All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fennel Seed Cookies **needs to be made IBS-friendly!!**
      #13772 - 07/11/03 06:21 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

This needs to be made IBS-friendly. I'm no chef, so I don't know what to sub for what and how much.

NATIONAL HERB WEEK (1995) FENNEL COOKIES
from the International Herb Association

2 cups sugar, divided in half
2 teaspoons fennel seed
1 cup butter, softened **what to sub?**
2 eggs **sub egg whites**
1 T. orange juice
1 T. water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour

Add fennel seed to 1 cup of sugar and blend briefly in blender to break up some of the fennel seed. Some whole seeds should remain. Combine fennel-sugar with remaining cup of plain sugar and butter and blend together. Add eggs, orange juice and water and mix briefly. Mix remaining dry ingredients together, then add to creamed ingredients. Mix
well. This will be a stiff dough.

Divide dough into 4 pieces, making a flattened ball of each. Roll dough out on floured surface until very thin. Cut with cookie cutter and bake on greased ornon-stick cookie sheet until light brown. Makes 75 crisp 2-inch cookies.

Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes

--------------------
~jules

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fennel Seed Cookies **needs to be made IBS-friendly!!** new
      #13773 - 07/11/03 06:34 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Jules,

For butter folks substitute soy butter...or minimal oil with applesauce (do a search for how much applesauce/oil to substitute). Everything else in the recipe should be ok.

Hope this helps!

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#13779 - 07/11/03 07:00 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Thanks!!

--------------------
~jules

Re: Fennel Seed Cookies (Question about using soy butter) new
      #13797 - 07/11/03 10:27 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Can you shed some light on soy butter? I've never used it (soy sensitive) and usually shy away from all sat fats especially in baking unless I can sub with applesauce, apple butter, or prune puree. Need to know: Fat content, other ingredients, how firm when cold. etc.?? You may have just solved my dilemma. I am CRAVING old fashioned ice box (refrigerator) cookies and because the dough needs to be chilled to get very firm to slice you need something that is IBS friendly yet will firm up when cold. Believe it or not I was actually thinking of doing a lot of experimenting...possibly even with unflavored gelatin and water enough to set the gelatin up firmly then flavored with a little peanut butter, but then when thinking about it the gelatin may inhibit the leavening ingredient from working and then the cookies wouldn't rise at all, even the mimimal bit that they usually do. Kandee

--------------------

#13798 - 07/11/03 10:30 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Ruchie's right to sub soy butter for the dairy, but that will still leave the fat content way too high (one cup of ANY fat is a ton). Try subbing 2/3 - 3/4 of the fat with applesauce. Honestly, this will probably significantly change the texture of the cookies. Solid fat (butter, shortening) is very difficult to replace in cookie recipes because it's so crucial for the crispy/chewy texture.

Sometimes replacing some of the sugar with corn syrup can help. But you're really getting into food chemistry here, and the results from experimenting can be unpredictable.

You might want to start with cookie recipes from a low fat source - those tend to be easier to modify.

Darn cookies anyway - they're the one dessert that's just so hard to fix!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Fennel Seed Cookies (Question about using soy butter) new
      #13799 - 07/11/03 10:36 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - there are lots of soy (and rice!) butters out there. Some are as high fat as butter, and can be used interchangeably. Some are a bit lower, and only meant for baking, not frying. Best thing to do is find a health food store with a good variety and check the labels.

As you'll see in my note to Ruchie in this thread, replacing enough of the solid fat in cookies is tough - really tough. They're the one dessert that really depends on solid fat for texture.

It sounds like you're up for some kitchen experimenting, so if you can get your hand on some specialty ingredients like guar or xantham gum (in bulk spice sections, especially at health food stores), get a hold of some low fat and/or vegan cookie recipes for a starting point. The best results will come from combining the low fat traditional ingredients (white flour, white sugar) with the vegan ways of replacing dairy and eggs (here's where the gums come in). It is possible to do this well - I've had delicious examples, but I don't have recipes and I've never played around myself.

Read the intros in the low fat and vegan cookbooks - they'll give you a great idea of what the different ingredients can do (corn syrup can give a chewy texture, the gums can help bind and give a chewy texture, combined with some oil that will give you crispiness, etc.)

Hope this helps - cookies really shouldn't be this complicated!

Oh - and there is one IBS safe recipe for cookies in Eating for IBS with the peppermint ice dream sandwiches. They're ice box cookies, and they are really good.

Also, there's a sugar cookie on the boards someone just posted - do a search.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Fennel Seed Cookies and MORE QUESTIONS new
      #13819 - 07/11/03 03:34 PM
Kandee

Thanks so much Heather for the soy (or rice) butter info. I suspected the fat content was high in most of them. (May have even seen them and passed them up because of it.)

You are so right. Solid fat is the one thing that makes a cookie a cookie…………tasty and tender with a holding quality. Case in point is making totally fat free oatmeal cookies. Yuck, they end up tasting like cardboard hockey pucks.

I keep xanthum gum and guar gum around all the time (bought in bulk). Since I've been allergic to wheat for over 23 years (but not gluten) I use a lot of substitutes in baking; rice, tapioca, barley, oat, corn, buckwheat and potato flours to mention some. I can tolerate spelt or kamut which acts, and tastes the most like wheat flours. In fact they are wheats, just old world ones without the extra enzymes that cause most wheat allergies. White spelt is my favorite. When using all of these alternatives to wheat the gluten and leavening qualities have to be bumped up. That's were the xanthum and guar gum comes in. They are wonderful, and I'm still learning the best amounts for what……not going by packaging label recommendations. I didn't give much thought to the gums when I mentioned using gelatin in the cookie recipe. Was just thinking about something that stiffens up when cold, like butter, but was fat free. Come to think of it our powdered soluble fibers like Citrucel do that. Chia seed will do that as well, and was called the American Indian's Jell-O. But, I doubt any of those would stand up to oven heat without breaking down.

When I'm in a hurry I buy health food, low to no fat, wheat free cookies. I also avoid fructose sweetened cookies, and of course no dairy or whole eggs. Some are good but sometimes you just want homemade. As a chocoholic I have to admit, Sharon Mello's ff brownies, and Peanut's Hot fudge brownies are my favorite. Even made with a wheat alternative flour mix (my own) plus "gums" they're terrific.

Can you shed some light on WHY honey is considered to be in the fructose category? From what I've read if you are fructose sensitive, and according to one study 73% of IBS sufferers are, then honey should be avoided like HFCS for fructose sensitive individuals. You mentioned DARK corn syrup having less fructose than light. Is it significant enough to replace all those recipes calling for light with dark?

I made the sugar cookie recipe posted recently you mentioned. (My reply is there.) Looked up your cookie recipe for the peppermint ice cream sandwiches (sounds great) and they just may work if the cookie dough is frozen in a roll and sliced before baking. It can't hurt to try. Noticed you used Crème de Menthe in the recipe. Want me to post an EXTREMELY easy recipe for homemade Crème de Menthe? I've been making it for over 20 years (wouldn't if it wasn't easy) and it IS IBS friendly, unless someone can't tolerate even a small amount of alcohol.

Have a good weekend……………………Sorry, I ddn't mean to get off into a couple different directions here, but needed to ask.

Kandee, (One who's NOT baking this weekend as temps are around 115 degrees now)

--------------------

Re: Fennel Seed Cookies and MORE QUESTIONS new
      #13821 - 07/11/03 04:08 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - I'm so impressed you have the gums already! Wanna come over to my house and bake some cookes?

I've been meaning to play with the gums after buying some Sun Flour Vegan Cookies. They are unbelievable - almost fat free, no triggers, and the chocolate chip flavor is to die for. Lemon ain't bad either. I don't know how they do it. There's even soluble fiber in them!

Honey gets 40% of its sugar from fructose, so that's why it's lumped into that category. I'm not sure if you'd be completely intolerant to it if you're just eating small quantities (like on toast).

For the corn syrup, I'm not sure how much (if any) of the sugar in natural corn syrup is from fructose at all. I use the dark version because the light variety actually adds high fructose corn syrup to the ingredients. The dark doesn't. I use only the dark variety, and have never had a problem (with recipe results or IBS attacks). But, I'm also not fructose intolerant aside from the usual IBS sensitivity to it.

There's actually no creme de menthe in the cookies, it's in the ice cream. But I'd love your recipe for the homemade liqueur - I really like to use liqueurs in desserts. If you post that, you might note that it's for cooking or baking with (and not drinking straight shots on an empty stomach!).

Best,
Heather

--------------------

Re: Fennel Seed Cookies . Thanks new
      #13836 - 07/11/03 10:25 PM
Kandee

Would love to go to Seattle or you come to So Cal (AKA "Shake and Bake" country) and we'll set up an experimental cookie lab….with lots of hot peppermint tea brewing to wash all those test samples down!!!! Might have to do some Power Yoga afterwards to handle the extra calories!!!! (grinning)

Will try the Sun Flour cookie line when I see them. My current favorite is Mi-Del Gluten Free Ginger Snaps:

http://www.ans-natural.com/midel.htm

And if I want to bake something fool proof, I like the Gluten-free Pantry products like the Chocolate Truffle Brownie mix made with a prune puree sub for the fat or oil:

http://www.glutenfree.com/glu/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Product_ID=30&CATID=1

Thanks for the info on honey. Before I was diagnosed properly with IBS I thought I might have an intestinal infection and paid the high price Manuka honey commands only to have it not do a thing but make me ill. Probably best I stay away from any honey types it if possible.

Yes, I realized your Crème de Menthe was for the ice cream. Will post the recipe for anyone interested and follow your suggestions for the post.

Again, thanks for your prompt replies and care and concern for all of us. Kandee

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9522

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review