All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do you handle husbands???
      #23992 - 10/20/03 11:24 AM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

My husband has been very supportive of my improved eating habits. However, he gets grumpy and won't eat a dish if it's a traditional one I've adapted to the IBS diet! New dishes aren't a problem if I don't use alot of dairy substitutes-he loves new seafood recipes, so I'm going to try those. Any Ideas anyone? I can't sneak soy products or rice products(like MILK), etc, because he can tell the difference! I make their food the traditional way and make a little the IBS way for me. Help!!! Fortunately my kids and husband love rice, potatoes, bread etc!

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you handle husbands??? new
      #24015 - 10/20/03 12:19 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hi Maryh,
I don't expect my husband and kids to eat everything I do, so depending on the dish I seperate my portion from theirs. We have a favorite Mexican dish that requires cheese, and I seperate my portion before cooking it. I eat it without cheese. Before mashing potatoes I do the same thing. My family gets the dairy and I mash my potatoes with rice milk. These are some simple things I do so I don't have to hear my family whine about the food.
Good luck!

#24027 - 10/20/03 01:22 PM
skw

Reged: 10/13/03
Loc: New Mexico

Hang in there!

With my husband, I included him in all the menu plans and grocery shopping. Then he saw me getting healthier, after several months, he started wanting to try "my" soy milk, and other things. Now, 2 years later, he is 95% on the IBS diet (he was a big milk drinker all his life, now he PREFERS soy) and has lost that 15 pounds he wanted to lose--without dieting! But every so often, he wants a steak, so I just throw a piece of chicken on the grill beside it. What worked for me was: be patient with him, letting him get used to the changes, I tried not to "nag" him about his eating, and if he complained about a dish, we found a compromise.

Best of luck--you WILL get there.

Congrats on teaching your children healthy eating habits!

What a great story! This is really encouraging to hear -thanks! -nt- new
      #24028 - 10/20/03 01:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24030 - 10/20/03 01:38 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

My husband's father just had 8 (yes 8) stents put into his heart because of his eating habits (milk products, chocolate candy, fried foods, eggs). That jerked my husband into my way of eating very quickly. I don't cook much differently for him, if he wants something like beef, he goes out to lunch and orders what he wants. He knows never to eat chicken out because that and fish are all I cook. It will take you a while to get really good at disguising the meals, but once you get the hang of it, usually no one can tell the difference. I love to bring low fat brownies or the Peppermint Cake from Heather's book, everyone is shocked at the great tastes.

#24044 - 10/20/03 03:46 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Thanks everyone for your suggestions-I'll take my time and see how his opinion may change with time!!! Mary

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

Re:MaryH - How do you handle husbands???// WITH DIFFICULTY!!!!!! LOL Just Couldn't Resist! new
      #24124 - 10/21/03 07:32 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Hi Maryh,

At least I NEEDED a bit of LEVITY... Really happy you found a great doc!~ lucky you.
I have heard of a couple here, but tried them & no appts. till Jan.!!! Gal that highly recommeded esp. the 1st one, had worked for him. Said that both these had been involved in research in IBS. One problem tho, they BOTH want recommendation fr. my Internist to see a GI and she already knows I'm seeing the one. Knowing her,,,,since she did zilch, she won't let me see another!!!!!

I got to talk to him for a sec Wed after my huubby's colonoscopy and he wrote pres for Librax and then......it's a long story, but I mentioned the promenthazine (Phenegran for nausea) that works (& INternist won't prescribe this or even Librax)and he said he'd rather have me on that, so he tore up the Librax pres & said to HAVE INTERNIST call him. OH.....he'd had me on levbid at nite, but REALLY made me sick.. So, I called my Internist re calling him for pres. immediately and checked back TODAY and zilch so far!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That GI diagnosed me w/GERDS in 99 w/endoscopy and have been on Prevacid ever since. Am thinking it could be the overgrowth of bact. or worsened by it, cause the promenthazine is for nausea .......not spasm.

I worte the board abt. this w/ a special ask for ans. (meaning opinions ) fr. Heather & Shawneric, but haven't heard a word from anyone, darn. Think you are a nurse and mentioned the Clostridium Difficule test for that???

There's also another reply to 1 of Shaneric's posts that I'd like u to read if u have a chance. Think it's near the bottom of the ones re bacterial overgrowth messages I posted.

Also, we are supposed to leave for FL at end of mo., but prob. not till 1st wk in Nov. Sure don't feel up to GOING now..... AND wouldn't you know I saw a BIG ad in paper tonite for a free clinical research study for women w/IBS D. Maaybe it is getting more respect as they say, BUT what timing for me!!! Gonna call on it anyway.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 764 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2023

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review