All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Kitchen/Cooking Tips
      #17423 - 08/15/03 12:18 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey everyone! I love learning new tips & tricks, especially for cooking. Here's some of mine:

-To easily peel garlic, place cloves in microwave for about 8 seconds. Cloves will slide right out. I love this, because I'm such a klutz I HATE banging cloves with the flat edge of a knife – makes me nervous!

-To get the smell of fresh garlic off your hands, take any stainless steel pan, bowl or kitchen utensil that is stainless and rub your hands on it, in it, or over it. This will remove the garlic smell.

-To easily peel hard-boiled eggs (for the egg whites, of course! ), use a flatware teaspoon to get under the filmy part under shell (I think it's called the membrane) and shell will peel right off.

-To get the most juice out of fresh lemons/limes/oranges, bring to room temperature and roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter before squeezing.

-To ripen most fruit faster, place fruit in a brown paper bag and loosely close. Let sit overnight.

-Keep plastic knives in your flour and sugar canisters to level off measuring cups and spoons.

-HanSolo taught me this one for the breadmaker, but I use it for quick breads & muffins too. I get resealable bags, then when I measure out the dry ingredients for whatever I'm baking, I measure out enough for additional batches. Then next time around, all I have to do is pull out a baggie, sift it out into a bowl, and move on from there.

That's all I can think of for now. Anyone else got any kitchen tips?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Kitchen/Cooking Tips new
      #17435 - 08/15/03 12:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

What a great thread!

My favorite is that I splurged a few years ago on high quality heavy-duty stainless steel measuring cups and spoons. But, I got two complete sets. Now when I bake I have one for dry ingredients and one for wet, so I don't have to stop and wash and dry a used cup or spoon in the middle of a recipe.

Also, I keep knives on a magnetic knife rack that hangs behind the sink. Just wash, don't even dry, and slap on the rack. I love not having to put things away. Which is why...

I hang measuring spoons and cups from little metal cup hooks beneath a kitchen shelf over the stove. They're always right there, don't have to dig through drawers.

For wooden spoons, they can absorb garlic/onion odors. So I have a few that are reserved just for sweets. I painted the tip of the handles with red nail polish to tell them apart.

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17605 - 08/17/03 04:59 PM
*Melissa*

I remembered a really good one today while making chocolate silk pudding:

-Whenever measuring something sticky (honey, molasses, corn syrup), spray your measuring spoon/cup with a spritz of non-stick spray, and it will pour right out of the spoon/cup.

#17606 - 08/17/03 05:05 PM
*Melissa*

Heather - back in December I watched your cooking show on the banana cake on the internet and you mentioned to splurge on the measuring cups & spoons. I got a gift certficate for Kitchen Kapers for my birthday right after and I used part of it to get the spoons & cups. And you were right - it is easier to measure with those style measuring spoons, plus get down into the spice jars. I love them! Thanks for the great tip!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 511 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1577

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review