All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Leeks, scallions, green onions and shallots
      #18994 - 08/29/03 10:36 AM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Are these all the same thing by different names? If not, do the last 3 have the same effect of causing gas like leeks, onions and garlic do? I really don't want to stir things up in there and start getting gas again, b/c I've only started being gas free on H's diet as of this week, after being on her diet for 3 weeks today. It's sooooo wonderful to not have gas, so I'll avoid ANYTHING that I believe will cause it again!

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Leeks, scallions, green onions and shallots new
      #18998 - 08/29/03 11:22 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Scallions and green onions are the same thing (and also called spring onions). Leeks are a different item (though they look sort of like giant green onions) and so are shallots (which look like small, pinkish-papered onions). The plants are all members of the lily family like regular onions, garlic, chives, etc.

These foods can cause gas because they contain sulfur, and they're also high in insoluble fiber which can trigger attacks. But - the good news is that cooking them well destroys the sulfur, and also breaks down the fiber. So, once you're stable, you might try adding in small amounts of one of these foods with a low fat, high soluble fiber basis, and see how you do. Something like mincing up a little garlic for a fried rice would be a good test. Most folks are pleasantly surprised to find that these foods are pretty tolerable when they're eaten carefully. And since they do have so many health benefits if you find that you can work them into your diet, by all means do so.

Using Beano can also help make them more tolerable.

But, trust yourself here. Don't try to add them into your diet until you feel safe and sound, and if you do try them and have problems just go back to avoiding them.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Leeks, scallions, green onions and shallots .....thanks for all the info Heather! -nt- new
      #19037 - 08/29/03 02:21 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1800

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review