All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Angel food cake questions
      #277627 - 08/08/06 09:44 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I decided to treat myself and bake an angel food cake. But when I look at the ingredients, "non-fat milk" is the last thing listed! What's up with that?? I thought it was one of those "perfectly safe" things? I bought it anyway, but wanted to ask before I bake it.

Anyone have a good recipe for angel food cake frosting that's non-dairy? And I prefer rice milk over soy milk...

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

*sigh* I don't know why they do this... new
      #277638 - 08/08/06 10:29 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

homemade angel food cakes never ever call for any dairy. And some mixes don't have it (I've had good luck with the generic store brands). But, many name brands seem to do. I don't know why.

It is such a very small trace amount that unless you're outright allergic to milk it should be just fine. It's just annoying that they add something they don't need to.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Why do they ruin perfectly good things with dairy when it's not necessary?????? -nt- new
      #277657 - 08/08/06 01:20 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: *sigh* I don't know why they do this... new
      #277674 - 08/08/06 03:31 PM
Lisa Marie

Thanks, Heather! Like I said, it's the very last ingredient listed, so hopefully it will be okay. I am certainly not "allergic" to milk (yes, I've been tested), so I'm sure I'll be fine. It's Betty Crocker brand, the only one I could find at Target. I'm too lazy to make my own.

Any frosting suggestions??? I absolutely LOVE frosting, and HAVE to have it with cake! Perhaps there's some combination of powdered sugar, vanilla, and rice milk that would work?

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

I have very bad reactions to dairy and the Betty Crocker angel food cake has never bothered me... new
      #277703 - 08/08/06 08:48 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

As for frosting...yum

I like to make a lemon or orange frosting to pour on it. You have to wait until the cake is completely cooled, a little chilled in the fridge works best.

-Zest from one large orange or lemon
-One cup powered sugar (confectioner's sugar)
-Just enough water or juice (ornage or lemon) to moisten the sugar and zest.

Zest your fruit of choice. Toss it in with the one cup powered sugar. Add just enough water or juice to moisten the sugar. Pour it over the chilled angel food cake and stick it in the fridge. The frosting hardens and it is so tasty. The frosting will be runny before it hardens so make sure you have the cake in a pan that will catch it.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: I have very bad reactions to dairy and the Betty Crocker angel food cake has never bothered me... new
      #277739 - 08/09/06 09:32 AM
Lisa Marie

Thanks for the info! That makes me feel better about eating the Betty Crocker brand. Next time I will look harder to find a dairy-free kind.

And I will certainly try the frosting! Sounds yummy!

--Lisa, IBS-C

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!

checked store new
      #277931 - 08/10/06 04:56 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Pillsbury plain flavor - not funfetti- and store brand plain are safe. Betty Crocker was not safe. I hope I haven't gotten this mixed up!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: checked store new
      #278260 - 08/14/06 10:53 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I usually end up getting the generic store brands of most cake mixes. They often seem to be the only ones without dairy! But I'm like you, if dairy is one of the last ingredients listed (especially if it says it contains 2% or less) I'm fine.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3358

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review