All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
teas
      #26705 - 11/12/03 10:41 AM
LaurieBeth

Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Indianapolis

I have a question for all. Okay I am adicted to ice tea, but it definatly seems to be a triger I mean with in minutes of finishing a glass I am in the bathroom or I have an attack of constipation. I know that Heather recemends herbal tea. I want to know if I would get an attack of either kind from the herbal teas. I am willing to try anything to break this cycle of attacks, but giving my ice tea is going to be quite hard.

thanks
double L

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: teas new
      #26715 - 11/12/03 11:06 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Are you talking about instant iced tea or fresh brewed? I drink fresh brewed decaf tea (Red Rose, Brisk or store brand) with lemon and sugar all the time and have no problems. I love my Mr. Coffee iced tea maker. I have tried peppermint iced tea and I just didn't care for it.

#26728 - 11/12/03 11:35 AM
LaurieBeth

Reged: 11/11/03
Loc: Indianapolis

fresh brewed... I can't stand the instant stuff or even the stuff that comes out of the fountain. I have to have brewed and I do have to confess that I like it strong but I tried a really weak cup this morning and it did the same thing to me. Any ideas would be helpful since I love ice tea and don't want to have to give it up but will try herbal ice tea. By the way my tea I add no sugar to my tea it is just regular ice tea bags that you pour boiling water over.

thanks

double L

#26733 - 11/12/03 11:38 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

A couple of thoughts, maybe it is the caffine or maybe it is when you drink it. Do you drink it on an empty stomach? Sometimes drinking something too cold can cause problems.

I don't know if you've read this yet but here is a web page Mags wrote about herbal iced tea.

Edited by torbetta (11/12/03 11:41 AM)

Hey, a new picture! What a beauty you are!! -nt- new
      #26787 - 11/12/03 02:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Several problems here... new
      #26789 - 11/12/03 02:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Regular tea (which is a specific plant) has caffeine and tannins. Both can trigger IBS symptoms, especially if you're brewing the tea strong. Iced tea is almost always stronger than hot tea to begin with. In addition, cold causes muscles to contract, so drinking icy beverages can also trigger problems.

Are you more attached to the real tea (as opposed to herbal) or to the iced element (as opposed to hot)? The best bet is to go with a hot herbal tea (and remember, herbal "teas" aren't really tea at all - they're different plants altogether). So peppermint, fennel, chamomile, ginger, anise, etc. herbal teas won't have any caffeine or tannins. What they will have is volatile oils that can actually help relieve IBS symptoms, or prevent attacks in the first place. Peppermint is terrific for pain, fennel is great for bloating, ginger helps nausea. None of them should send you running to the bathroom as the regular tea will. And if you have to have your tea iced, they'll be much more tolerable than regular black tea, even if cold.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: teas-for Laurie Beth new
      #26805 - 11/12/03 02:57 PM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

HI Laurie Beth- I haven't seen anyone else mention this on the board, so just wanted to tell you that
I had two of my worst IBS attacks AFTER drinking fennel and peppermint tea. So I guess they don't
work for everyone.Hope they help you, though! Good luck! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2604

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review