacement plus they usually cost less.

#3629 - 03/21/03 10:57 AM
SharonMello

Heidi - you could lightly spray the flour tortillas with water or cooking spray and sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on them for a sweet snack.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#3641 - 03/21/03 12:07 PM
torbetta

Done that too. Have to watch them more to make sure they don't burn but they are good too.

#3643 - 03/21/03 12:30 PM
*Melissa*

My mom does something similar to that for my little brother & sister. She sprinkles a tortilla with the cinnamon & sugar & butter (but you could use the cooking spray), folds it in half, nukes it to warm it( or is it nuke it then fold it in half ), then cuts it in triangles, kind of like a quesadilla. The kids love them.

I used to do this with cheese (back in the good old days lol) instead of cinnamon/sugar & dip the triangles in salsa. I'm thinking about trying it with soy cheese.

#3644 - 03/21/03 12:35 PM
torbetta

That sounds so good. I may have to try that right now! Seems like it might fold better after nuking it so it is more pliable.

#3645 - 03/21/03 12:42 PM
*Melissa*

I was thinking the same thing about being pliable! Hope you like them!

Isn't that funny when you read something, you just have to have it. I know Wed. night after I posted that nugget/oven fries, I was dying for it! I had chicken thawing for last night to make Easy Peachy Chicken, but I ended up doing the nuggets & fries instead!

#3649 - 03/21/03 01:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

This is fabulous with soy cheese! I actually put the cheese on the tortilla and then broil it till it melts. I eat it plain or dice up a bit of tomato or avocado, roll it up and yum!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#3657 - 03/21/03 02:14 PM
torbetta

I know what you mean. I forgot to eat lunch today so I had that, I know not the best, but it was good. I was thinking broling would make it better since I love crispy things.

Re: Alfredo with Shrimp-thanks! new
      #4313 - 03/27/03 03:16 PM
*Melissa*

I tried this last night with the shrimp. It was SOOO good! Even the boyfriend liked it! I had it for lunch today & it was still good as leftovers.

Thanks for the shrimp tip!

#4324 - 03/27/03 05:03 PM
torbetta

Your welcome. We had it tonight. I steamed some broccoli and added it to the alfredo sauce and pasta and everyone goobled it up. I still have a lot left over so I look forward to lunch tomorrow. I was thinking about adding chicken tonight but I ran out of time. I'll have to do that next time.

#4325 - 03/27/03 05:13 PM
*Melissa*

That sounds perfect! I don't know why I didn't think of that before--it seems so obvious to add broccoli! You're a genious!

This recipe is so versatile--I love it! Thanks again!

Mags

#4327 - 03/27/03 05:18 PM
torbetta

Thanks for calling me a genious. Too bad I burned the toast for dinner. I just said screw the toast. I felt like an idiot. Too many distractions. The stupid part is I was trying to figure out what was burning. Didn't even remember putting it in. That is really bad.

Thank God it is a quick dinner, huh?

Re: LOL new
      #4329 - 03/27/03 05:22 PM
*Melissa*

HAHA! That sounds like something I would do! Now I don't feel so alone.

#6607 - 04/20/03 07:57 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I remembered reading your idea for English muffin pizzas awhile back, so that's what my boyfriend and I had for dinner last night--three halves each, with leftover mushroom spaghetti sauce and mozzarella-flavor SoyaKaas cheese. We toasted the English muffins under the broiler first so they wouldn't get soggy, then spooned on sauce and piled on grated cheese, then baked them till the cheese melted (about 5 minutes at 400 degrees). The cheese wasn't browned yet, but a few minutes under the broiler did the trick--delicious. Thanks for the idea.

Re: your welcome nt new
      #6617 - 04/21/03 06:12 AM
torbetta

Re: Alfredo with Shrimp where do I get this recipe? new
      #6640 - 04/21/03 03:34 PM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

Need this I have never been able to eat it and I would love too

--------------------
Gretchen

#6656 - 04/21/03 05:01 PM
SharonMello

Nurturingkneads - here's the website:

http://www.veganchef.com/nondairyalf.htm

Happy cooking!

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#6670 - 04/21/03 06:14 PM
*Melissa*

If you try it, it's also good with chicken. So far, I've made it with shrimp, shrimp & broccoli, and chicken & broccoli, and the chicken & broccoli has been our favorite. I cut the broccoli into to bite size pieces and just cook it with the pasta (we like yolk-free egg noodles), cut the chicken into bite size pieces and cook till done in frying pan, then mix all together! It's SOOO YUMMY!!! Hope you like it too!

#6673 - 04/21/03 06:24 PM
canyontinsley

Reged: 04/12/03
Loc: Canyon, TX

I have a question about the fries. Can you buy the bagged potatoes (fries) and then just bake them in the oven. Do you have to have fresh potatoes? I've never tried this, and I just wanted to know if it would make me sick before I did.

#6674 - 04/21/03 06:31 PM
*Melissa*

I'm not positive, but if you mean the frozen fries kind, then I think they've already been deep fried, and then you heat them in the oven, so those would be a bigtime NO! They're poisonous little grease sticks taunting us to eat them and suffer the consequences!

Unless you mean a different kind? Do they make precut fresh? I wouldn't think they did, because fresh cut potatoes brown if you leave them out. Or precut, not cooked frozen?

Okay, is that really too many questions/info, or is that just me?

Actually, oven fries with fresh potatoes are super easy and really fast. I saw Sharon just posted a few recipes on how to make them too.

Good grief, I hope this helps. I feel like I'm rambling like a maniac tonight!

#6709 - 04/22/03 07:49 AM
torbetta

They are usually high in fat. I have shoestring fries here and there are 50 calories from fat. They are quick but they can be deadly. I think making them fresh tastes so much better and you can control what goes in them.

#13024 - 07/02/03 01:34 PM
Kristina

Reged: 07/02/03

What oven temp do you cook these at? I have a step daughter, who we only get during visitation, who was just diagnosed with IBS. Unfortunately, I also have a VERY PICKY 2 year old so I'm trying to get ideas for things both kids will be able to eat. All suggestions will be welcome.

#13034 - 07/02/03 04:07 PM
*Melissa*

I usually do 450F. The fries take about 1/2 hr or so and the chicken nuggets are about 10 min. Sometimes I get impatient with the potatoes and for the last bit I just stick the broiler on to brown them up. You know when they start "whistling", they don't have much longer to go. There's also some recipes on the boards for different variations for the oven fries. Check the index. They should be listed under sides.

Re: Alfredo Sauce...THANKS! new
      #16339 - 08/05/03 11:30 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh, thank you sooooo much!! I'm gonna have to try this one!! sounds.....YUMMY

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Alfredo Sauce...THANKS! new
      #16343 - 08/05/03 11:37 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hey, welcome to the board! You're a newbie in my own back yard...I'm on Capitol Hill!

- H

--------------------

Thanks neighbor... for everything!! new
      #16346 - 08/05/03 11:53 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Really.... then can I hire you to be my personal cook? We are on Alki Beach.... I just got your book yesterday.... I read it out loud to my hubby until 11:30pm.... GREAT BOOK.... can't wait to shop & cook and feel better!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 321 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review