All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Vietnamese Lemongrass Ginger Chicken - help!
      #22376 - 10/03/03 08:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

A while ago, I tried to make this from 'Eating for IBS'.

It smelt and looked great up until I added the Thai fish sauce. This smelt so gross that my fiance was nearly sick and he refused to cook anymore!

It smelt like rotten fish. Is this usual or was it off? Or did I get the wrong thing? It was Blue Dragon's Thai Fish Sauce (Nam Pla). Is this ok?

I really like the sound of the recipe so I'm a bit stuck. Help!

Linz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Vietnamese Lemongrass Ginger Chicken - help! new
      #22380 - 10/03/03 10:10 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Linz - This is one of the first recipes I made from Eating for IBS, and the smell made me sick! (Sorry Heather ) I couldn't even eat it.

Thankfully this hadn't been my first recipe, so I didn't run away from the entire book! I've thought about trying it again with no or less fish sauce, so I like to see what responses you get. I also thought the recipe sounded really good, because I like all the other ingredients.

Hopefully we'll get some help.

#22385 - 10/03/03 12:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Okay, well, it's not you - that recipe should only have 1 T of fish sauce, not 1/3 cup. Good Lord, no wonder this made you sick.

I'm so sorry - I can't believe there's yet another typo in this darn book. My original manuscript is right - I just checked - so how the publisher managed to mess up so many measurements is beyond me. I'll let them know for future editions...

And please try the recipe again, with the right amount of fish sauce (or feel free to leave it out completely). It really is good!

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#22393 - 10/03/03 01:36 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Phew, I was just getting ready to throw out my newly purchased bottle of fish sauce.......lol

Re: I made this again tonight for dinner new
      #22401 - 10/03/03 04:20 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Thank you for asking. The last time I made it I hated it. I never thought about making it again until today. It turned out so good. I had all the ingrediants so I figured I would. Madeline liked but Meike didn't. Meike is in one of her moods tonight so she wouldn't have like anything I made. At least now I have another recipe I can make with Chicken. Believe it or not I was getting tired of chicken.

#22414 - 10/03/03 07:20 PM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Wow, I tried this too a while ago, and while lemongrass chicken is one of my favorite dishes in the local Vietnamese restaurant, I was sorely disappointed with how this one turned out! (No offense Heather, but it was WAY too much fish sauce...glad it was a typo!) Really really salty, and just yuck! I should have known better...nothing I ever cook calls for that much fish sauce. Whew!! Thanks for having the guts to point it out! And someday I'll have to try it again. Unfortunately, I cooked it for company...and I dont think my mom will ever want to try it again, lol.

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2260

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review