--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Wheat berries (aka, groats - who knew?) new
      #187922 - 06/21/05 02:26 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've never had wheat berries - in fact, I don't think I'd ever heard of them by that name until I found the salmon recipe in Heather's EFI. I had heard of groats - they turn up in British novels from time to time, especially historical ones.

I found this page with a little info about them. Based on this, I would think they're equivalent to whole wheat, so mostly IF. Also, they don't show up on the list of Soluble Fiber Foods, so I'd say definitely treat as IF and eat cautiously. And, if you're like me and just can't handle whole wheat, period, I'd avoid them. (I'm not quite sure what you mean by "safe", so I hope this answers your question.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Insoluble fiber IS safe... new
      #187945 - 06/21/05 03:54 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

We need IF... as much as possible... we just need to eat it safely, with a good cushion of SF.

And yeah, I would consider wheat berries IF. If you decide to try them, be sure you eat them with plenty of a soluble fiber base of some sort.

Re: Wheat berries (aka, groats - who knew?) new
      #188024 - 06/21/05 08:10 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Thanks for this info Sand and for your thoughts, Casey. I felt quite sure that they were mostly IF. I just wanted to be certain about this b/c Heather's recipe using them with salmon surprised me. It doesn't say anything about eating this recipe with a high soluble fiber food. Her other recipes that have alot of IF in them always either include a high SF food in them or, if they don't, she specifically says to eat this high IF recipe with a high SF food. Guess I was being a bit paranoid, but I'm so afraid of eating anything that could make me worse.

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

this is a good question because new
      #188025 - 06/21/05 08:14 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Heather has a delicious recipe of salmon over wheat berries with baby greens and pecans. I don't think she would have a recipe of all IF so they must be safe somehow to eat alone. I have made this twice and loved it! I thought they were pearled like barley but that site said not. Maybe there is some dissimilarity in various countries.
I hope Heather sees this.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Wheat berries (aka, groats - who knew?) new
      #188254 - 06/22/05 09:26 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't think you're being paranoid - I think you're being appropriately cautious. I looked through EFI and you're pretty much right - this recipe and a handful of others appear to be the only ones that don't have SF in the recipe and don't have a recommendation from Heather for an SF to eat with them. Could just be typos - mental or printer's - or maybe by the time we get to those recipes we're supposed to know on our own to add SF. Or maybe LittleMinnie is right and wheat berries are something else in this country. Hopefully Heather will chime in on this one. In the meantime, I'd make rice or something to go with this.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

that site is American so I guess that theory of different countries is out the window- nt new
      #188410 - 06/22/05 05:09 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

I think they may be higher in insoluble fiber than I'd originally realized.. new
      #188450 - 06/22/05 06:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

they are supposed to be the soluble fiber base in the salmon recipe, and they do cook up like barley. I'm really not sure if the UK and US versions of them are different - it sounds like they might be. If you're at all unsure, I'd substitute rice for the wheat berries this recipe, or at least make a blend of the two.

My mistake...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

thanks Heather new
      #188623 - 06/23/05 11:17 AM
Little Minnie

I love that recipe and the wheat berries! Of course I always eat everything with a white roll or baguette. But maybe pearled barley could stand in for the wheat berries?

--------------------

Yup, that would be great! -nt- new
      #188826 - 06/24/05 01:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 109 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7256

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review