Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Heather: ? re: 12/02 IBS newsletter & orange cornbread recipe
      #22253 - 10/01/03 04:09 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Hi,
I'm looking for some recipes for oven baked breads that aren't sweet and have vegies in them. I know the one in your EforIBS book is somewhat sweet, but I already tried making it w/ only 1/4 C light br.sugar and it was delicous for my palate plus not sweet.

However, in terms of this one in the 12/02 newsletter, I wanted to check w/ you to find out if it's correct that it doesn't need 1 egg white. This cornbread recipe is identical to the one in the book except that it doesn't have the 1 egg white and it adds the orange zest. Does the zest replace the need for the egg white?

Also, wondering if it'd be safe to add 1/2 cup of well cooked and well chopped frozen corn to your original cornbread recipe in your bk. to get some vegies in it?

Thanks, I'm learning to cook from this website and your book! My mother would be so proud!!

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather: ? re: 12/02 IBS newsletter & orange cornbread recipe new
      #22255 - 10/01/03 04:15 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - No, the zest doesn't replace the egg white, this is just a bread recipe that works well with or without the whites. It's a bit unusual in that regard, but it makes it a good option for vegans.

You could certainly add the corn - do make sure it's very tender and finely chopped. You could actually probably use creamed corn as well. That would make the bread extra moist, so you might need to bake it an extra 5-10 minutes or so.

I'm proud of you too - it's a lot of work to learn how to cook!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#22257 - 10/01/03 04:26 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Thanks for the extra pat on the back, feels good esp now that I'm finally feeling better after 8 terrible days. Today is my first good day w/ no gas thruout the night last night so I finally was able to sleep soundly and I sure did....for 11 hours!

I'm going to wait on testing the recipe w/ corn until all's stayed calm for another week. The creamed corn idea sounds even safer- how much would you suggest of the cr corn I use in the recipe: 1/2 C??

Once I try baking it w/cr. corn I'll let you know how it comes out.

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

#22259 - 10/01/03 04:34 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'd start with 1/3 cup creamed corn and see how that goes. Any more than that might skew the chemistry of the recipe and not turn out right. To be extra safe, start with 1/4 cup, then try 1/3 cup.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 474 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1516

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review