1 large onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lb short pasta, cooked

Drain and puree one jar of roasted red peppers in a food processor; set aside. Drain and slice second jar of red peppers; set aside.

Cook turkey, onion, and garlic in olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until onion is softened, about 10 minutes.

Stir in pureed peppers, sliced peppers, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper. Cook 5 minutes; immediately toss with pasta.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Turkey and Roasted Red Pepper Pasta new
      #29447 - 11/30/03 05:14 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Mags,
You always come through with great recipes!
Thanks,
Joan

#29686 - 12/02/03 09:23 AM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Hi Mags,
This sounds delicious. Was it? Will you be adding it to the Recipe index? Txs, LL
PS: how are the wedding plans going?

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

#29700 - 12/02/03 11:11 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Oh Mags.... my mouth is watering!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#29787 - 12/02/03 07:24 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Of course it will be added to the index! That's where they all wind up! Well, if any are missing, let me know, because it was a mistake!

The wedding plans are coming along pretty good - next Monday I go on my first trip gown shopping! I can't wait!

Good to know that all recipes go into the index. Have fun shopping, go for the sexy one!-nt new
      #29799 - 12/02/03 08:01 PM
lithelady

--------------------

Mags, I am making this for supper toingt. Can not wait it eat it. NT new
      #29849 - 12/03/03 08:54 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Re: Mags, I am making this for supper toingt. Can not wait it eat it. NT new
      #29857 - 12/03/03 09:49 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Oooh! Let me know what you think!

I made it the other night, and the leftovers for lunch the next day were even better!

Re: Mags, I am making this for supper toingt. Can not wait it eat it. NT new
      #29962 - 12/03/03 08:19 PM
BarbaraS

I'll have to make it tomorrow.
I didn't have time to go to the grocery store - I was too busy studying for my Chemistry final. The next thing I know it's 3:00 and I have to pick my kids up from school.

Mags, where can I find red roasted red peppers? new
      #30148 - 12/05/03 09:05 AM
BarbaraS

I looked in the Mexican asile, the heatlth food section and Italian section. Are the roasted red peppers just the regular red peppers or the spicy ones?

Look near the pickles.... new
      #30186 - 12/05/03 11:44 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

regular grocery stores should have these, and they're not spicy at all. Just regular red bell peppers, and very mild.

Cheaper option - make your own. Take whole fresh red bell peppers and put them in a shallow baking pan, place directly under your oven broiler, and broil until they blacken and blister. You'll have to turn the peppers several times so they roast evenly.

You can also do this over a gas burner if you have a gas stove, and you can even do it over a barbecue grill in the summer. Any high, direct heat that blackens the peppers will work.

When they're black all over (very scary looking - don't worry - they might even catch fire a little bit in places) take away from heat and put in a paper bag for 20-30 minutes until cool. Once cool, just pull the blackened skin off (it will slip right away), remove stem and seeds. Don't worry about little bits of black that remain, just get most of the skin off and discard it.

There you go! If you have kids this is a super fun kitchen project because you get to deliberately burn food and make something that looks like a complete disaster, but turns out to magically taste great.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather- how many fresh red peppers will it take to make 24 oz of roasted like the recipe requires?-nt new
      #30211 - 12/05/03 01:29 PM
lithelady

--------------------

Oh geez, you're making me do math in my head... new
      #30217 - 12/05/03 01:39 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Actually, 24 oz. of fresh red bell peppers should give you something fairly close to that when roasted - I think! You'll lose the weight of the stems, and a lot of liquid will roast out, but the skins don't weight much of anything. Hmmm...maybe the liquid would really add up to a lot of ounces.

Try starting with 1/3 more weight in fresh peppers than you need roasted. If you wind up with extras, that's okay. You can toss them in a little vinaigrette and they'll keep in the fridge for several days. They're terrific on pizza, or toasted baguettes with a smidge of olive oil and (if you like this sort of thing) a bit of anchovy paste. You can also throw them in soups, other pastas, dips and spreads. Or freeze 'em! They're one of those "specialty" ingredients that is really so simple to have on hand, like capers. They make whatever you add them to taste gourmet-ish with zero extra effort.

Also - if you find you really like them, I think Costco carries big jars. They can be really overpriced in grocery stores.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather,txs for doing the math! What do you think re: my post today abt aloe vera juice-nt new
      #30226 - 12/05/03 02:20 PM
lithelady

--------------------

Aloe new
      #30230 - 12/05/03 02:50 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Aloe can be helpful or hurtful - seems to be lots of individual variation here. It tends to cause cramps and diarrhea for some folks. For others, it's helpful for constipation and doesn't cause problems. I've never tried it.

Sorry this ain't too helpful...

- H

--------------------

Re: Aloe- txs it's definitely helpful b/ c it's given me the certainty to give it a try. new
      #30234 - 12/05/03 02:54 PM
lithelady

I'll let you know what happens. I'm going to start w/ 2 ozs of 100% aloe vera juice and add more in a few hours if I don't get any results. I'll be back w/ f/u....wish me luck!

--------------------

Re: Look near the pickles.... new
      #30245 - 12/05/03 04:12 PM
BarbaraS

Thanks a bunch Heather!!
Yes, my boys would love to see peppers burning in my oven. I hope they don't get any ideas after that.

Mags I made this..... new
      #30664 - 12/08/03 08:26 PM
BarbaraS

tonight for supper. Believe it or not my husband was excited about the meal. My husband is afraid to try new things, especially from the IBS board. Funny part about it - my kids thought it was tomato sauce, Hee Hee

I chopped up chicken breast instead of ground turkey. Unlike Shell's husband - my husband know the difference between beef and turkey.

Re: Sooo good! new
      #295264 - 01/04/07 04:04 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I just made this tonight, it's so delicious! Great for anyone who loves red peppers. I used to always have roasted red peppers and chicken pizza, and I think this pasta dish will satisfy my cravings!

To get a bit more SF buffer with it, I added mushrooms and ate it with some fresh french bread (as well as the white pasta).

--------------------
Kat

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 13612

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review