All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HELP, NEED RECIPE FOR CHILD
      #288301 - 10/28/06 06:55 PM
dinaw

Reged: 10/28/06

My son has been suffering with IBS (diarreha) and I am afraid to feed him anything cause we are not sure yet what he can and can't eat. I have just finished reading the basics on this site and have a little bit of an idea AND I have ordered Heather's recipe book BUT until it comes in does anyone have quick and easy recipes that a child (12) would really like for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, anything really....my son loves to eat so this is really hard for him. Any help is greatly appreciated

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HELP, NEED RECIPE FOR CHILD new
      #288302 - 10/28/06 07:03 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Without knowing what your son likes in the first place, it's really hard to suggest anything.

However, if you browse the recipe index, you will find a couple recipes for safe macaroni and cheese, among other things. There may be some chicken tender recipes, too.

Heather's corn bread recipe is really good for breakfast (I've always liked corn bread.)

#288310 - 10/29/06 06:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

You can get to some of the recipes from the Eating For IBS Cookbook here. The Brown Sugar Banana Bread is pretty simple and low fat and I imagine your son would like that for breakfast. And the Honey-Glazed Snack Mix is simple and yummy - just be sure to stir a lot while it cooks and while it cools.

Beyond that, I'd cruise through the Recipe Index and see what looks good. Since your son has IBS-D, I'd be very cautious about fat at least until he gets stable.

I like HanSolo's Chicken Nuggets and you can serve them with Oven Fries - I make these with garlic salt instead of the fresh garlic. You could also try MCV's Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes - you can serve that with Shell's Honey Chicken.

For snacks, applesauce (I eat the Mott's Natural), bananas, and any of the zillions of sweets in the Recipe Index. Anti-Depressant Brownies are a classic favorite and lately I've been addicted to the Pudding Brownies from the Newsletter Archives.

If your son likes spaghetti, there are spaghetti sauce recipes in the index, too.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#288320 - 10/29/06 09:01 AM
feelinggood

Reged: 09/11/06

What about a smoothie - use rice or soy milk, add defrosted strawberries, a little sweetner.
-oatmeal,(or cream of wheat or cream of brown rice) brown sugar and some diced apples cooked in the oatmeal. Top with rice or soy milk
-white tortillia (check that is low fat and no dairy or egg) spread thinly with peanut butter and rolled up
-veggie broth with cooked up brown rice macaroni in it (Tinkyada brown rice pasta is the best one I have found)
-pretzels are good for a quick snack
-applesauce - homemade is best, unless you can find one that has no ascorbic or citric acid in it-
- I eat alot of qunoia for protein with steamed zuchinni on the side (not sure if a twelve year old would go for that?)
Lots of recipe information as you browse the site!

#288321 - 10/29/06 09:03 AM
feelinggood

Have you read about the acacia powder on the site? It may be worth trying as it seems to help with IBS quite a bit.

#288322 - 10/29/06 09:04 AM
feelinggood

P.S. Make sure is well hydrated with water to help with the SF - IF to work properly.

#288323 - 10/29/06 09:06 AM
feelinggood

P.S.S. Personally I have found that having SF for every meal (first in the meal) helps alot. Whether it be pasta, bread, rice, brown rice cereal.........the SF helps alot when eaten first and with every meal .........does not have to be a huge serving....for a snack I sometimes just have applesauce and about a tbsp. of sliced almonds. Applesauce first.....I posted a few replies as I feel for a 12 year old going through this. Let me know how your son is doing.

#288407 - 10/30/06 06:18 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I would second the browines my husband and 21 month old daughter absoutley love them! There my favorite thing I have tired besides the chicken soup so far. My heart goes out to your little boy! god bless ~ Sheila

#288431 - 10/30/06 09:10 AM
dinaw

Reged: 10/28/06

Thanks so much for all the responses. I've been searching the archives and saw some recipes he may like. I also ordered the fiber and peppermint from Heather...hopefully they'll help. Thanks again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3752

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review