All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
how to feed your young children (4&under), picky hubby and IBS sufferer
      #22072 - 09/30/03 11:14 AM
mommymarnie

Reged: 03/11/03

I need suggestions. I just bought the books and am going to try to make some changes for my health, but not sure how to do this with keeping my kids (age 1 and 4) and hubby happy and healthy. Hubby is a meat and potatoes guy. Son (4) used to be more open to things than he is now - now says chocolate soy milk tastes funny (I think I may try the sweeter rice milk) and he doesn't like smoothies (which I love) The baby breastfeeds and is just starting solids. Is a soy based, vegan diet healthy for children this young? Doesn't the baby need high fat products? I haven't given her ANY milk products yet - I worry for her stomach, my granmother, mother and I all have IBS and it has gotten worse and started to flare up sooner with each generation.
Any thoughts and tips here would be appreciated, as well as tips on cooking and recipes for young children that are quick and easy - the closest health food store is 45 minutes away, so please include any links on sources for buying food products too.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how to feed your young children (4&under), picky hubby and IBS sufferer new
      #22088 - 09/30/03 12:33 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Have you checked the recipe index. There a lot of recipes in there for the kids. I think I noticed it was updated with the new ones.

My friend is a vegan and she has a 1 and a 4 year old also and they are very healthy on the vegan diet. My kids eat chicken, turkey and fish. I have found turkey and chicken dogs the kids will eat. They are a little high in fat but I notice I don't have a problem with them if I only eat one. They also like turkey bacon.

You were talking about the high fat for the little ones. My dr. told me that from the year 1-2 they need the extra fat for brain development. I would ask your dr. for an alternative to the whole milk.

Some quick recipes to try with the kids are breaded chicken tenders (use egg whites, seasoned bread crumbs with a little bit of soy cheese) with roasted potatoes shaped like fries. I use a little bit of oil and salt and pepper. I have this new stuff I haven't tried but my friend says it is really good. It is Quorn meat free tenders. They are suppose to taste like chicken. Pizza is good with soy cheese. Ah!Laska has a non-dairy chocolate syup that my kids love and will drink with rice or soy milk. There is a taste difference but they seem to like it. I like the rice milk a little bit better than the soy but I buy whatever I can get on sale. I have also found cereal bars from Healthy Valley that are not made with frustose or dairy and are low in fat that would be good. Mac n cheese is good with rice or soy cheddar cheese and plain soy or rice milk. I hope this is a good start. I have a 5 and 3 year old.

Search the web for buying different products. I do find a lot in our grocery store. I am also part of a buying club where I can get some different products, like the ones I mentioned at a good price. I too have to drive 45 min to a health store but sometimes it is just worth it.

#22113 - 09/30/03 01:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Torbetta gave you great info, and definitely check out the recipe index. Also do a board search for children or fast and easy recipes. Check the newsletter recipe archive web page as well, as I tend to put all-American recipes in there.

Definitely don't worry about raising children on a soy-based vegan diet. There's a wealth of reputable information about this topic at the Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine site, which is here web page You'll see tons of links all about children and vegetarian diets. For the fat issue, plant fats are much better for both kids and adults - things like flax oil, avocados, nuts. And if you want to include fish (which is great for IBS) choices like salmon or tuna have healthy fats.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#22114 - 09/30/03 02:06 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I know how you feel. Not only is it difficult enough to change your own diet, but to change everyone in the family is extremely difficult.

My husband and I actually got to the point where he cooked his own meals and I cooked my own. Because I didn't have time to make two meals after work.

I would probably not change the kids diet. It easier to make a few meals for yourself and freeze them then have to have the kids and hubby all whiny.

I know how difficult it is to adjust the diet to your likes and dislikes and you aren't going to like everything.

The worst was when my husband would smell a meal and be like "Eww what is that" and finally I had to say "You cook your meals and I'll cook mine. Because it was hard to get used to my new meals when someone was saying "Ewww."

Good luck,
Keep us posted on what you decide and how you make out

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#22115 - 09/30/03 02:14 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Having been a vegetarian for years (and a very picky one at first!), I second Torbetta's suggestion of Quorn products. These tend to be lower in fat than meat alternatives and there is such a range of foods you can get. I get all mine at the supermarket, but I don't know about the US/Canada. Maybe if they don't have much of a range you could ask for them? Customer pressure should do anything!

Vegetarian food generally is quite good for the IBS diet. A friend of mine used to swear by vege bacon (I never liked bacon anyway). You can also get quorn mince, fillets and pieces. Because of how its made, Quorn can be made to taste like anything, although chicken-type is usual. You don't need to tell the kids (or hubby!) that it's not chicken. My fiance even uses vege sausages to make meatballs! I shall try and make him measure everything next time we have it so I can get the recipe!

Keep on looking! Best of luck.

Linz

PS. On the whole hubby-going-euww-thing! My fiance used to be a total carnivore and since meeting me he's learnt to love vege and healthy foods, so there is hope!

#22131 - 09/30/03 04:53 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I don't have much to add because I haven't got any kids, but try http://www.healthy-eating.com for some healthy foods. I've made a couple of orders from them and shipping is pricey but they're a reliable company.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 638 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1484

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review