All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Need recipe fore Rice Pudding
      #1772 - 03/02/03 10:32 AM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

does anyone have a ibs safe recipe for rice pudding?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need recipe fore Rice Pudding new
      #1774 - 03/02/03 10:57 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Angela - If you have Heather's EATING FOR IBS, there's a rice pudding recipe on page 79 and one on page 80. If you don't have the book, post back and I'll type them in.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Dreamy lemon rice pudding new
      #1778 - 03/02/03 11:50 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Here's my favorite recipe. Make sure you use a really big, deep saucepan for this, and temper the egg whites according to the directions or you'll get scrambled eggs in your pudding - yuck!

recipe

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Need recipe fore Rice Pudding:Sharon new
      #1782 - 03/02/03 12:48 PM
ConcreteAngel

Dear Sharon,
Unfortunatly my parents wont let me get heathers book. they think im already "obsessed with ibs" and would question even the board. anyway, its quite alright if you dot type in the rice recipes, i dont want you to go through too much trouble, but if you could, that would be great! thanks Bunches, youll be in my prayers

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#1811 - 03/02/03 09:38 PM
juniorrachel

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: St. Louis, MO

wow, i'm so sorry your parents aren't more understanding about things. if i had the book with me at the moment, i'd type it out for you. i'm sure everyone here will be more than willing to help you out with getting you recipes.

beth

Re: Need recipe fore Rice Pudding new
      #1814 - 03/03/03 02:23 AM
Kimbo

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Hi there - I've just been going through all the latest posts and a couple of yours have really hit home. I know how it feels when people think there's nothing wrong with you. My parents believe that I'm a hypochondriac (spelling?) and/or I'm faking it and/or I'm weak and out of shape. I won't argue the out of shape part (Hahaha!) but I definately do argue the others. The best advice I can give is - don't listen to them. Listen to your body. You are the only person who knows what's going on inside of you. Trust yourself. Oh, and eventually you'll be on your own and won't have to constantly have to defend your lifestyle. This message board is amazing. I hope you'll be able to keep visiting and getting the support you deserve. See you around!

#1816 - 03/03/03 05:44 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

Dear Young Angel (cuz that's what you are!)
Just a thought - would your local library have copies of Heather's books? You could sign them out then - or would your parents freak over that, too? What would happen if they saw the books in your room? Would you get into trouble? In the meantime, remember that we all support you here. Keep posting, and read all the information that there is on these websites. Take care.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Need recipe fore Rice Pudding:han solo new
      #1826 - 03/03/03 01:07 PM
ConcreteAngel

yes, my parents would freak if they saw i had the eating for ibs book. they think ibs is a total head case thing, and wouldnt like it that im reading about it. i just thank goodness that ive got the internet access in my room

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Need recipe fore Rice Pudding:KIMBO new
      #1827 - 03/03/03 01:15 PM
ConcreteAngel

kimbo,
thank you so much for your concern and understanding. it is very difficult to listen to my body and not my parents because at the dinner table i nearly reach tears when i see that greasy hamburger and glass of milk and my parents just roll their eyes and try to convince me that the food will not upset me.the last time i went to the doc i found out i lost 10 pounds and they got so mad at me, but can they blame me? how can i gain weight when i refuse to eat cause im afraid of an attack? mabey i wouldnt have to worry about losing weight if my parents would just accept my ibs and let me eat according to heathers diet plan. :sigh: life is so complicated

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: We are here for you! new
      #1842 - 03/03/03 03:10 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

My heart goes out to you!

Please ask any questions you need answers to and we will all be willing to help.

I agree with what others have said in that you must listen to your body. Yes, you only have one set of parents and your relationship with them is very important but you also only have one life and there is no just reason for living it in pain!

I am lucky my family is very understanding (just forgetful about what I can/can't have at times). I was wondering, is there another family member you are close to that you could get "on side" to help you? Maybe an aunt, cousin, grandparent?

IBS is definately real. I hope you can find some support around you. At the very least you have all of us.

Thinking of you,
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1845 - 03/03/03 03:37 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Loc: Canada

Angel - consider us your IBS family. WE all understand and support you. I assume you were diagnosed with IBS by your Doctor? Yes? What did your Mother say when you were diagnosed? Did your Doc take the time to explain IBS to her? Take care, your "sister" in IBS.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#1870 - 03/04/03 08:40 AM
geekgirl

Reged: 02/28/03
Loc: UK

ConcreteAngel, I don't pretend to know what is going on between you and your parents but reading your posts in this thread got me thinking. You were saying how you felt when they put hamburgers and milk on the dinner table. Do you think that part of their resistance towards your dietary changes is because they are preparing your meals? I could be miles off with this but it just seemed to remind me of when I became vegetarian at the age of 14. For two weeks my mother kept putting meat on my plate and I refused to eat it. After two weeks of that I got so hungry that I gave up (temporarily) on the veggie diet. I spoke to my mother and realised that part of her resistance was due to thinking it was just a fad and that she didn't want to have to prepare a separate meal just for me. Indeed I don't think she would have known what to cook for me as it was an alien concept to her. The solution was to agree to cook my own meals. I wasn't used to cooking back then, so I had to learn fast. And over time the rest of my family got to taste my new meals and realised it was a perfectly valid diet.

I'm now 27 and live away from home. But now when my mum visits she cooks for me happily. It has to be said that my dad isn't terribly supportive of my new diet - he doesn't seem to understand that I have a real problem with eating out - so many restaurants around here put cheese in all their veggie meals *sigh*

Anyway, my point is that parental resistance to dietary changes of any sort, and for any reason, is not unusual. Finding the reason for the resistance was what has helped me. And I learned to cook into the bargain.

Hope that's helpful to you,
geekgirl

Re: Need recipe fore Rice Pudding: See Heather's Post new
      #1871 - 03/04/03 09:21 AM
SharonMello

Angela - Parents can be strange animals sometimes!
Did you check the site heather gave you for one recipe? Here's the other one:

BANANA PECAN BREAKFAST RICE PUDDING

Makes 6 serv.
1 c uncooked rose rice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg, freshly ground if poss.
1/2 c brown sugar
4 c vanilla soy milk
1/4 c pecans, toasted, finely chopped
2 firm ripe bananas, diced

Soak rice in cold water for 30 min and drain. Rinse and drain again. In lg stockpot add rice to all remaining ingredients except pecans and bananas, stirring well. Bring to simmer over med lo heat uncovered and continue to simmer gently, stirring until rice is tender and begins to disintegrate, about 30 min. If pudding becomes too thick add more soy milk as necessary. Cool pudding and fold inn pecans and bananas.

cal 313.81
pro 7.76 g
carb 51.07 g
fat 9.88g
sod 26.96 mg
fiber 4.75g

Good Luck!
Sharon (remember, I'm the one from NJ 30 years ago--near Cherry Hill)

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Dreamy lemon rice pudding new
      #1882 - 03/04/03 11:16 AM
Bern

Reged: 03/04/03

Hi Heather!
I tried making this recipe over the weekend and did something wrong as it came out very dry...not creamy at all.
Do you think I over cooked it? I couldn't find short grain rice so I used long grain..would that matter?
Thanks for your help!
bern

#1883 - 03/04/03 11:27 AM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

I think I used a long grain rice the first time and it was watery. The second time I used the short grain rice and it turned out great. I think the rice might be a factor, but I am not sure why it turned out dry. Did you use enough soy milk? Maybe it did cook too long. Sorry, not a ton of help.

Re: We are here for you!-geekgirl new
      #1887 - 03/04/03 01:01 PM
ConcreteAngel

i have asked my mother if i could make my own meals. sometimes she does, when i beg. otherwise, my parents dont think its fair for me to eat whatever i wanted, and think thats its only moral to eat witht he family, exactly what theyre eating

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#1889 - 03/04/03 01:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - You do need to use short grain white rice - it's much starchier and that contributes to the creaminess. Also, make sure you started with cold cooked rice, and not dry uncooked.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Dreamy lemon rice pudding--yes, short grains are creamier new
      #1900 - 03/04/03 03:21 PM
SharonMello

Hi - I just love Basmati or Arborio rices. THey're so creamy when they're cooked. I usually always use these. Some people don't like the creaminess, but when I'm the cook, I guess I can use whatever I like, right? The longer grain rices tend to be dryer.

I always make my rice in the microwave. I think it comes out more moist than just boiling it on the stovetop. Just my opinion. And, then I don't have a pot to wash either and I can serve it in the dish in which it was cooked.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Dreamy lemon rice pudding--sharon mello new
      #1902 - 03/04/03 03:33 PM
ConcreteAngel

how do you cook rice in the microwave?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

Re: Dreamy lemon rice pudding--sharon mello new
      #1944 - 03/05/03 09:03 AM
SharonMello

Angela - the same as on the stove with ingredients. For instance, 1 cup of rice would take about 2-1/4 c water or broth. No need for butter or fats but you could add some salt. Partially cover the dish (glass preferably) and put a paper towel under the dish because sometimes it boils over. Don't cover the dish tightly or better yet, use a microwave plastic cover--one that goes over the whole dish and rests on the floor of the microwave. That way, the steam can escape and probably won't boil over (don't know why I didn't think of that before!!!Duuuhhhh! Anyway, after 10 min on hi, stop oven and stir rice. Put back on for another 5 or 10 min (depending on how much rice is in there) and then stir and check again. When the liquid is mostly absorbed and the rice tastes done, stop the oven and let it sit in there until you're ready to eat. That way it'll stay warm too. Or take it out after it's done and let it cool before putting in fridge.

When you want some rice just for a snack, take some out of the fridge, put in a microwave save bowl or dish, add a few drops of water (maybe 1/4-1/2 tsp), stir and put in microwave about 30 seconds or until hot. Don't put it in too long or you'll have rice jerky!!

If you need anything else, just post. Good Luck! (I found instant brown rice in the grocery store that's pretty good) and doesn't take very long to cook.

Usually the rice boxes/bags have microwave directions on them.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#10416 - 06/01/03 05:14 PM
60Perry

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Cambridge, Massachusetts

Heather, I've made Will's Dreamy Lemon Rice Pudding twice now and although the taste is fabulous, I can't get it to be creamy. It separates. I still eat it, but would love a thicker rice pudding. This is my first posting and I'm new at IBS and doing well. Thanks for your help.

#10419 - 06/01/03 05:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi Perry - Well, this is not good! Are you using a cooked (not raw) short grain white rice like sticky rice or sushi rice? A long grain rice won't have enough starch in it. Are you bringing the pudding back to a high enough temperature after you add in the tempered egg whites? The whites will cook in the pudding and hold it together.

Are you adding lemon juice or just the zest? Are you whisking it well with a wire whisk as it cooks?

Let me know if any of these ideas sound plausible...we'll get to the bottom of it and get you thick creamy pudding!

- Heather

--------------------

#10423 - 06/01/03 06:06 PM
60Perry

Reged: 06/01/03
Loc: Cambridge, Massachusetts

This is such a great thing your bulletin board does!
Yes, I'm using cooked rice, I think it's short grained but will check for sure. I have been using egg whites from a carton of whites only (not separating a "real" egg to get the whites) and maybe I'm not using the correct amount of whites or something. But I'll try again because I love the flavor. I did use lemon juice as I didn't have a lemon. Wrong?
Thanks for your help.
Perry

#10424 - 06/01/03 06:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I'm not familiar with a carton of egg whites only - is this like egg beaters? It sounds like it should work just fine, as long as you're using the equivalent amount the recipe calls for. Using too little might not have the pudding thicken up properly.

But...I think the lemon juice is the culprit. The enzymes can prevent some foods from thickening, and that may be what happened. This is especially true of bottled lemon juice, which virtually always has some other ingredients in it besides pure juice. Try again with just the lemon zest and I think things will work out!

-Heather

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 384 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15928

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review