All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
What Are YOUR Top 5 Favorite Recipes From Heather's Book "Eating for IBS"?
      #219229 - 10/12/05 04:32 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Post YOUR top 5 favorite recipes from Heather's book " Eating for IBS " and please tell us why!!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Pumpkin apple spice bread new
      #219292 - 10/13/05 05:33 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

It just tastes soooo goooood!! It is moist and spicy..mmmm

Re:The lemon loaf, the cranberry loaf, pep f cake,... new
      #219298 - 10/13/05 06:24 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03

I have a sweet tooth. The lemon loaf is divine and moist. The cranberry loaf is also very tasty and who could possibly live without the peppermint fudge cake???

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: What Are YOUR Favorite Recipes From Heather's Book "Eating for IBS"? new
      #219301 - 10/13/05 06:33 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Favorite main dish= simple whitefish with lemon and herbs
Favorite dessert= peppermint fudge cake

I also love her 5 minute pumpkin pie and all-american sloppy joes... but those aren't from EFI.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: Pumpkin apple spice bread- I should make that again! new
      #219316 - 10/13/05 07:20 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I like the zucchini bread, salmon and wheat berries (fed a dinner party this on Sunday), Vietnamese chicken and noodles. That is all I can think of right now.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re:Made Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread today! -nt- new
      #219509 - 10/14/05 02:53 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

--------------------

Re: What Are YOUR Top 5 Favorite Recipes From Heather's Book "Eating for IBS"? new
      #219617 - 10/15/05 02:06 PM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

1. Banana bread - my absolute favorite, even my neighbors who think I eat the strangest things love it!! I love it because it is good for breakfast or even just to snack on.
2. Sweet-Tart Orange Cranberry Bread - yummy yummy yummy...its like a dessert you can have for breakfast.
3. Open-Face Chesapeake Crab Cake Sandwiches - my husband HATES crab, but cannot get enough of these sandwiches
4. Honey Glazed Snack Mix - I make this once a week for when I get a craving for something crunchy
5. Banana Chips - these are great. I hate fresh banana's but I love these.

Thats all I have for now...I am realatively new to all this, so every week, I try at least one new recipe from the book, one attempt at adapting an old recipe and one off line, then I keep some of our old favorites in so my husband doesn't go on new-tastes overkill...

Re: What Are YOUR Top 5 Favorite Recipes From Heather's Book "Eating for IBS"? new
      #219769 - 10/16/05 09:57 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Easy Peachy Chicken--It has a really nice, subtle flavor
Tandoori mango shrimp--I love zesty, and this is zesty!
Teriyaki steamed salmon--fast and yummy

Those are the three I make regularly. I love 'em!

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

#219882 - 10/17/05 12:29 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Hmm, Well, my husband always has me make the Thai Fried Rice, it is his favorite. I like the Catfish sandwiches, and the crab cake sandwiches. Also, the carrot cake is quite yummy and the peppermint fudge cake is one of my dad's favorites.

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#219993 - 10/18/05 05:41 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I easily found 11 recipes I like, but these are the 5 I make over and over:

Fresh Tex-Mex Guacamole - perfect guacamole: lots of avocado flavor with just enough flavoring to be interesting

Sweet Cinnamon Zucchini Bread - tastes just right for breakfast

Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread - the best: sweet, cinnamon-y, rich, just yummy

Sweet Simple Cornbread - with more heft than French or Italian bread, this is the perfect accompaniment to so many dishes: soups, chili, anything vaguely Tex-Mex

Crispy Pizza with Shredded Chicken, Scallions, and Smoky Sweet Barbecue Sauce - it's pizza

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#220032 - 10/18/05 09:06 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03

Okay, I'm a quick bread junkie...and I love bananas... Soooo, the Brown Sugar Banana Bread is right there at the top of my list. The Simple Sweet Cornbread is the best cornbread I've tasted, hands down (and every non-IBSer who's ever tasted it agrees!) I also LOVE the peppermint fudge cake (and it's so unique!). I also really like the yummy Chinese sweet corn and crab velvet soup...now that it's soup weather maybe it's time to make that again....

I regretfully admit I haven't tried nearly as many recipes out of EFI that I would like!

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#220037 - 10/18/05 09:28 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I don't know about you all - but my book won't stay in it's cover - it's falling apart. Well loved book!

Let's see...

1. Simple Sweet Cornbread. It's such a basic recipe that goes so well with many dishes. It's a hearty bread that makes anything a meal -- and it's so easy to make... delicious too!

2. Old-Fashioned Banana Creme Pie (I make it as Pudding every time). It is so yummy and satisfying. One of my hubby's fav desserts -- I add some vanilla wafers for him -- but it is just comfort food. It makes you feel like you're back at home and grandma cooked for you. Warm and yummy.. soothing to the tummy.... I LOVE it!

3. Lemon-Glazed Sticky Bread Wow! The flavor in this one just is amazing -- and it gets better the next day. I was a little afraid to try it but once I did - I was hooked. It is moist and wonderful!

4. Honey Glazed Snack Mix. I make this all the time. I have two boys (15 and almost 11) and they eat me out of house and home. They eat this like it is going out of style. We take it with us to church gatherings, road trips -- you name it - we bring it.

This is the hardest choice -- the last one...

#5....
Double Decker Sweet Potato Pecan Pie I was typing this and my son said, "I remember that. That was so good." We have it on our holidays. It was so nice to come up with a safe alternative that tastes so good. It may not be one that I make on a daily basis... but it is so wonderful -- I thought it deserved a mention.

#220052 - 10/18/05 09:58 AM
JackieK

Reged: 09/20/05

Do you have the recipe for the sloppy joes?

#220056 - 10/18/05 10:11 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Do you have the recipe for the sloppy joes?

All-American Sloppy Joes (from Newsletter)

--------------------

#220061 - 10/18/05 10:38 AM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I love the Garden Veggie lomein! it is phenomenal..

I also love the fried rice recipe

and also the peppermint fudge cake of course!!

I was wondering.. has anyone tried the smoky black bean dip, or the green pea dip? how bout the crostinis? I've been interested in them all but haven't tried them!

Also.. good to hear the crab and corn soup is good steather. I've been wanting to try that too!

--------------------

#220080 - 10/18/05 11:37 AM
steather

Hey Ashley, you have me wanting to try the Garden Veggie lomein!! Actually, everyone on here has added to my list of must-trys....

--------------------
Heather

#220083 - 10/18/05 11:42 AM
Shell Marr

I'm so glad that others are listing items that they like...in "Eating for IBS" that was the whole point in posting this thread was to try and find out what others like...sometimes it is hard to READ a recipe and get excited about trying it. I've not tried one recipe of Heather's that I did NOT like.... I will list my fav 5 soon.... it will be hard to only pick 5...lol

Keep posting everyone.... this very interesting to me and am sure helpful for Heather to see this as well....feedback is so important.....

--------------------

#220095 - 10/18/05 12:10 PM
Maddie

Reged: 03/09/05
Loc: Boston , MA

the only recipes i made so far have been desserts, never baked anything before this and everyone thinks im an expert hehe

absolutely love the Banana Creme pie i brought this to a party everyone LOVED it!
Apple pumpkin spice bread, oh boy this was a BIG hit! gave some to my neighbors, they are asking me to make it again, defintely something i will bring to thanksgiving dinner

lemon loaf made this over the weekend, soo moist and lemoney..im on the 3rd day of eating it, hubby loves it too!

For my birthday my hubby made me the chocolate pecan cake w/raspberry sauce, boy was that good! rich and chocolately and the sauce on top excellent!

Going to have to make some of the dinner recipes now
thank you all for sharing your favorites!

--------------------
Thanks,
Maddie

-------
IBS-D

#220113 - 10/18/05 01:04 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

Could TVP be substituted for ground turkey???

One of my favorite is the very easy and quick cinnamon rolls - absolutely delicious!!

#220118 - 10/18/05 01:18 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Could TVP be substituted for ground turkey???

One of my favorite is the very easy and quick cinnamon rolls - absolutely delicious!!

Yes, you could use ground turkey (use breast for less fat)

--------------------

#220124 - 10/18/05 01:28 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Ooh, I like your descriptions! It's motivating me to try more recipes!

#220125 - 10/18/05 01:30 PM
lalala

I've tried the smoky black bean dip! It's delicious--very creamy and smooth, great taste. I've also used it as a spread on flour tortillas, sort of like a roll-up, and mixed it with rice.

#220126 - 10/18/05 01:36 PM
lalala

I'm sort of new to this cooking thing, but I'm getting braver in the kitchen every day!

My favorites so far:

1. Smokey Black Bean Dip - Um, if you haven't realized it by now, I'm a fan of black beans.

2. Peppermint Fudge Cake - If you love peppermint and chocolate, this cake will make your taste buds FREAK OUT--in a good way, of course.

3. Indian Chai Milk Tea - Soothing and comforting, this is great with regular white bread or a slice of sweet quick bread. A nice bedtime snack.

You could also try these Sloppy Joes ... new
      #220145 - 10/18/05 02:51 PM
Sand

HanSolo's Sloppy Joes - they use ground turkey (or chicken) and they're wonderful. (I've never made Heather's from the Newsletter, so I can't compare the two.)

If the cinnamon rolls you're talking about are mine (here), I'm glad you like them. If they're somebody else's, would you let me know where to find the recipe - I love cinnamon. Thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I've tried both ... new
      #220146 - 10/18/05 02:59 PM
Sand

Quote:

I was wondering.. has anyone tried the smoky black bean dip, or the green pea dip? how bout the crostinis? I've been interested in them all but haven't tried them!

I tried the Smoky Black Bean Dip and wasn't crazy about it - there's one on the recipe index that I liked a little better, but for this dish I think I just miss the high fat content too much to get into a low-fat version. Too many years of Frito-Lay's Refried Bean Dip.

I also tried the Crostini with Roasted Garlic and Green Pea Dip. It wasn't for me (I'm not a big green pea fan and much prefer the Brushcetta with White Bean and Almond Dip), but I have a friend who's a vegan who adored it. It's the only recipe she's ever asked me for.

--------------------

Thanks for the info!! -nt- new
      #220147 - 10/18/05 03:20 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

--------------------

#220187 - 10/18/05 08:16 PM
ChristineM

Reged: 05/31/04
Loc: soCal

Kree,

I made the whitefish tonight, and I found it kind of bland... Do you do anything special to make it really good?

--------------------
Christine

Those who can do; those who want it done better teach.

OK... here are my top 5....(not in order) new
      #220193 - 10/18/05 09:25 PM
Shell Marr

OK... here are my top 5....(not in order)

• Crunchy Skillet-Browned Garlic New Potatoes, Page 118
    I use red, and you have to be patient while the water evaporates.

• Peppermint Fudge Cake, Page 246
    YUMMY!! (but Heather makes it the BEST, trust me I've have it two different times when she has made it... must be her magic touch!)

• Brer Rabbit Carrot Cake, Page 242-243
    So moist and yummy...the Sweet Orange Icing is a MUST!! Great for Easter!!

• Sweet Mango And Roasted Tomato Salsa, Page 67
    this is great with and without mango, you could also use peaches. I've also used this to put over white rice and chicken as well.

• Sweet Cherry Almond Cake, Page 257
    This is SO GOOD...I will be trying this with plums, maybe to bring for Christmas.

--------------------

my other favorite top 4... new
      #220207 - 10/19/05 04:16 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03

I didn't realize in the subject it said top 5 ...so after pumpkin apple spice bread, these are my favorite:

-Brer rabbit carrot cake
-peppermint fudge cake
-fat rice noodles with shrimp (cannot remember the actual name, don't have the book in front of me!)
-banana cream pie

These are all yummy, but I havent got the chance to make very much out of the book as I cannot get alot of the ingredients here! But everything looks very good.

Re: my other favorite top 4... new
      #220211 - 10/19/05 05:11 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I didn't realize in the subject it said top 5 ...so after pumpkin apple spice bread, these are my favorite:

-Brer rabbit carrot cake
-peppermint fudge cake
-fat rice noodles with shrimp (cannot remember the actual name, don't have the book in front of me!)
-banana cream pie

These are all yummy, but I havent got the chance to make very much out of the book as I cannot get alot of the ingredients here! But everything looks very good.

LOL...here it is.... I've always wanted to try this one!!
-fat rice noodles with sweet black soy sauce, scallions, and prawns, page 208-9

--------------------

Re: OK... here are my top 5....(not in order) new
      #220239 - 10/19/05 08:21 AM
steather

Shell, since you have tried the sweet cherry almond cake...did you have trouble getting it to rise at all? My cake was so flat and thin when I made it.

--------------------
Heather

sweet cherry almond cake new
      #220240 - 10/19/05 08:42 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Shell, since you have tried the sweet cherry almond cake...did you have trouble getting it to rise at all? My cake was so flat and thin when I made it.

OK, I have to confess here... I did not make it personally...but the Chef at Imperial Palace in Las Vegas did for Fall Sprawl... 2004 it was really really yummy but 2005 I think it was a different Chef and it LOOKED undercooked, but it tasted yummy...LOL I will let you know when I personally make it with the plums...

--------------------

I'll start with desserts... new
      #220246 - 10/19/05 08:58 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

Chocolate silk pudding - chocolate
Almost like Cheesecake with lemon - reminds me of a key lime pie or lemon meringue pie
Lime pecan cinnamon bread - I like the flavor combo
Corn bread - so moist, not dry like most other receipes I've tried.
Lime mint sorbet - very refreshing

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: sweet cherry almond cake new
      #220250 - 10/19/05 10:00 AM
steather

Dangit! All the more reason to go to Fall Sprawl!! Hehe

Do you remember how thick the cake was? Was it like only 2-3 inches thick? Or had it risen to normal size? You guys didn't happen to take a picture of it did you?

--------------------
Heather

#220259 - 10/19/05 10:44 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Dangit! All the more reason to go to Fall Sprawl!! Hehe

Do you remember how thick the cake was? Was it like only 2-3 inches thick? Or had it risen to normal size? You guys didn't happen to take a picture of it did you?

Here is from 2004 Fall Sprawl

Here is from 2005 Fall Sprawl

--------------------

Thanks!! new
      #220272 - 10/19/05 11:35 AM
steather

Wow, you're speedy, Shell! Thanks for the pics...and I must have done something terribly wrong...because that cake looks so much taller (and more appetizing) than mine did. Mine tasted fine...it was just a puny little flat thing.

--------------------
Heather

Re: Mine, too! new
      #220288 - 10/19/05 01:31 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

My sweet cherry almond cake was about one inch high.

--------------------

#220294 - 10/19/05 01:56 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

My sweet cherry almond cake was about one inch high.

Alicia did you like it??

--------------------

Maybe this is the problem new
      #220309 - 10/19/05 02:23 PM
Sand

I have a recipe for a cookie that's almost like a meringue. I tried making it with packaged egg whites (not from fresh eggs) and, although the cookies tasted great, they looked like little flat puddles. I then read the side of the egg white package and it said that since the whites were pasteurized, they might not be suitable for stuff like meringues. I took a look at the cake y'all are talking about and it looks to me like the only thing that would give it any height is whipping the egg whites - I don't see anything that would make it rise. So, if you're using packaged egg whites, maybe they just won't whip up enough.

--------------------

#220312 - 10/19/05 02:31 PM
steather

Glad to know I'm not alone in making flat cakes

--------------------
Heather

Re: Loved it! new
      #220317 - 10/19/05 02:39 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

It just looked funny. Tasted great.

--------------------

Re: Maybe this is the problem new
      #220324 - 10/19/05 03:02 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I have a recipe for a cookie that's almost like a meringue. I tried making it with packaged egg whites (not from fresh eggs) and, although the cookies tasted great, they looked like little flat puddles. I then read the side of the egg white package and it said that since the whites were pasteurized, they might not be suitable for stuff like meringues. I took a look at the cake y'all are talking about and it looks to me like the only thing that would give it any height is whipping the egg whites - I don't see anything that would make it rise. So, if you're using packaged egg whites, maybe they just won't whip up enough.

GREAT TIP!! Thanks so much!!

--------------------

#220400 - 10/19/05 08:03 PM
xc_girl

Reged: 10/19/05

The same thing happened to me the first time I made it--turned out I didn't beat the eggs enough. They have to be white and fluffy all the way down in the bowl (not just holding peaks on the top), if that makes sense. I had to use a hand mixer. The second time I made sure the eggs were totally beaten, and it came out perfect!

Although of course, the boyfriend thought it was great the first time :-)

Whitefish new
      #220562 - 10/20/05 04:56 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Quote:

Kree,

I made the whitefish tonight, and I found it kind of bland... Do you do anything special to make it really good?

I don't think so! I just followed the recipe. I like simple fish recipes, though, so it's probably just preference. Although I did use basil and oregano instead of whatever spices she has listed because my apartment wasn't stocked up yet. I suppose that could have made a difference.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

#220573 - 10/20/05 05:24 PM
cheval

Reged: 09/09/05
Loc: Western Washington

My favorite bread recipe is in "The First Year" book rather than the cookbook, but I thought I'd mention it here anyway. It's the Maple Oat Bread, and adding chopped pecans is a must for me. I usually eat the whole loaf myself in about three or four days!

--------------------
*IBS-D*

#220685 - 10/21/05 03:52 PM
aimsies

Reged: 10/20/05
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Hi there,
I am pretty new here and I am looking for a recipe for Banana Cream Pudding.
Would You mind sharing this recipe?
I searched for it, however, I can't seem to find it. Maybe I am searching in the wrong place.

Thanks Aimsies

Banana Cream Pudding new
      #220688 - 10/21/05 04:08 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Hi there,
I searched for it, however, I can't seem to find it. Maybe I am searching in the wrong place.

Thanks Aimsies

That recipe is From Heather's Book "Eating for IBS"..part of a pie recipe.... I don't have my book with me right now am at work...hehehe but if someone else does not beat me to it...I will post it later for you.

--------------------

Shell new
      #220695 - 10/21/05 06:08 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

If you have time would you please post Heather's recipe for cornbread from EFI. Hubby went on a cleaning spree in the kitchen and now my copy is missing! I even went out to the store last night to buy cornmeal. I have had a craving for it. If it can't be posted here could you e-mail me???? Thank you!!

Orange Corn Bread aka Simple Sweet Cornbread Page 113 From EFI new
      #220699 - 10/21/05 06:24 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

If you have time would you please post Heather's recipe for cornbread from EFI. Hubby went on a cleaning spree in the kitchen and now my copy is missing! I even went out to the store last night to buy cornmeal. I have had a craving for it. If it can't be posted here could you e-mail me???? Thank you!!

Orange Corn Bread(aka Simple Sweet Cornbread Page 113 From EFI)

--------------------

Husband Cleaning??? new
      #220700 - 10/21/05 06:37 PM
m_odonnell

Reged: 05/14/05

Your husband cleans the kitchen??? Where can I buy one of those cleaning husbands? Of course, if he did clean, I would probably be missing my copy of EFI...

Re: Husband Cleaning??? new
      #220702 - 10/21/05 06:39 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Your husband cleans the kitchen??? Where can I buy one of those cleaning husbands? Of course, if he did clean, I would probably be missing my copy of EFI...

LOL.....me too!! Shane is NOT ALLOWED to do dishes....(we don't have a dishwasher, can you imagine)... however, he DOES do the floors!!

--------------------

Re: Banana Cream Pudding new
      #220703 - 10/21/05 06:40 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Hi there,

Thanks Aimsies

That recipe is From Heather's Book "Eating for IBS"..part of a pie recipe.... I don't have my book with me right now am at work...hehehe but if someone else does not beat me to it...I will post it later for you.

Working on this right now for ya....

--------------------

Banana Creme Pudding (From Old-Fashioned Banana Creme Pie Page 244-245 EFI) new
      #220705 - 10/21/05 06:51 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Hi there,

Thanks Aimsies

Working on this right now for ya....

Banana Creme Pudding (From Old-Fashioned Banana Creme Pie Page 244-245 EFI)

2 firm-ripe bananas
1/3 cup brown sugar
½ cup all-purpose unbleached white flour
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups vanilla soy milk
5 organic egg whites, lightly beaten until frothy
1 tablespoon vanilla

Thinly slice bananas set aside. In a large heavy double boiler whisk together sugar, flour, and salt. Whisk in milk, scraping around sides with a rubber spatula as necessary and set pan over boiling water. Cook until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat and carefully whisk several large spoonfuls of hot pudding into the egg whites to temper them. Add the egg mixture back to the pan of pudding and whisk well to thoroughly blend. Return the pan to the heat whisk constantly until thickened. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Fold sliced bananas into cooked pudding mixture and spoon into 8 decorative glasses. Chill

*Chocolate Variation: Add 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar to the dry ingredients.

--------------------

add cornbread to my list- nt new
      #220710 - 10/21/05 07:28 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Orange Corn Bread aka Simple Sweet Cornbread Page 113 From EFI new
      #220727 - 10/22/05 06:45 AM
Angela E.

Thank you Shell! Guess where we found it this morning?? On one of the bar stools! It was pushed in under the island and we couldn't see it! I am actually eating a piece of cornbread right now. MMMMMM it is really good!

Re: Husband Cleaning??? new
      #220728 - 10/22/05 06:47 AM
Angela E.

LOL! I can't complain too much because he is pretty good about picking up. Especially when things start looking really bad which happens often in our house with us both working and a 21 month old!

Re: Banana Creme Pudding (From Old-Fashioned Banana Creme Pie Page 244-245 EFI) new
      #220733 - 10/22/05 08:02 AM
aimsies

Thank you so much for the recipe. Ever since I heard about it I have been looking forward to making it. I do have a question though, I find that I am still sensitive to soy milk. I have been slowly introducing it since I have a heck of a time digesting anything that has to do with any kind of beans. Do you think that I could use Lactaid brand 2% milk and add an extra 1/2 tbsp of vanilla? Do you know if anyone has ever tried using a variation?
Thanks so much!

Amy

Re: You could also try these Sloppy Joes ... new
      #220751 - 10/22/05 12:33 PM

Reged: 01/05/05

It is your receipe and I make them ALL the time - they are easy and very, very good!!

Re: Banana Creme Pudding (From Old-Fashioned Banana Creme Pie Page 244-245 EFI) new
      #220752 - 10/22/05 12:36 PM
Angela E.

I would not use Lactaid milk because it still contains things in it that will bother an IBS tummy. What about rice milk? I think that come in vanilla. If not you could always just add extra vanilla flavoring to it!

sloppy joes new
      #220756 - 10/22/05 02:18 PM
jen1013

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: the wabe

I made the sloppy joes (w/ TVP) from the newsletter and thought that they were terrific.

However, they made a LOT, so I ate them leftover the next day as well. They didn't taste as good, which I didn't mind, but I found that I now had little crunchy bits in it, like little pieces of glass. I had just refrigerated it, not frozen it, and microwaved it before eating. I don't understand why they would have gotten that way when they weren't like that the day before. Anyone else have this problem?? I thought maybe it was the TVP, which I have never used before, but if it wasn't crunchy on day 1, why would it be crunchy on day 2??

--------------------
jen

"It's one of the most serious things that can possibly happen to one in a battle -- to get one's head cut off." -- LC

#220766 - 10/22/05 03:46 PM
aimsies

You know, I just thought of that today when I was at the supermarket. Rice milk does come in Vanilla. I think that I am going to give it a try. Do you think that it will be thick enough?

me too today-nt- new
      #220768 - 10/22/05 05:03 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Thanks, I'm glad you like them. Time for me to make them again! -nt- new
      #220807 - 10/23/05 08:33 AM
Sand

--------------------

Oh my gosh, there are so many recipes I have to try now!! new
      #220851 - 10/23/05 04:04 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

We just got our oven hooked up so I can finally cook in peace whatever and whenever I want!
I haven't really taken advantage yet but after reading all these recipes and remembering how many I wanted to try before, I must must must try these!
I have a short week next week so I think I will make some breads and other things to take to work with me and stuff.
I am so excited, thanks so much to everyone who posted here, so many great ideas!

Oh, I love the peppermint fudge cake!

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#222111 - 10/30/05 10:30 AM
aimsies

So I gave this delicious recipe a try, it was soooo good. I had to use rice milk, and it was quite liquidy, so it wouldn't have been ideal for making the actual pie, but it tasted great as a pudding snack. Thanks for the info!!

Well, I tried two last week... new
      #222176 - 10/30/05 09:21 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

1) Will's Rice Pudding Recipe: Now this one was going to be tough for me as I have never liked rice pudding, but I thought I would give it a shot as I would like something for breakfasts.
Unfortunately, I did not like it. BUT that doesn't mean it's not good! I did serve it to my mom, my friend and Adrian and they all liked it. I did find it really bland at first, I think I didn't have enough lemon zest, so I added some lemon juice and that made it better in my books.. 'cause I LOVE lemon.

2) Italian Tuna.. um, pasta salad... noodle, something..
(Sorry, I don't have the book on me right now so I can't remember the exact name! )
This one I didn't have all the veggies for, but I made it anyway and I think it turned out pretty well. I used one of those plastic juice squeezer thingies to get all the lemon juice and it was REALLY lemon-y. Especially the next day, the tuna was pretty sour as I think it absorbed like crazy! I love lemon-y things, but I think it might be a bit strong for some people. I had it for lunch and dinner, though, so I liked it!

Next thing I am going to make is the corn bread! I was gonna make it already, but then I realised my soy milk is vanilla and I thought that might be icky.

So there are my reviews!
I can't wait to make the peppermint fudge cake again.. I had a dream the other night that I got married and had a huge wedding cake of peppermint fudge cake, and since then I have had a real craving, hee hee!!

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Pumpkin apple spice bread new
      #222271 - 10/31/05 10:16 AM
redsoxgirlforever

Reged: 06/22/05
Loc: Boston

This is my favorite so far of everything I tried. This is moist, delicous and keeps so well. Also, it is nice and filing - it will hold me over until lunch time. And the best part is its sweet and just like a muffin without all the fat, calories and pain!!!

#323484 - 01/29/08 10:19 AM
Shell Marr

Oh, I'm gonna have to try the Open-Face Chesapeake Crab Cake Sandwiches..... I have yet to do that....

Quote:

1. Banana bread - my absolute favorite, even my neighbors who think I eat the strangest things love it!! I love it because it is good for breakfast or even just to snack on.
2. Sweet-Tart Orange Cranberry Bread - yummy yummy yummy...its like a dessert you can have for breakfast.
3. Open-Face Chesapeake Crab Cake Sandwiches - my husband HATES crab, but cannot get enough of these sandwiches
4. Honey Glazed Snack Mix - I make this once a week for when I get a craving for something crunchy
5. Banana Chips - these are great. I hate fresh banana's but I love these.

Thats all I have for now...I am realatively new to all this, so every week, I try at least one new recipe from the book, one attempt at adapting an old recipe and one off line, then I keep some of our old favorites in so my husband doesn't go on new-tastes overkill...

--------------------

#323539 - 01/30/08 06:54 AM

Unregistered

How did you get your potatoes to get crispy??? I tried this and they didn't get crispy no matter how long I cooked them

#323544 - 01/30/08 08:24 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

OK... here are my top 5....(not in order)

• Crunchy Skillet-Browned Garlic New Potatoes, Page 118
    I use red, and you have to be patient while the water evaporates.

• Peppermint Fudge Cake, Page 246
    YUMMY!! (but Heather makes it the BEST, trust me I've have it two different times when she has made it... must be her magic touch!)

• Brer Rabbit Carrot Cake, Page 242-243
    So moist and yummy...the Sweet Orange Icing is a MUST!! Great for Easter!!

• Sweet Mango And Roasted Tomato Salsa, Page 67
    this is great with and without mango, you could also use peaches. I've also used this to put over white rice and chicken as well.

• Sweet Cherry Almond Cake, Page 257
    This is SO GOOD...I will be trying this with plums, maybe to bring for Christmas.

Quote:

How did you get your potatoes to get crispy??? I tried this and they didn't get crispy no matter how long I cooked them

Ya know.... I don't recall... it's been a long time since I made them. Maybe it was the type of pan? I don't remember if I used non-stick or cast iron?

--------------------

#323552 - 01/30/08 10:17 AM
MelanieR

Reged: 02/15/07
Loc: Florida

I'm so hungry now after reading your post. I too haven't tried as many as I would like. I think you all have inspired me to try more. My favorite are....

1) Banana Bread
2) Rice Krispie Treats
3) Simple Sweet Cornbread
4) Mushroom, Crab and Dill Omelet
5) Banana Cornmeal Pancakes

How many recipes are in the "First Year Book?" I have been thinking about picking this up.

--------------------
Crohns, lactose intolerant

#370186 - 09/14/13 12:34 PM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

This is an old topic but nice to read about the favorites.

1. I love the spaghetti with spanish almond romesco sauce. We make more sauce and put it in the freezer. I also like the sauce on salads as a dressing. Page 217.

2. The rainy day lemon and ginger tea. It's very nice when you drink it as icetea. Friends without ibs also like it. Page 46.

3. Chinese sweet corn and crab velvet soup. Really great soup. Page 150

4. Toasted bagels with lox and lemon-caper cream cheese.. well, it's so easy but so great, loved this befor with normal creamcheese, but now I don't get attacks. Page 163

5. Crispy pizza with shredded chicken, scallions and smoky sweet bbq sauce. Very great pizza. We only added mushrooms on top. Page 222.

Today we had the inguine with calamari and garlic white wine sauce. That is also together with the pizza a nr. 5.

Saskia

These are some of my favorites too! -nt- new
      #370206 - 09/17/13 03:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: These are some of my favorites too! -nt- new
      #370310 - 09/27/13 10:58 AM
Sassie

Reged: 07/02/13
Loc: The Netherlands, Europe

Last week we had the pasta with calamari. My mother in law also loved this one :-)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 317 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 167475

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review