All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: WW points new
      #78808 - 06/13/04 09:31 PM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Yep Linz I was the one who posted this on the Vegas board...

Weight watchers points
The higher the calories in a food serving, the more points are in there. Numbers in the low tens are easier for people to deal with than the numbers in the thousands which calorie counting involves. Most dieters follow the weight watchers points program by joining a class, where they're weighed each week, meet other dieters, and receive support and advice from the class organizer.

Believe it or not, the "secret" formula used to work out how many weight watchers points a meal contains is protected by a US patent. Although there are many variations of the formula, here's one that's included in the patent.

One point = (calories/50) + (fat grams/12) - (min{r, 4}/5)

The last part of the formula — min{r, 4} — is equal to the number of grams of dietary fiber or 4, whichever is the smaller number. The formula means that one point is equal to the number of calories in a food serving divided by 50. The value increases by about one point for every 12 grams of fat, and drops by about one point for every five grams of fiber.

The problem is that you don't know the fat grams (unless Shell has this figured out?!?!) or the fiber grams, so that would be a rough estimation. But if you have that little manual WW calculator that you get when you join you can just slide it to the number of cals (estimate the fat - must be fairly low since its an IBS safe recipe) and depending on the fiber grams, the point value probably wouldnt range more than a point or two at most. Hope that helps a little.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks Ibsgrl......................I searched on the LVFS board and .. new
      #78819 - 06/13/04 11:21 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

found the link to what you had said there.........essentially what you've said here too....

You're a jewel............. A big hug for jumping in on this.

Linz, hope this helps...

Kandee

--------------------

no problem Kandee! -nt- new
      #78859 - 06/14/04 06:47 AM
ibsgrl

Reged: 04/18/04
Loc: Canada

Re: Must try Zucchini Bread. new
      #83553 - 06/26/04 03:41 PM
Cara4503

Reged: 03/20/04

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just made this today and it is SOOOOO good. I'm very excited if you can't tell!

--------------------
~Cara~

#83710 - 06/27/04 09:41 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

You are welcome!!! Heather helped me with this recipe. My neighbor gave me Zucchini bread last Fall and it was very good, but oily. I asked for the recipe and it called for "one cup of oil"! IBS and too much oil don't mix well together.
Glad you enjoy it and I think I'll head to the store tomorrow and buy zucchini - you all made me hungry for it.

Give a little to your neighbor... new
      #83737 - 06/27/04 12:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and I bet she'll like your version better than the original recipe with all that oil!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#283783 - 09/24/06 07:50 PM
Jen73

Reged: 09/24/06

This was so awesome! I thought I wouldn't be able to cook any of my favorites now that I'm diagnosed with IBS. YUMMO! This one is a keeper. THANKS!

Questions new
      #301379 - 03/04/07 01:00 PM
karl

Reged: 11/15/06
Loc: USA

Sorry if this is a dumb question but are you suppoesed to peel the zucchini before shredding it?

Also...you say 2 small pans or 1 large. Would a 5"x9" be considered large or small?

Edited by karl (03/07/07 04:37 AM)

Peel zucchini first?? - nt new
      #301638 - 03/07/07 04:36 AM
karl

Reged: 11/15/06
Loc: USA

Re: Peel zucchini first?? - nt new
      #301662 - 03/07/07 08:03 AM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

I never peel the zucchini when I make zucchini bread. It's an easy way to work in a little IF!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 392 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23506

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review