All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
HEATHER - made Better Than Cheesecake...
      #2018 - 03/06/03 10:05 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi Heather - I made your Better Than Cheesecake recipe this past weekend for dessert, but...nobody said anything,... and I mean nothin'! I served it w/fresh strawberries and cool whip. They didn't know it was made from tofu, but they know I'm eating healthier now. Anyway, I loved it. In fact, I ate the rest that was left over a few days after.

Only one thing, tho. The graham crust got very soggy when it sat in fridge and the springform pan "leaked" out the bottom. Is this from the tofu? I also used Extra Firm Lite tofu because when I was at the grocery store, I couldn't remember whether it was firm or extra firm. But it still tasted great. I added some vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Gave it a nice flavor.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: HEATHER - made Better Than Cheesecake... new
      #2025 - 03/06/03 11:21 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Glad you liked it! Yeah, the recipe will leak after a few days in the fridge. I should put a note about that in the book. I think it's because the moisture in the recipe is water in the tofu, and not fat (as it usually would be in cheesecake). The cornstarch absorbs the water and keeps it from leaking somewhat, but I think after the first day this doesn't works so well. The only alternative I can think of is to increase the fat in either the filling or the crust (the crust would hold liquid better if it was high fat) but I don't want to do that.

I've been playing around with blending very finely ground nuts into the graham crust, and that's been working well for things like pumpkin pie that are also high moisture/low fat. I haven't tried this with the cheesecake yet.

If anyone has some other ideas here, I'd love to here them. Right now, I just make the cheesecake when I know it will be all eaten in a day or two.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: HEATHER - I actually liked the mushy crumbs... new
      #2074 - 03/06/03 07:17 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Heather - Don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining about the soggy crumbs. I just scooped it up and put it in a plastic container and I ate it like pudding.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 129 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2094

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review