All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Soy or Rice cheese
      #1966 - 03/05/03 01:39 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Just wondering if there are any brand that people really like. I have tried several and I am about to give up. They are bitter, slimy and a funny texture.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Soy or Rice cheese new
      #1968 - 03/05/03 02:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Galaxy Veggie Slices, cheddar or American flavor (haven't tried the other flavors). Soyco veggie or vegan Parmesan (comes in a little shaker). Okanagan pepper jack and cheddar (can't find in my local markets, but have tasted at food fairs).

Toffuti soy cream cheese works really well in recipes, but I'm not wild about spread plain on bagels.

In general, I've really liked all the soy cheeses I've tried that had casein in them. I have hated all the vegan (totally dairy-free) varieties that I've tried - had to just throw them out.

There's also a great cookbook I've got that I have yet to try recipes from, but which was recommended to me by someone who's opinion I really trust. The book also has great reviews on amazon.com. It's The Uncheese Cookbook, link is amazon

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1970 - 03/05/03 03:09 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Heather
Thank you. The vegan ones I don't like either that is why I was asking. I don't mind the taste of the cheeses with casein. I thought that casein was something to avoid.
I also have been thinking about getting The Uncheese Cookbook. Do you like it. I remember seeing you mention that in another post. My husband would probable kill me though . I tend to collect cookbooks. He picks on me every time I get one.

#1971 - 03/05/03 03:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Ideally, it's best to avoid casein. It's a dairy protein, and difficult to digest. Unfortunately, it's darn near impossible to find an edible soy cheese without casein. The good news is, the small amounts in the cheese are tolerable for a lot of folks with IBS (including me). This is an area where you just have to try and see if it's okay with you. I have no problems with any of the soy, rice, or almond cheeses I've tried -especially compared to what regular cheese does to me.

The cookbook looks fabulous - I just haven't had a chance to actually use it! I tend to collect too many cookbooks too...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#1996 - 03/05/03 08:09 PM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Torbetta - I especially like the SoyaKaas mozzarella style and the SoyaKaas Mild cheddar style. I eat the mozzarella by itself it's so good. The cheddar style melts fairly well. Both these cheeses have 4 g fat in 1 oz. They both have caseinate (a milk protein) and guar gum (Benefiber is made from this).

Good luck finding good ones.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 154 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3490

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review