All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A little trick for the applesauce... new
      #29034 - 11/25/03 11:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

don't use it to replace all of the oil in a baking recipe. Use 1/4 cup of oil or so (I never use more than 1/3 cup per loaf/cake) so you have some fat in there. Just using applesauce can give you that wet texture, or a cake that weeps. Having some oil in there will prevent this, and also keep things fresh longer. It's also a nifty way to sneak a little heart-healthy fat like canola or olive oil into your diet.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Good Idea new
      #29055 - 11/26/03 07:57 AM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

I ususally just go half and half (oil and applesauce). However, I wll give your 1:4 or 1:3 (oil to applesauce) ratio a try. As always, thanks for being so thoughtful, Heather!

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Applesauce question new
      #29081 - 11/26/03 08:59 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I just have a quick question! I found a banana muffin recipe I'd like to try, but it calls for a whole stick of margarine, so I'm definitely planning on subbing applesauce for a good chunk of that. My question is, do you think the applesauce sub will work well with banana muffins, or will it give them a strange taste because it intereferes with the flavor of the bananas? Thanks!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: A little trick for the applesauce... new
      #29088 - 11/26/03 09:25 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Good tip...............Thanks Heather. I figured you'd know just how much oil would be safe.

Think I'll start out using the 1/4 cup oil amount FIRST and see what happens. I can always bump it up to 1/3 cup. Right now I have an entire bin of carrots in the fridge that need using up and I'm tired of juicing them. Besides the juice doesn't set well, even IF I consume some soluble fiber first.

Before IBS I hadn't the need to reduce the fats/oils quite so much but did so because of not having a gallbladder and just because it was a more heart healthy route over all.
Kandee

--------------------

It will work... new
      #29133 - 11/26/03 10:23 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and you won't taste the applesauce at all. But, for fruit breads in general, when you reduce the oil just increase whatever fruit puree you're already using. So, add more mashed bananas to compensate for the drop in margarine (which you could probably reduce to 1/4 cup for the whole batch without any problems). This is a neat trick because it not only reduces the fat, but it really ups the flavor (and nutrition level) as well. I also increase the herbs/spices called for whenever I reduce the fat. Works great for banana, pumpkin, carrot, zucchini breads and more!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Applesauce question new
      #29162 - 11/26/03 11:13 AM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Use Heather's Brown Sugar Banana Bread recipe and just put the batter into muffin cups. I make them in mini-muffin pans too, that way I can just grab one or two and run.

Re: It will work... new
      #29178 - 11/26/03 01:21 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Thanks Heather! I actually forgot to check back here before making them, so I just used the applesauce, but that makes a lot of sense to just use extra bananas. I'll definitely keep that in mind for future baking!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 380 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10043

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review