All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Zucchini Bread - Did I Do Something Wrong?
      #18216 - 08/22/03 03:52 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I just made Sweet Cinnamon Zucchini Bread (page 102 Eating For IBS)...... each loaf is only less then 3/4 inch high. It tastes really good but only about 1/2 inch of bread...the rest is crust??????

I followed the recipe except I used 3/4 c egg beaters (=3 eggs) in place of 6 egg whites. Maybe THAT was the key?

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zucchini Bread - Did I Do Something Wrong? new
      #18220 - 08/22/03 04:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I've used Egg Beaters & never had a problem. Since it was flat, I thought maybe your leavening agent wasn't working. Check your baking powder. According to Leavens at www.foodsubs.com , this is how to test your baking powder:

Baking powder is perishable. To test a batch, add 1 teaspoon to ½ cup hot water. If it doesn't bubble, throw it out.

Maybe this is what happened.

#18223 - 08/22/03 04:43 PM
Shell Marr

It did bubble a little....... but the expiration on the bottom did say "July 2002"...... it went straight to the trash I'll try again this weekend or the 1st of next week..... I have more zucchini still and we can always take it on our trip

Thanks Mags!!

--------------------

#18228 - 08/22/03 05:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yep - it was probably the leavening. Also, make sure you keep baking powder and baking soda in a cool, dry place and that the container is sealed. In other words, do NOT use the baking soda you keep in your fridge for odors to bake with! Disaster...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Zucchini Bread - I Think It Worked This Time new
      #18346 - 08/23/03 08:03 PM
Shell Marr

OK, I think it worked. I got new powder... and my hubby also got me a small food processor...so the zucchini was a breeze! YUMMY!!.......

Thanks for your help Mags & Heather.

--------------------

Re: Zucchini Bread - I Think It Worked This Time new
      #18353 - 08/23/03 09:38 PM
*Melissa*

Glad it worked out for you! I love the zucchini bread! Yum-O!

I will be doing some baking tomorrow. It has finally cooled off some here, so I'm going to stock up while I can. I'll be trying the chocolate applesauce cake. Believe it or not, I still haven't tried that one yet! LOL I also found a recipe for oatmeal pumpkin bread. If it comes out good, I'll post it.

Re:Mags.. new
      #18361 - 08/23/03 10:17 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

... the Chocolate Applesce Cake is sooooooo yummy. I make it a lot and last Christmas I added a little rum to it and it was a big hit with family and friends.

You'll love it,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re:Mags.. new
      #18425 - 08/24/03 05:35 PM
*Melissa*

Delicious! I love this bread - I can't believe I haven't made it sooner. The rum sounds yummy too. How much did you add? Last Christmas I made the apple walnut bread from The First Year - everyone loved that. And it comes out so pretty with the topping. The only problem is when you take it out of the pan, there goes the topping. I started kinda pushing the topping down into the batter before I bake it and also spritzing it with a little cooking spray. That helps some.

Dry After Only 2 Days new
      #18523 - 08/25/03 04:17 PM
Shell Marr

oh, those both sound yummy! I'm gonna have to look for the Applesauce Choc one for the holidays!!

My breads are really dry today?? I just made them 2 days ago, I put them in ziplock bags.....

--------------------

Re: Dry After Only 2 Days new
      #18614 - 08/26/03 11:34 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the breads are all very low fat, which means they'll dry out quickly. Wrap them tightly in saran wrap, then place in a ziploc bag. If you make more than one loaf freeze the extras instead of leaving at room temp. Sometimes I'll actually freeze half of the first loaf right off the bat, if I know we can't eat the whole loaf in the first two days.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9793

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review