All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Steamer tray
      #23889 - 10/19/03 12:11 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I have been wanting to try the Wok-Steamed Teriyaki Ginger Salmon from Eating for IBS.

What is a steamer tray? Is it something that goes into a wok? I got this impression sine the title is Wok-Steamed, but if it is, my wok didn't come with one.

Or can I just use my steamer, which is a pot with another pot with holes in the botoom that sits on top. Almost like a double boiler.

Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Steamer tray new
      #23904 - 10/19/03 03:59 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Mags,
I used my steamer basket for it because it fit well in my wok. The only problem I had was cleaning it so I haven't made it again. The salmon stuck to it and in between the holes and it was difficult to clean. The recipe is good though.

#23922 - 10/19/03 07:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You can just put a small cookie cooling rack in the wok, so it sits above the water. Or use a regular metal steamer, or a bamboo one. You can line the bamboo one with cabbage leaves to prevent sticking.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#23956 - 10/20/03 03:47 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks!

So, just to make sure I got it, you put water in a wok, put the cookie cooling rack/steamer tray in, then the scallions actually go on the rack part too, or are they down in the bottom part of the wok with the water?

I'd thought they'd be on the rack, but if Torbetta's fish was sticking to the rack...now I'm all mixed up!

#24011 - 10/20/03 12:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The fish sits right on the scallions. I forgot about that - sorry. Now I'm not sure why Torbetta's fish was sticking either. Actually, part of the reason for lining the steamer with the scallions (or things like cabbage leaves) is not just to flavor the fish but to keep it from sticking. And, if you're using a metal rack, the scallions give a solid cusion beneath the fish so bits and pieces won't fall through the metal grid.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#24058 - 10/20/03 07:46 PM
*Melissa*

Great - I think I got it now! Can't wait to try it!

BTW: I tried the honey glazed sesame tuna tonight - yummy!!! It was my first time cooking tuna. Thanks once again for another fabulous recipe!

#24569 - 10/27/03 03:19 PM
*Melissa*

I tried the Wok-Steamed Teriyaki Ginger Salmon - YUMMY!! Both Chris and I really liked it - the sauce is great!

BTW: Guess what I found stuffed in the back of the cabinet, right behind my wok? Yup - a steamer tray that came with the wok! LOL

#93721 - 07/27/04 10:32 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Okay, this is a really old thread, but I just wanted to add my enthusiastic endorsement for the steamed teriyaki ginger salmon! I'm not even a big fish fan, and this was fantastic!

I just used my regular rice cooker/veggie steamer, by the way. I poured two cups of water in the bottom, put on the tray with the scallions, salmon, and ginger, and put on the lid.

YUM!!!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2854

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review