All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
How much fat can we eat per meal?
      #20028 - 09/09/03 09:04 AM
schwab

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: Dayton, OH

I know we need to limit ft as it is a trigger, but about how much per meal should we limit it to- 10-15 gms? I am estimating from Heather's recipes, but the meal plans also include dessert.

I love avocados and know they are allowed- good soluble fiber. But, since it does have fat- I read about 15 gms per half of regular California avocado- how much should I limit it? I am dying to make guacamole!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much fat can we eat per meal? new
      #20058 - 09/09/03 11:17 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I think that this question is better asked in the EFI board, but I've always went with the rule to have no more than 20 percent of my cals come from fat. But that's my personal preference. Some days I go over (no more than 30 percent) and some days I'm under. If you go to www.fitday.com they calculate your fat, protein, carb percentages for you (after you've entered your foods in). I think that Heather has a recipe for guac in her book. I also found this post from Heather

"Lately I've just been mashing the avocados with green Tabasco sauce (I'm totally addicted to the stuff). I add a squirt of lime if I'm really feeling ambitious, but that's it. It's a shortcut version that I've completely fallen in love with. When I'm really lazy, I just cut the avocado in half, take out the pit, use a fork to mash the filling right in the shell, and mix in the green Tabasco as I'm doing it. Then I just eat it right out of the shells with baked Tostitos. My secret joy is not having a bowl to wash at the end of it."

HTH!

--------------------
~jules

#20082 - 09/09/03 01:30 PM
schwab

Thanks for the reply, but I was actually meaning to ask the amount of fat that is allowed per meal b/c of it being a trigger, not for weight/health issues. I am pretty sure we do not have to worry that the IBS Diet is a high fat diet with how we have to prevent attacks caused by high fat contents!

Thank you for your effort! I should have been more clear.

#20083 - 09/09/03 01:41 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

Jules is correct, Heather has taught all of us to stay around 25% total fat content in any one meal to ward off triggering an attack. It has nothing to do with losing weight, shoot, my doctor wants me to gain 15 lbs.. Heather has a formula, you divide the total calories into the calories from fat and keep that percentage under 25%. When you're stable, sometimes you can up that a little as long as it isn't a trigger food.

#20084 - 09/09/03 01:55 PM
schwab

Oops! Sorry! I guess I misunderstood. I do not remember seeing that in Heather's book and I am new to the message board. I guess I was expecting an amount expressed in grams rather than percentage of calories b/c what if you are eating a higher calorie meal? Maybe I am making it difficult!

#20085 - 09/09/03 01:57 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

I use fitday not only to track foods for weight loss, but to track foods and my physical being, moods, etc. (there's an online journal) as part of my IBS. It helps tremendously to see what you've eaten for the past two weeks and how you react to those foods.

And I do believe that I understood your question, but I don't think that there is a guideline for exactly the number of fat grams that you can have per meal. It's all about balancing them out with carbs, protein, soluable/insoluable fiber, etc. which is why I find fitday so helpful. You can enter an entire day and see if your fat percentages are where they need to be. If they are not, you adjust.

I hope Heather or someone else out there can maybe (?) answer you with regard to the number of fat grams per meal.

Be well!

--------------------
~jules

#20111 - 09/09/03 05:23 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - What really does count is the percentage of fat in the meal total. If you're eating a larger meal, this will mean more fat grams, but the same percentage (20-25% is a good range). This doesn't mean you can eat a huge meal, of course - too much of any kind of food at once can over-trigger your gastrocolic reflex, and cause an attack.

Avocados are great - they've got about 100 fat calories in the whole thing, and lots of soluble fiber. Have them with an extra soluble fiber basis (like baked corn chips or a flour tortilla) and you can have guacamole to your heart's content.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#20164 - 09/10/03 09:36 AM
schwab

Thanks for everyboy's reply to my fat content question. You guys are great. My avocados are almost perfectly ripe to make Heather's guacamole! I am going to have it with the turkey soft tacos!

Try too much new
      #20171 - 09/10/03 10:22 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

I just got back from lunch at my favorite Mexican restaurant for my birthday tomorrow. I went a little too overboard. Had real fried chips with guacamole and salsa and food and dessert. I already feel like I am going to throw up and I'm sure that I will feel even worse in a little while. I guess I just wanted to make myself feel normal for my birthday lunch. I guess I will never be "NORMAL" Oh well!!!

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Happy Birthday, Lovejoy! -nt- new
      #20174 - 09/10/03 10:30 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

--------------------
- Jennifer

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3624

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review