All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Bridal Shower- What to serve?
      #18717 - 08/27/03 12:46 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

My Sister-in-law is getting married. Yeah. After 37 years of being single she has met the most wonderful man. They just got engaged a few weeks ago and are getting married Nov. 1. All four of us are in the wedding and so here comes the bridal shower. The bridesmaids are getting together next week to discuss everything. I would like to include some foods I can eat in the menu and I would love some suggest of foods that people will be asking for the recipes. What can I say? I have not helped out putting on a bridal shower since my sister's, nine years ago. Anyways, the long and short of it, any suggestions?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Bridal Shower- What to serve? new
      #18720 - 08/27/03 01:30 PM
Olivia

Reged: 08/20/03
Loc: Detroit, Mi

Sandwiches! I was in a wedding and the shower was great. They puchased croissants (of course, recommend french bread), and four different kinds of salads (tuna, chicken, egg and seafood). They bought everything at a bulk food store, so it was pretty cheap. To skip out on the foods with lots of mayo suggest lunchmeat, or chicken breasts, shripm platters...all that fun food. And it will be a bunch of ladies so you can have all that fun finger food like hummus, breads, homemade slasas and dips (you can volunteer to make some, I bet no one will notice if you use soy products instead).

Hope this helps!

#18799 - 08/28/03 06:09 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

The lemon cake would be good, sliced thin with some fresh strawberries on the side. Everyone loved that at my luncheon! The smoky eggplant hummus was a big hit too.

#18859 - 08/28/03 10:46 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

The sandwiches are a good idea. And, if they're made small and cut into finger size triangles, they'll look a bit fancy too. Try the EFI recipes that use chutneys with different smoked turkey/chicken breast, smoked fish, salmon, etc. You can just mix and match the poultry/fish/chutneys and small bits of fresh veggies (a basil or lettuce leaf, thin tomato slice, thin peeled cucumber slice, etc.) That and a selection of breads like the lemon, banana, pumpkin, zucchini, etc. would be a lovely light lunch.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#18956 - 08/29/03 05:35 AM
mmacrobbie

Reged: 02/12/03

I love Heather's carrot cake also from her book. I get a lot of compliments on that cake

#19717 - 09/05/03 08:51 AM
torbetta

Just thought I would update you in case you are interested. We have decided on a Southwestern/ Mexican theme. We are definately serving the Black bean dip, Smoky eggplant hummus, Salsa and Guacamole. I realize the hummus isn't southwestern but we think it works. Any other suggestions along that line will be considered.

#19722 - 09/05/03 09:13 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Hi Torbetta,

I did a search and found a few more things which may fit in your Mexican theme. I am not sure how much of meal type things you want to do, but here are a few ideas from the Recipe Board:

Chipotle -Black Bean Dip

or

Mexican Casserole.

Maybe these will help you out. Have fun at the shower. Are you gonna have a pinyata to go with the theme too? LOL I know it's not a birthday party! But you could fill it with buttons, or soothers or small things that the other women can use around their house like wooden spoons or orange zesters etc.

Just a thought! LOL

Take care,

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#19731 - 09/05/03 11:44 AM
torbetta

We are talking about a piņata. Can you picture a bunch of thirty, forty and fifty year old women getting excited about it? I can see my daughters getting excited and I know the teens and twenty year olds will get a kick out of it. One bridesmaid wants to get her husband to come and play Mexican music. I can't remember what it is called. I think it started with an m. I don't know. That would be a riot.

The Chipotle-Black Bean Dip is the black dip I was talking about. We are serving appetizers so I don't think the casserole will work but I will look at it again.

#19733 - 09/05/03 11:48 AM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

Ohmigosh - I thought it was a baby shower - WTH was I thinking? I don't know why I thought that...but I think the pinata would be funny. Of course, I fall in the twenty somethings category. So maybe I am bias LOL

I'm sorry I didn't realize those two dips were the same thing. I guess I am not that much help after all LOL

I guess I should have just posted have a great time and be done with it LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#19734 - 09/05/03 11:55 AM
torbetta

That's ok. We were saying we probable have to plan a baby shower in 7 or 8 months after the shower.

I fall into the twenty category too, but only for about two more years. Did I add right? Yup, I did. I thought the piņata would be a blast too. The other bridesmaids are in their thirties and they thought it was cute. We bought fiesta lights with sombreros and cactus and a chili pepper windsock for oriental trading. I know it will look cute when all is said and done. This one is better than my poor sister's shower.

Re: Soy quesadillas - very Southwestern ;) new
      #19843 - 09/07/03 10:43 AM
steather

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

To go along with the Southwestern theme, you guys could have little quesadilla triangles -- those are always a yummy treat, especially when dipped in salsa/guacamole. You could use soy cheese, and if wanted chicken, green chiles, bell pepper, cilantro, etc...mmmm. One recipe I've seen even used Yellowfish tuna instead of chicken...now sometime I'll have to try that.

Have fun at the shower!
-cheme

--------------------
Heather

"Quod me Nutrit me Destruit"

#19845 - 09/07/03 01:20 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I was flipping through Heather's cookbook and I saw a recipe for refried lentil dip. That would be another one to consider. Have fun!

Re: Tess new
      #19903 - 09/08/03 09:45 AM
torbetta

Have you tried this yet. I haven't and I was wondering what it tasted like. I've never really cared for the refried bean texture. Is it like that? Maybe my tastes are changing since I like the black bean dip and the hummus.

Re: Tess new
      #19966 - 09/08/03 06:46 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I haven't tried it, sorry, I tend to collect recipes and never get around to MAKING them! Unfortunately, that includes Heather's book! Sorry--has anyone else out there tried the refried lentil recipe?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 142 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5249

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review