All Boards >> IBS Recipes

View all threads Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about Garbanzo/fava bean flour
      #16759 - 08/08/03 07:18 PM
Peanut

Reged: 02/09/03
Loc: England

Hello guys. I hope you are all doing good and enjoying the summer.

I just recieved this fun Special Diet cookbook that calls for rice flour (I unfortunately have a rice intolerance!) or I can substitute the rice flour with garbanzo/fava bean flour. My question is, is the garbanzo/fava bean flour IBS safe? I read in the cookbook that people that have a condition called glucose-6-phosphate dehydogenase (G6PD) deficinency should avoid this flour, because fava beans cause digestive problems. I am not sure if us IBSers would be okay with this or should also avoid it. I have never heard of this type of flour before and would love to hear from anyone who has tried it or heard about it. Right after reading that I got online and decided to post on the board.

Thanks for listening,

Sheri

--------------------
So much baking, so little time.....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about Garbanzo/fava bean flour new
      #16766 - 08/08/03 08:40 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

I've used the garbanzo bean flour and find the taste offensive in whatever I use it in. I think you can substitute flours like quinoa, amaranth or even soy (if you can tolerate soy). There's a new flour out called TEFF, grown in Idaho that I've been using, it seems to taste more like wheat. As a side note, what do you think of the book? I've been toying with the idea of getting that one and the Diet Solutions she also wrote. No discounts on Amazon for those though, so I want to be careful when I get them. I have spent a fortune on cookbooks lately.........lol.

#16769 - 08/08/03 09:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I've never seen fava flour, but I have some chickpea (garbanzo bean) flour. It's called besan, the Indian name, and it's used in a lot of Indian recipes. It does have a distinctive flavor so you'd taste it, especially compared to rice flour. But it should be safe for IBS - and the problem some people have with fava beans wouldn't pertain to IBS either. The problem with fava beans shouldn't carry over to garbanzo beans. It's a very specific disorder, and it's genetic.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#16773 - 08/09/03 05:02 AM
Peanut

Thank you Heather and Karin for getting back to me so quickly. I am glad to hear that and will now go on the lookout for the flour which is made by Bob's Red Mill. Thank you for letting me know that I shouldn't have any problems and that was the answer I was looking for.

Karin, I almost bought this book with my amazon voucher in the UK a few days ago (glad I didn't), but wanted a book that was aimed for the UK for when I move. Also there were mixed reviews about the book. When I was able to sit down and look at it (and still haven't gone through the whole book) I was well impressed with some of the recipes. I am going to try and make something from it next weekend and when I do I will let you know how it goes. I know what you mean about buy loads of new cookbooks. I got 4 for my birthday all on cooking without specfic ingredients, but will have to wait until next July to look at them, since they are already at my new home. LOL!!

Sheri

--------------------

#16793 - 08/09/03 10:13 AM
Judithg

Reged: 07/14/03
Loc: California

Hi! I've experimented with bean flours--mostly garbanzo flour. Bob's Red Mill makes a product called All Purpose GF Baking Flour, which is a mix of garbanzo flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, White Sorghum, and Fava Flour. Is this the one you're talking about? I find that this mix is pretty tolerable. But I've also tried some pastas that are primarily made from bean flour, and they cause me a lot of problems with gas and bloating.

I'm interested in the book you mentioned. Who is the author?

Judithg

#16956 - 08/11/03 10:47 AM
Peanut

Thanks for the info and think I will give it a go. Fingers crossed I don't have any problems with bloating. I will let you know after I have tried it.

The author of the book is Carol Fenster, Ph.D and the books is called Special Diet Solutions.

Thanks,

Sheri

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 269 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4324

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review