All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Cookie help
      #15581 - 07/30/03 10:33 AM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

What works best for a margarine substitute for cookies? I tried applesauce but they were all hard and chewy.

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Cookie help new
      #15609 - 07/30/03 11:44 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Have you tried "Smart Balance?" It is a non-hydrogenated butter sub made from olive and canola oils. You can use it in baking. It is quite yummy, actually.

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#15615 - 07/30/03 12:03 PM
Corinne

I'm not sure if I can get that up here but I can check out my health food store. They have a lot of that stuff. Would any non-hydrogenated butter sub work if it's made with olive and canola oils? What about soy oils or whatever they use? Those I can find at my grocery store and cheaper too. I usually try to get the non-hydrogenated margarine. Most of them are made with 100% canola oil. Is that any good? Would that keep the fat content down? Fat is a major trigger for me which is why I tried the applesauce.

Thanks!

--------------------

Re: Cookie help-Heather??? new
      #15628 - 07/30/03 12:28 PM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

Hmm, I buy the Smart Balance at my local grocery. This might be a question for Heather. She usually knows just what to do! Good luck...hope that you have them turnout better next time.

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

#15629 - 07/30/03 12:28 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

My sister, bless her, made chocolate chip cookies with the smart balance and egg whites. We stopped by just to say hi and I got to eat some cookies. They were so good.

Corinne,
She said she found right near the butters at the grocery store.

#15658 - 07/30/03 01:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Any non-hydrogenated margarine (they're usually from soy or canola oils) will work as a sub for butter. But - they're just as high in fat. Cookies are the trickiest thing to try and make IBS safe, as they depend on a LOT of fat for texture. Replacing this fat with applesauce won't work as it does with cakes.

Baking your cookies with the heart-healthy margarines and egg whites instead of yolks will help reduce the triggers, but they'll still be high fat.

There have been some IBS safe cookie recipes posted - do a search and see what you find. There's also one chocolate cookie recipe in Eating for IBS, as a part of the peppermint dream ice cream sandwiches. They're very low fat but delicious.

I'm trying to work up some more safe cookie recipes but they are definitely the toughest dessert to modify.

Check health food stores for Sun Flour brand vegan cookies - they are fabulous, and very low fat. They're even high in soluble fiber! The chocolate chip is fab, so's the lemon.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Cookie help-Heather??? new
      #15753 - 07/31/03 08:15 AM
Corinne

Thanks everyone. Cake is nice and so are brownies but they just aren't as portable as cookies. And since fat is a huge trigger for me (I've never been able to tolerate it well even before my IBS) I'll have to buy them or just not have them. Bummer. I'll see what I can find at the health food store. Thanks. And Heather, if you find a way to make cookies low fat please let me know. I'm not trying to avoid all fat but am trying to reduce it.

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 333 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2089

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review