All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pumpkin Pie
      #24585 - 10/27/03 04:44 PM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

I was in a big baking mood on Sunday and ended up making pumpkin muffins and banana bread.. and attempting to make pumpkin pie. I bought a can of pumpkin and looked at the recipe on the back. It wasn't too bad except for the eggs and evaporated milk. The eggs were no problem as I just substituted egg whites. The evaporated milk, however, didn't work as I planned.

I am not the most experienced baker so I had no clue what evaporated milk was (until I called my mom later). So I figured it was just powdered milk and that all the moisture had "evaporated". So I figured if I bought the powdered soy milk I'd be just fine. While the pie was in the oven, I finally called my mom and she explained just what evaporated milk was but it was too late by then.

My pie tasted really yummy - it just wouldn't stay up if you took a slice out! So I did a search on the boards for evaporated milk, but didn't find much. Has anyone seen evaporated soy milk anywhere? I haven't searched my health food market yet. I saw that pudding could be used as a substitute, but I think that would affect the taste too much in the pumpkin pie.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pumpkin Pie new
      #24589 - 10/27/03 04:59 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Here is one of Heather's web page . It is really good.

#24591 - 10/27/03 05:53 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey Jen! You can try Heather's like Torbetta suggested - it is SO yummy! Or, if you want to try your own, here's a couple of evaporated milk subs posted on the boards: substitute for evaporated milk or Subst. for condensed or evaporated milk.

Oh dear... new
      #24597 - 10/27/03 06:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm so sorry, but I'm laughing at the same time. Cooking is sometimes disastrous when you least expect it...

For pumpkin pie, just sub plain or vanilla soy milk for the evaporated milk and you'll be fine. If you're using two egg whites for each whole egg called for, that should hold the pie together once it's cooked.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24604 - 10/27/03 07:13 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

I see that you've gotten some good suggestions, but here's one more. I make evaporated milk by using the powdered soymilk and adding 3 times as much powder as the can calls for to the water. That same substitute also works great in place of the heavy cream in ice cream recipes!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Edited by Kree (10/27/03 07:15 PM)

another evaporated milk sub new
      #24607 - 10/27/03 07:40 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

On a dairy-free list I used to be on, at least one member specifically recommended Vitasoy Creamy soy milk as an evaporated milk sub. So I'd try that one, specifically. You want something nice and thick and creamy. (Plus Vitasoy has a good flavor, IMO.)

Re: another evaporated milk sub new
      #24629 - 10/28/03 08:24 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Thanks for all the tips! I think I'm going to try one more time this weekend. I made a turkey last year for Thanksgiving (first time!) and am determined to do a whole Thanksgiving dinner - pumpkin pie and all - this year!

I didn't know about doubling the amount of egg whites per egg so will definitly have to do that. I also might try adding more soy powder to the water to make it creamier as it did taste yummy last time.

Thanks again!

--------------------
- Jennifer

#24655 - 10/28/03 12:27 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Hm, I wonder what this would be like if we used rice milk then added powdered milk? I have some Sammis Soya Rice Milk powder that has a ratio of 1/2 cup mix with 1 quart water. Since you've done this before, what do you think should be the evap milk ratio if using the rice milk already?

#24667 - 10/28/03 01:32 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

This is just a guess, but I would say start by adding 1/2 cup powder to 1 quart of the rice milk, that way it would be twice as thick as it would be otherwise. Then if it doesn't seem thick enough try adding more. You'll have to let me know how it goes if you try this!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 324 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2497

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review