All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Oh dear... new
      #16990 - 08/11/03 02:38 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

That would be so appreciated. I used to be able to do a quick meal - we never ate gourmet or ethnic food before.

So not only do I not know how the new food is supposed to taste - I do not know the proper way to prepare the food. Or even what half of these foods were.

I have only had to start really cooking more indepth since I was diagnosed.

I can hardly wait for your IBS for Dummies Cookbook. That will be so much more down to my level and hopefully I will be able to learn the gourmet meals later down the road.

I have practically worn out some of the breads etc, but anything more than that is too complicated.

Also - if you could find more common foods. I just want to be able to make a meal with the spices and veggies a regular person has in their fridge. That would be so wonderful LOL.

Thanks Heather,
Maybe we should sign up for a dinner party at your house so we know what these foods are supposed to taste like - then we can go home and try to copy you LOL

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Heather, put me on your order list NOW! new
      #16995 - 08/11/03 02:50 PM
BL

Reged: 06/01/03

I think your idea of a simplier "cookbook" is fantastic. It took me weeks to decide to purchase this one because I was so intimidated by the recipes (the number and kinds of ingredients was a little much for me). For example, I have never broiled an eggplant before, and I made the biggest mess. After the eggplant cooled, I had no idea whether to puree the seeds or to throw them away.
Also, I'm fortunate that I live in a large enough city to be able to find most of the ingredients, but I know many people, such as my mother who lives in a very small town, cannot.
The recipes are delicious, it's just that I rarely have the time (and money) to make gourmet meals. Ideas for throwing a simple meal together with common store-bought items would be wonderful!
Sadly, I have been in the kitchen since this morning trying to put together something for this luncheon tomorrow and have not had a lot of success. I am exhausted, and I feel guilty because one of my sons just asked me what was for dinner. After trying out these new recipes all day and getting the kitchen cleaned up, I am too tired to fix my family something for dinner. So, I guess I will be sending them to the nearest restaurant, or ordering pizza for them. (Who knows what I will eat!) If I could just run to the grocery store, pick up a few items, and fix a quick and SAFE IBS meal, then I'd be happy.
And I'm fortunate that I don't work. What would a working mom with 2 screaming toddlers do if she had IBS and needed to fix something simple, yet safe?
Hurry up with this new "cookbook." I need it NOW!

Okay, okay! new
      #16997 - 08/11/03 02:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

In the meantime, I tried to make all the cooking show recipes very fast and easy, and most (though not all) are non-ethnic too. I had to be able to cook them from start to finish in 20 minutes flat, while talking and walking my way through them on camera, so that means they're only about 10 minutes of real-time effort. All those recipes are here web page

I try to make the newsletter recipes mostly fast and easy as well, with the occasional more elaborate or ethnic option in there (because if I don't, I start to hear from the people who do cook, so it's always a balance).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I Need "Cooking for IBS for Dummies" new
      #16998 - 08/11/03 02:58 PM
Morven

Reged: 07/31/03
Loc: Scotland,UK

I think this sound like the book i need! I've never really had to cook by following a receipe,i tend to stick to the basic stuff i know i can do and are safe at the moment.Am dying to try out the breads in heathers book,but i need to get a blender! Though i am aprehensive about the results!!
Hope your lunch goes well!

--------------------
Morven

#17008 - 08/11/03 05:22 PM
LindaLouise

Reged: 07/20/03
Loc: Toronto, Canada

I bet if you had written the easier cookbook first, you'd have had requests to write the second one from those of us who like to work with more exotic food elements and more unusual combinations. IBS aside, this is truly an amazingly inventive cookbook from someone with an outstanding talent. So I don't think it was a "mistake." I also imagine that by writing a more gourmet book, you were able to establish yourself as a cook of no mean ability, and that would help all of us as you get attention from the public at large for IBS.

Having said that, I think the new book will be something I will use as much as the old, so I'll look forward to it once you have a chance to catch your breath!

Linda

#17019 - 08/12/03 04:55 AM
lovejoy_22

Reged: 02/21/03
Loc: Henderson, NC

It's funny to read these emails because I actually got your book from the library two years before I had my actual diagnosis and thought there is no way that I could give up that much food. I told my husband about the diet when he got home from work one day and we laughed about it. Now you have to realize that at that time I was making alfredo sauce once a week, which meant at least one day of leftovers per week. Cheese was a main source of my daily intake. I could not imagine having to give up my "favorite foods."

Now I have been on the Eating for IBS diet for two years and am for the most part healthier than I have ever been. I too would love to have another cookbook from you. I have made so much out of your cookbook and loved most of them. I have made mistakes, but that is part of cooking. I just want to thank you for caring enough to put your life into this. You have touched the lives of more people than you know.

--------------------
lovejoy_22

Thank you. -nt- new
      #17051 - 08/12/03 10:54 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#17126 - 08/12/03 10:18 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

Heather,

I too love your cookbook! I am waiting on a quick and easy one from you with baited breath! Every time I make a recipe from your book it is a success! Cept my peppermint fudge cake I am going to try that again this weekend and hopefully get it right! You are a gem!
Trish

Re: Looking forward to this next book! :-D ====nt==== new
      #17128 - 08/12/03 10:28 PM
Free2bDee

Reged: 07/22/03

--------------------
~Deborah

#17176 - 08/13/03 11:54 AM
RLU

Reged: 02/04/03
Loc: Jackson, Mississippi

This sounds wonderful, I am a girl on the go, and shopping takes a lot of time due to label reading and then what will I take for lunch, etc. So I would love to be able to have a ready-made list of safe things I can take for lunches snacks, etc. Since I IBS-C I stay away from everything that has casein, dairy, whey, which by the way is almost everything !!!! ughhh I would love to have list of safe store foods!!!!

--------------------
Screen Name: Nan275

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 262 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 29738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review