All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Substitutions for Heathers Pizza Party Snack Mix
      #2051 - 03/06/03 03:56 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

If you can't get soy bleu cheese salad dressing, substitute it with 1 1/2 tbsp extra tomato paste and 1 1/2 tbsp water.
If you can't get corn and rice chex, substitute both with Crispix (one side is corn, one side is rice so it's essentially the same thing)
If you can't get soy romano, just double up on the soy parmesan.
If you can't get liquid smoke, I use liquid hickory smoke but just a drop or two.
Do not let not having all the ingredients stop you from trying this snack. It is incredible. BTW - has anyone substituted a fat free salad dressing for the soy bleu? Like fat-free italian or catalina or something? That should work, too.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Substitutions for Heathers Pizza Party Snack Mix new
      #2204 - 03/08/03 04:35 PM
Sweetwater

Reged: 03/01/03
Loc: NJ, USA

Thanks for posting that! Sometimes, I look at the recipes, saying, "I've never even heard of this stuff!!!" LOL I'm sure I could make that pizza party snack mix right now!!! Thanks girl!

Re: these are great! new
      #2205 - 03/08/03 04:37 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I've used fat free Ranch dressing (Kraft, I think) for the soy bleu, which I cannot find on the market anywhere anymore. I also can't find soy romano anymore, so I just double the soy parmesan and it works great.

I play a bit with the olive oil depending on whether there's fat in the salad dressing or not. I honestly don't think this recipe can be screwed up - it's just too flexible, and it always comes out great.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2361 - 03/10/03 12:24 PM
LLL

Reged: 01/30/03

Foolproof? Surely you jest. First time I tried, I created tomato-Chex-mush. Quite tasty, although the texture left a bit to be desired. I've also created soft-on-the-outside, burnt-on-the-inside pizza -no party- mix. I've had soggy mix and dry, very dry, mix. I've made smoky honey mix that set off the alarm. I've now taken to dipping my Chex individually in honey. My significant other says it might help if I followed the recipes EXACTLY. I tend to not listen to him.

On a cereal note, has anyone tried the new Strawberry Honeycomb?

Oh dear! new
      #2362 - 03/10/03 12:28 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Geez, I'm sorry. Sounds like one disaster after another. Do you have a really powerful microwave? You might try using something like 75% power for 60 seconds, then stirring. Just keep repeating that until everything is cooked but not burnt. Or try a regular oven, at 250F, and stir every 15 minutes.

I'm not sure why things would be too mushy or dry as long as the amounts of liquids to cereal remains the same. I haven't really altered the honey mix at all but I've played with the pizza mix a lot in terms of ingredient specifics (while keeping the proportions the same) and never had a problem.

Haven't seen strawberry honeycomb - I love the original though so I'll look!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#2365 - 03/10/03 12:51 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

I've had mine come out a bit mushy chewy, too. What I do is nuke for 60 seconds, stir REALLY well, let it sit and cool for a couple minutes (I think that some of the moisture leaves in steam then????), and then nuke again, and follow that pattern until it's crunchy. I found that the stirring and sitting really helped a lot.

--------------------

Re: these are great! - Strawberries in cereals... new
      #2395 - 03/10/03 04:14 PM
SharonMello

Loc: Groveland, CA

LLL - I tried one cereal with the dried strawberries and it was awful. I like 'em fresh, or not at all!
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

#10049 - 05/27/03 05:57 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Here's another twist I stumbled upon. If you like a more of a barbecue flavour, add 1/8 tsp ground chipotle pepper. It makes it both smoky and warm (spice wise). I added the chipotle pepper directly to the oil/tomato paste/liquid part and blended well - that way I didn't end up with "clumps" of the chipotle in the mix. Just for a little something different. I make this recipe so often that it's nice to have a variation.

If you do make this recipe a lot - here's a tip, when you're measuring out the spices, get out little tupperware containers and make a few "batches" of the spice part. That way you only need to dump the next time you make it.

--------------------

#10054 - 05/27/03 07:16 AM
shelly6686

Reged: 04/03/03
Loc: south carolina

I have used fat free ranch instead of the bleu cheese and my family loves it!
Shelly

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6252

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review