All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Hot Fudge Brownies
      #2267 - 03/09/03 01:36 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Hello everyone. I came across this recipe I had written down and made a few years ago. Spir of the moment 6 am this morning I am making it again and looking forward to dessert tonight! The only thing I did different is used soy milk and will see how that turned out, I am thinking just fine. I just wanted to share it with you. I think I got this off of fatfree.com. Hope you like it.

Sheri

Hot Fudge Brownie

Heat oven to 350 F. In a large mixing bowl, combine

1 cup flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (optional)

Add

1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp vanilla extract

Stir to blend. Spoon into an 8X8 inch baking pan spray with cooking spray.

In a medium-sized bowl, combine

3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
3/4 to 1 3/4 cup hot water (see note)

Stir to blend and pour over batter in prepared pan. Bake for 40 minutes. Serve with nonfat frozen yogurt, if desired.

Note: A fudgy sauce forms on the bottom of the brownie as it bakes. The consistency of the sauce depends on the amount of hot water you use in the recipe. If you use the maximum amout, it's like a hocolate syrup; with the minimum amount it's more like a pudding. I think I usually use about 1 1/4 cup for a medium-thick sauce, which I spoon up over the yogurt to make a hot fudge brownie sundae kind of thing.

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hot Fudge Brownies new
      #2474 - 03/11/03 02:08 PM
Lynn

Reged: 01/27/03
Loc: Virginia

I have found using olive oil and Better Than Egg egg substitute has greatly reduced any episodes, using store bought brownie mix, I might have with regular brownies.

#2832 - 03/14/03 03:48 PM
Thor

Reged: 03/14/03
Loc: Cold Lake, Alaska

Thanks for the recipe. They turned out great. I used cranberry juice instead of the skim milk, and a banana instead of the applesauce. Mmm... so good!

#2834 - 03/14/03 05:06 PM
Peanut

Thor,

Glad to hear that they turned out for you as well. I made them again yesterday and put some in the freezer to see how that will work. I put peppermint or mint extract in it and as crazy as it sounds, that tasty little dessert really seems to help.

Sheri

--------------------

cranberry juice? new
      #2843 - 03/14/03 09:33 PM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

You can do that? Really???

Re: cranberry juice? new
      #2844 - 03/14/03 09:42 PM
Thor

Yeah, it sounds weird, but in Heather's book she uses juice in her orange cranberry bread, and it's totally amazing. I've been using it as a substitute and it's working great. Because the juice is sweet, you have to use less sugar, which is cool, because I'm not a big fan of the refined stuff.

Re: Hot Fudge Brownies - nice to see you! new
      #2864 - 03/15/03 08:08 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Peanut - It's so nice to finally see who's been posting under Peanut's name! Great shot of both of you. What kinda dog is it?

Thanks for the recipe, too.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Re: Hot Fudge Brownies - Thank you new
      #2872 - 03/15/03 10:34 AM
Peanut

Sharon,

How are you doing? Glad you took this one down. You will have to let me know how you get on with it, because I love it! I took a piece that I had in the freezer out this morning and will let you know tonight or tomorrow how it was after being thawed. I have found that the mint helps me far better than the fennel. I am wondering if you have any minty fat free recipes that I could bake up?

I thought it was only fair that I add a picture since so many other people had. The trouble was finding one that I had already scanned to send to Heather and that one is from awhile ago. That is my little princess Bijoux and she is my animal shelter special. She is a Chihuahua/Pug mix and is spoiled rotten.

Thanks for the little post!

Sheri

--------------------

Re: Hot Fudge Brownies - Thank you new
      #2891 - 03/15/03 05:13 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Sheri - will look up the FF minty bakes.

I'm doing good--not much gas lately but when it happens, it's gone in about 1 hr. Nothing like it previously was.

Thanks for asking.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#2903 - 03/15/03 07:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Thor - Welcome to the board! It's nice to see some more guys around. And what a good idea to use cranberry juice - I'll have to try that. I've never baked with it before.

Do you ever go to the Wille Bakery in Victoria? I learned to bake from my grandmother (Marion Wille), who spent her summers with her grandmother in Victoria. Her grandparents owned the bakery and lived above it! It was closed for a while but re-opened under the same name, and they have a great album in the bakery with old photos of my relatives. I've always thought it would be a kick if they made one of my grandmother's cake recipes (many of which came from her grandmother) like the Chocolate Applesauce Cake.

Anyway, I love Victoria - it's just beautiful.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2909 - 03/15/03 09:05 PM
Thor

Hi Heather,

I can't say I've been to that bakery yet. But I will have to check it out and let you know. Victoria has so many neat little bakeries and patisseries nestled all over the place. A great place to live. I learned to bake from my grandmother as well, she's 85 and still hard at it.

I'd like to thank you very much for writing your books. I've had IBS since I can remember and the info you've put together has seriously changed my life for the better. I did the acupuncture route and it stopped 80% of my symptoms - After 24 years of unbearable pain this was unbelievable for me. The only time IBS comes around now, is during exams or when I don't watch my diet.

Thanks ever so much!

Thor

You're welcome! - nt- new
      #2916 - 03/16/03 12:29 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Hot Fudge Brownies - Sharon new
      #2931 - 03/16/03 08:06 AM
Peanut

Hello again. Glad to hear that you are doing good! I am also proud to say that I am as well. Only a small amount of hiccups along the way this week, but overall I rate the week 100% considering. LOL!!

I wanted to let you know that I thought the frozen brownie were almost as good as the fresh ones.I also am not that bothered unless the taste or texture is bad.

This morning I made angelfood cupcakes and put mint in them and they turned out pretty good.

Sheri

--------------------

#3202 - 03/18/03 03:42 PM
MaryKay

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Colorado, USA

Sheri,

Thanks so much for this recipe. I finally made them today (its a snow day here, no school) and they are delicious!!!!!

Mary Kay

#7921 - 04/30/03 06:37 AM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

Man this looks so yummy. I haven't had anything of a chocolate taste in over 6 months. We could use the vanilla soy milk and eliminate the vanilla extract and skim milk correct? Makes logical sense to me.

#7937 - 04/30/03 11:38 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Yes - soy milk will work just fine. And you can keep the vanilla extract - that will be perfectly safe (and yummy).

- Heather

--------------------

#7944 - 04/30/03 12:00 PM
KyAngel

Reged: 04/24/03
Loc: Pikeville, Kentucky

Oooo I cannot wait to make this recipe, yummy. I thought since I had IBS-D I would never be able to eat anything yummy again, I was wrong!

#7975 - 04/30/03 02:05 PM
TexasLeanne

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

Mine just got out of the oven - can't wait for my husband to try them! Thanks for sharing the recipe!

--------------------
Leanne

#7981 - 04/30/03 03:50 PM
TexasLeanne

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

They are absolutely delicious! Can't believe no butter, oil, or eggs are used!

--------------------
Leanne

Re: Hot Fudge Brownies-Glad you liked them new
      #7993 - 04/30/03 05:11 PM
Peanut

So glad that others are enjoying them as much as I do. I always add some mint to mine which seems to help me a lot. I use vanilla soy and still put the vanilla extract. (love the vanilla!) I also freeze the leftovers in individual portions and they taste just as good when I pull them out of the freezer and heat up in the microwave!

Sheri

--------------------

Re: Hot Fudge Brownies- Peanut or anyone else who has made these: are they good?-nt new
      #24372 - 10/24/03 02:56 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Re: Hot Fudge Brownies- Peanut or anyone else who has made these: are they good?-nt new
      #24374 - 10/24/03 03:29 PM
Peanut

I used to make these on Sundays and are my favorite!! I even freeze them in individual pieces and they taste just a good!

Sheri

--------------------

#24386 - 10/24/03 07:45 PM
lithelady

Thanks so much Sheri. One other ?: can you really eat nonfat frozen yogurt even though you have IBS? If so, you are soooo lucky!

That's the food I miss the most, since we still can eat chocolate in "safe" ways, thank goodness! Unfortunately, there do not seem to be any "safe" ways to eat ANY dairy products made from cow's milk [ have you discovered a "safe' way"????] and Tofutti just isn't the same. Sigh......ah well, I look forward to these brownies which I'm going to make tomorrow.

BTW, your dog is a cutie and the 2 of you take a very nice picture together.

--------------------

#24388 - 10/24/03 08:29 PM
MICHAELA

Reged: 08/22/03

Have you tried Soy Delicous "Ice Cream" it is wonderfully safe. The chocolate is incredibly yummy. I think it tastes better then the real stuff!!! Also Hersheys chocolate syrup is safe too. My hubby likes to eat a bannasplit with vanilla Soy Delicous Ice Cream and the chocolate syrup poured over it. Hope this helps.

Re: ice cream subs (was Hot Fudge Brownies) new
      #24429 - 10/25/03 04:08 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

The best ice cream sub I've found is WholeSoy Frozen Cultured Soy. It's soy frozen yogurt, so it's low-fat (1-3 grams per serving) but still rich and creamy. And it comes in nine flavors (Vanilla Bean, French Vanilla, Chocolate Hazelnut, Creme Caramel, Black Cherry, Mocha Fudge, Very Strawberry, Lemon-Ginger and Swiss Chocolate). If you can find this--I buy mine at Wild Oats--it's well worth the cost (though I always wait till it goes on sale).

Re: ice cream subs (was Hot Fudge Brownies) new
      #24432 - 10/25/03 04:32 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Rice Dream makes a number of flavors of ice cream. I tried the vanilla w/chocolate and almonds and liked it.

I really like their products. Just wish our supermarket would carry their sr. cream.

Marnie

#24508 - 10/27/03 05:01 AM
Peanut

Lithelady,
Hello there. No, I can't have ANY dairy, but that was in the recipe. I find I don't need any with the brownies which I think I might make again in the next few weeks.

I have tried Soydream ice cream sandwiches which are really good. I haven't had dairy in about 9 months (lactose intolerant), so I have forgotten. I will admit, I do miss it from time to time, but it's better for me in the long run. :-)

Thank you for the compliment on my picture.

Sheri

--------------------

#24706 - 10/28/03 08:54 PM
lithelady

Hi all,
Thanks for the great suggestions about other options to satisfy my love (former!) of frozen yogurt. I'm going to try them all over the next few weeks.
BTW, the hot fudge brownies are very yummy but next time I'm not going to put any mint extract into them b/c I just can't seem to get used to having my brownie taste minty! LOL

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 67 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23447

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review