All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Would it be safe to mix 50:50 whole wheat flour w/ white unbleached flour in baking?
      #25487 - 11/04/03 01:46 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Hi all,
I just read that whole wheat pastry flour is made from ground soft grain wheat and NOT from the hard wheat berries that are used to make whole wheat flour. Also read that the WW pastry flour is equal in nutritient content to WW regular flour. Sooooo,I was hoping that it'd be safe to mix this more nutritious flour w/ white flour in H's recipes on a 50:50 basis. What do ya'll think?

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Would it be safe to mix 50:50 whole wheat flour w/ white unbleached flour in baking? new
      #25515 - 11/04/03 03:39 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I know in The First Year, her apple spice walnut bread uses 3/4 cup plus 2 T unbleached white and 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour. That to me seems about a 75:25 ratio.

I don't know if you'd want to use this as a guide, or go for the 50:50.

Let us know which way you go, and how they come out. That would be good to get some extra nutrition in there.

Re: Would it be safe to mix 50:50 whole wheat flour w/ white unbleached flour in baking? new
      #25522 - 11/04/03 04:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yeah, you don't want a 50-50 ratio. Pastry flour is much lower in gluten than regular flour, and gluten is key to a lot of the food chemistry in baking. You could probably sub 1/4 of the regular white flour with whole wheat pastry flour, but more than that and the texture of your breads will really change.

On the other hand, for results that are flaky/crumbly, like a good pastry, you can use more of the pastry flour. This is helpful for things like pie crusts, biscuits, strudels, etc. though you'll have to really watch the fat level in things like that.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25530 - 11/04/03 05:43 PM
lithelady

Txs Heather and Mags. I'll f/u w/ what happens as I experiment w diff ratios in diff recipes.

Heather: What ratio- if any-do you think would work best for making brownies?
Also, can flaxmeal be substituted for shortening, oil or butter in ALL recipes for baked goods?
Txs, LL

--------------------

#25548 - 11/04/03 09:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I'd stick to subbing no more than 1/4 of the white flour with ww pastry flour for brownies. See what you think of the results, and if they're good, try subbing 1/3.

I haven't used flaxmeal as a sub for butter in any recipes, so I really don't know how reliably this works. Sorry.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#25587 - 11/05/03 09:20 AM
lithelady

Txs Heather, I'll experiment w/ the flour and flaxmeal over next few weeks- only have time to bake on the wkends- and get back to you w/ results. Plz keep your fingers crossed for me that I don't ruin too many desserts!

--------------------

I predict great success!! -nt- new
      #25637 - 11/05/03 11:11 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Re: I predict great success!! -Txs for the good karma!! -nt new
      #25675 - 11/05/03 01:43 PM
lithelady

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 162 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4178

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review