All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
substitution Question - for Heather
      #2409 - 03/10/03 06:03 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

Heather, I would love to make the smokey black bean dip but we don't seem to have black beans in Australia, what can I substitute it for? And, the rosemary french bread recipe says to use a sachet of yeast, how much is that? It also says to use soy parmesan cheese, which we cant get here, what can I substitute.
Thanks
Trish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: substitution Question - for Heather new
      #2410 - 03/10/03 06:13 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

a sachet of yeast is about 2 1/2 teaspoons. How sad you can't get black beans. I just found out Ilike them because I tried this recipe.

Can an Aussie help me with this? new
      #2411 - 03/10/03 06:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Trish - Do you have pinto beans? They would work for the black beans. Or turtle beans? Those are a type of black bean. Sometimes I think it's just that the names of things are different in the US and Australia, so the beans themselves may be available but they're called something else.

One yeast package (it's 1/4 oz. in the US) contains 1 scant tablespoon dry yeast.

For the soy Parmesan, I have to ask the Aussies on board. There have been some earlier threads about Australian soy cheeses - you might to a search for that.

Can anyone help out here?

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

thanks Heather new
      #2412 - 03/10/03 06:54 PM
Trish

I think we have Pinto beans, I do love black beans though as I tried them when I was in the states. I will keep looking for them here! We don't have soy parmesan at all, can I substitute for anything else? Or, leave it out?
Thanks for all your help
Trish

Re: Aussie help new
      #2423 - 03/10/03 10:26 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Trish,

I have made this dip using Kidney Beans (I buy the Edgell brand).

As for the soy cheese us Aussies have really dipped out in that area. I find that in most recipes I just have to leave it out. Hopefully manufacturers over here will respond to the demand very soon! The two that I have found that I like so far are made by King Island.

They make a cream cheese and a cheddar (stocked by coles)but it's not the same as the soy cheeses available in the US -the main problem being they don't melt. I find it's better than nothing though.

Hope this helps a bit,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: thanks Kerrie new
      #2485 - 03/11/03 02:45 PM
Trish

I am going to find black beans somehow, and when I do I will let you know. I found a 'veggie' brand of swiss and tasty cheese in coles, I haven't tried it but it is in slices. I will grab it next time I go there. I also have found one with some milk (very little) that melts wonderfully, it is my lifesaver! I am so glad I can tolerate it. I haven't found an angel food tin but I have one I got from the states ages ago and am going to try that out when I make the cake. It is fun finding all these products here in Australia. Freedom foods make a baked corn chip but I haven't been able to find it yet, do you know where I might get it? Your from Adelaide right? I grew up in Adelaide
Trish

Re: don't need angel food pan new
      #2486 - 03/11/03 02:57 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

trish - you don't need an angel food pan to make angel food cake. If you read the back of the angel food box, it says you can make it in two loaf pans.

It's pretty specific about after you take the pans out of the oven to put them on their sides on a cooling rack until they cooled, run a knife around the edges and then de-pan (I just made that up!) Be very careful because they're pretty fragile.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Angel Food Cake new
      #2490 - 03/11/03 03:43 PM
Trish

Sharon,
Unfortunately in Australia we don't have packets of Angel Food cake, we have to make it from scratch, so I am going to try on the weekend and will use the loaf pans. So I just turn them on the side when they come out of the oven?
Trish

Re: Angel Food Cake Pans new
      #2496 - 03/11/03 04:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm wondering if a bundt cake pan wouldn't work better for angel food cake from scratch. The cake mixes are much more stable (they've got stabilizers and some other commercial ingredients in there) and I think they're more fail-safe. Traditionally, there is a center wall in angel food cake pans to give the batter something to cling to as it rises. I don't know if a loaf pan will work when you're making this from scratch - has anyone tried it? I'm just worried that batter from scratch will be more temperamental. Sharon? What do you think?

Oh - and no matter what you do, don't grease the pan!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: thanks Heather new
      #2502 - 03/11/03 04:47 PM
Lynn

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Virginia

I did a search using Google and the phrase "Black Beans in Australia." I am not sure if it will be helpful but here is what I found:

Teague Australia Seed & Grain Brokers
- Pearl Black Mung Beans -
http://www.tjt.com.au/tjt/pr_detail.stm?product_id=226

This site says the produce store is in New Zealand. If you ever get to stop over there, you might want to look them up.

http://shop.organicfresh.co.nz/shop/default.asp?Group=337

I also found this shop based in the US that offers ordering on-line and ships International. They offer Black Turtle Beans.

http://www.barryfarm.com/beans.htm

Re: Angel Food Cake new
      #2527 - 03/11/03 07:59 PM
SharonMello

Trish - yes, on their sides on a cooling rack. When they're completely cooled, run a sharp knife around the edge of the cake and then put the rack on top of the pan and turn over carefully and lift up the pan. Then turn the cake over carefully because it's fragile. I've made them like this and they're really fragile (that's the only word I can think of to describe them).

Let us know how they turn out, okay?

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Angel Food Cake Pans - scratch? new
      #2528 - 03/11/03 08:02 PM
SharonMello

Heather and Trish - I don't do a lot of scratch cakes, especially where I have to use a mixer for a long time because of my arms and hands. My motto is: THE EASIER THE BETTER! So, I DON'T KNOW is my answer. Sorry.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: thanks Kerrie new
      #2545 - 03/11/03 11:41 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Trish,

I live in Brisbane actually, originally from Sydney. The freedom foods corn chips are great even my husband will eat them when used in Nachos. I buy them at Woolies in the health food section. I also like SOk baked potato chips they are with the regular chips.

I haven't tried the veggie slices but I have seen them. I have been a bit scared too as they contain a dairy protein (Casein) and I can't tolerate dairy at all so I'm not sure how I'd go with those.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 69 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9694

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review