All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For Tess or anyone else
      #18552 - 08/25/03 08:18 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Tess do you have any good recipes using fresh tomatoes? My husband asked me to plant at least 10 tomato plants and I complied and now we have tons of tomatoes.
Also do you know how to dry chilli peppers? Had no idea three plants produce tons of peppers.
Can you tell this is my first garden?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For Tess or anyone else new
      #18555 - 08/25/03 08:50 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

I do have a recipe for a fresh tomato sauce, I'll look to see if I've posted it and get back to you with either a link or the recipe, okay?

#18573 - 08/26/03 05:32 AM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

You could use them to make a salsa. Yum! I'm craving bruschetta!

#18602 - 08/26/03 10:30 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I was going to ask about this too. We counted our tomatoes we picked yesterday to see how many we have. Ready? We picked 90 plum tomatoes. My mom says it won't make much all those tomatoes and not much to show for?

#18611 - 08/26/03 11:30 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - You can semi-oven dry the fresh tomatoes - just cut in half, drizzle with a teeny amount of good olive oil and dash of salt, and put in a 200 degree oven for an hour or two. They'll start to shrivel and it will concentrate their flavors. Then just spread on toasted white bread with some finely shredded fresh basil (or toss with cooked pasta and wee bit more olive oil). You can throw some drained white tuna in there as well, or even serve the tomato mix over grilled fish.

I love this recipe because as the tomatoes start to shrivel up their flavor becomes super intense, and also because they do tend to shrink quite a bit it's a great way to use a bumper crop.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

re: fresh tomato sauce new
      #20142 - 09/09/03 10:35 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Here is the long-awaited fresh tomato sauce...hope you still have tomatoes!

Summer Tomato Sauce

3 pounds ripe tomatoes (at least a quart when chopped)
1 tablespoon fruity green olive oil
2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Scald the tomatoes in boiling water for about 45 seconds and slip off their skins. Trim their stems and process briefly to a somewhat rough texture in a blender or food processor.

Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and add the garlic. Stir it for about a minute, then pour in the tomatoes. Add the basil and a little salt and pepper, and cook the sauce on a medium flame for about half an hour, or a little longer if the tomatoes were very juicy, until reduced by about a third.

You can use the sauce at once or keep it in the refrigerator, covered, for several days. You can also double or triple or quadruple the recipe, just remembering that if you are cooking down a huge pan-full of sauce it will take longer. And you can vary the proportions; it's pretty foolproof if the tomatoes are good. This makes about 2 1/2 to 3 cups of sauce.
--_The New Vegetarian Epicure_

Re: re: fresh tomato sauce new
      #20145 - 09/10/03 03:12 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Thanks Tess for the recipe. I still have tomatoes - too many. I told my husband I'm not planting 10 tomato plants next year.
Barb

Re: re: fresh tomato sauce new
      #20150 - 09/10/03 05:58 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

My husband's aunt said her MIL,(did you understand that?) said to wash the tomatoes and throw them whole in the freezer. Then you can pull out what you need. I finally did that yesterday. I was so proud of myself.

soemhow I missed this first go round... new
      #124587 - 11/22/04 08:47 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

FYI:

roasted tomatoes: yummy- half tomatoes and lay cface up on cookie sheet.. drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with garlic, parsley, basil to taste, and roast- 300 degree oven for an hour or so... WONDERFUL on toast or crachers!

as to peppers- DH and his 300 pepper plants would say dehydrate as rings, can as rings with onion, garlic and pepper in some vinegar (add tomatoes when done for salsa, or leave alone as a spicy relish, add to avocado to make guac...) or puree with tomatoes, and other herbs and use sparingly in addition to recipes- I don't know his whole recipe, but its yummy in moderation added to tomato sauce or to sugar and tomato paste for BBQ...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3444

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review