All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Re: Dreamy lemon rice pudding new
      #10416 - 06/01/03 05:14 PM
60Perry

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Cambridge, Massachusetts

Heather, I've made Will's Dreamy Lemon Rice Pudding twice now and although the taste is fabulous, I can't get it to be creamy. It separates. I still eat it, but would love a thicker rice pudding. This is my first posting and I'm new at IBS and doing well. Thanks for your help.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#10419 - 06/01/03 05:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Perry - Well, this is not good! Are you using a cooked (not raw) short grain white rice like sticky rice or sushi rice? A long grain rice won't have enough starch in it. Are you bringing the pudding back to a high enough temperature after you add in the tempered egg whites? The whites will cook in the pudding and hold it together.

Are you adding lemon juice or just the zest? Are you whisking it well with a wire whisk as it cooks?

Let me know if any of these ideas sound plausible...we'll get to the bottom of it and get you thick creamy pudding!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#10423 - 06/01/03 06:06 PM
60Perry

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Cambridge, Massachusetts

This is such a great thing your bulletin board does!
Yes, I'm using cooked rice, I think it's short grained but will check for sure. I have been using egg whites from a carton of whites only (not separating a "real" egg to get the whites) and maybe I'm not using the correct amount of whites or something. But I'll try again because I love the flavor. I did use lemon juice as I didn't have a lemon. Wrong?
Thanks for your help.
Perry

#10424 - 06/01/03 06:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'm not familiar with a carton of egg whites only - is this like egg beaters? It sounds like it should work just fine, as long as you're using the equivalent amount the recipe calls for. Using too little might not have the pudding thicken up properly.

But...I think the lemon juice is the culprit. The enzymes can prevent some foods from thickening, and that may be what happened. This is especially true of bottled lemon juice, which virtually always has some other ingredients in it besides pure juice. Try again with just the lemon zest and I think things will work out!

-Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 206 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16058

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review