All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Organizing/Finding recipes not yet tried
      #271439 - 06/28/06 02:57 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've got zillions of recipes I'm going to try someday. Some of them I've printed off and stuck in the front of my recipe binder; some of them I've just saved down onto my computer; some of them I've bookmarked. What I don't have is a way to remind myself these recipes exist and I want to make them. Just yesterday, while I was looking for a recipe I was sure I'd printed, I found one for a soup that sounds wonderful. I had completely forgotten about it.

How do other people keep track of "recipes to try"?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I have manila folders with hard copies of recipes I want to try... new
      #271442 - 06/28/06 03:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and I organize them by type of food (one is comfort food, one is ethnic, one is sweets). I can't keep track of recipes on the computer at all - if I don't print it right away I'll lose it.

Having said that, I always find recipes I'd forgotten I wanted to try every time I look in one of those folders. Oddly, I also find recipes that don't sound good and I can't figure out why they're in there!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I have manila folders with hard copies of recipes I want to try... new
      #271450 - 06/28/06 03:48 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

LOL that is TOTALLY ME TOO Heather....

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

The only thing that works for me... new
      #271463 - 06/28/06 05:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

...is to put them in with the recipes I HAVE tried and already like... everything gets printed, cut down to size, and stuffed in my recipe file box, which is separated by type (main dish, side dish, dessert, etc.). For the longest time, I had a binder with the "new" recipes in it, and I never tried any of them - out of sight, out of mind. This way, I at least come across them on a regular basis, when I'm digging for more familiar recipes.

And forget leaving them on the computer - that's a sure way to guarantee that I'll never make them!

Re: Organizing/Finding recipes not yet tried new
      #271478 - 06/28/06 05:59 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I index mine in files under specific groups like chicken breasts or salads or cookies. I used to list these on paper but now I have them in spreadsheets. I list the recipe and where it is from and any other information I need. I put already printed out recipes in marked organized folders or I keep the cook books and magazines on a book shelf. Having the internet really screwed up my system because countless recipes are available at any time!
I also keep a short list each season of recipes to use for sure and I mark some recipes with stars or highlight or whatever.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

A binder with plastic sleeves.... new
      #271521 - 06/29/06 06:25 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

is what I use for all my recipes from magazines or printed off the internet. I got the plastic sleeves on sale at an office store, and the recipes are arranged by type: soup, crockpot dishes (A fav of mine), bread, etc. I find it very handy, plus I can have that book out while I cook and not worry about getting the paper wet or messy because I can just wipe off the plastic!

--------------------

Re: Organizing/Finding recipes not yet tried new
      #271648 - 06/29/06 01:40 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I stage my recipes. Stage 1 is Recipes That Look Interesting and exist in my \recipes folder on my hard drive. Stage 2 is Recipes That Look Interesting Enough To Actually Print Out and get filed in my physical folders along with the recipes that I've already tried. That way they can catch my eye when I'm flipping through a folder wondering what kind of gourmet meal I can make with a can of pinto beans and two pounds of spaghetti.

I usually go through all folders (physical and logical) every couple months or so, at which point recipes frequently switch stages. And then of course there is the Reality Check Stage, where recipes get thrown away/deleted when I finally admit that, okay, I will never actually make tofu bacon or pine nut tartlets.

Sometimes it takes time to face reality, though. I still have recipes that call for stuff like tahini or nutritional yeast flakes, even though when I see it at the store I choke at the price and refuse to buy it.

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

Thanks, everyone. I appreciate the ideas. -nt- new
      #271790 - 06/30/06 07:45 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 221 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2386

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review