All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
IBS AND Celiac...any recipes
      #13770 - 07/11/03 05:52 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Now that I can't eat pasta, bread, and many other carbs I was eating on just the IBS diet, I'm looking for ideas. I eat rice cakes, potatoes, and rice pasta right now. I'm also trying to not to eat foods sky in fat--I'm having IBS attacks now (I had added dairy back in...and peanut butter...TOO MUCH FAT!), so I have to be careful.

I can't eat eggs or corn...so I'm unable to make gluten free bread.

I want to make sure I get the nutrtion I need while staying with the IBS/Gluten free diet. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone...happy Friday!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Are all types of wheat forbidden? new
      #14009 - 07/14/03 05:57 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hi Ruchie,

Man, that's tough. I don't envy you. I'm not really up on my grains, so I don't know if wheat berries are out. I presume they are. Can you eat spelt? Frankly, I'm having trouble finding spelt grains - I can find the flour everywhere though. Is tabouleh out too?

I made eggplant borani last week and people seemed to like it. Can you do soy yogurt?

How's your walking going? I always think about you on my walks now. No matter what I do, I can't seem to lop any time off my loop. It sounds like you've had a bit of a set-back healthwise. Hope it gets easier.

sperry_twiggins

Re: IBS AND Celiac...any recipes new
      #14202 - 07/16/03 11:00 AM
cloudygirl

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Washington

Hi Ruchie,
Check out Celiac.com I found it has some great recipes. And I don't think they'd be hard to make more IBS friendly. Good luck.

Cloudygirl

Re: Are all types of wheat forbidden? new
      #14203 - 07/16/03 11:07 AM
Snow for Sarala

Hey there!!

Yep, all types of wheat are forbidden. I'm doing the gluten challenge now...that means eating tons of gluten to get tested for celiac to find out if gluten is in fact the problem. I'll let you know how it goes!

I'm not doing my walks anymore. I got bored with them! For now, I am fighting bronchitus, so I'm not doing much. I plan to do cross training...walks, rowing machine, jump rope, etc. This way I won't get bored, I hope! Have you gone camping yet? How's the weather?

I hope you're having a terrific summer! Thanks so much for writing and for your concern! You're SO thoughftul!

*big hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#14204 - 07/16/03 11:09 AM
Snow for Sarala

Cloudygirl!

Do you have Celiac or wheat intolerance? How'd you find out about the webcite?

Celiac.com is great! Thanks for the suggestion! Have you heard of delphiforums? They're wonderful as well!

Thanks again for the suggestion!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Are all types of wheat forbidden? new
      #14299 - 07/17/03 02:02 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Good luck on your challenge. It sounds scary to me to load up on a potential health threat, but I guess they know what they're doing! :-)

As for camping, We have a short backpacking trip scheduled in 2 weeks, but I'm worried because I haven't been doing much training for it. Too much kayaking and bicycling this summer! The trouble is to find a trail that's flattish but not too overcrowded.

Are your walks still boring with a radio or CD player? I find I don't get nearly as bored on the stairclimber when I have some very hot salsa music in my ears.

sperry_twiggins

#14315 - 07/17/03 10:49 PM
cloudygirl

Hi Ruchie,
I'm not sure if I'm intollerant to wheat or gluten. When I can afford it I'm going to get tested. I know corn bothers me, and I'm not 100% sure about gluten. I ran across the website while searching for info on celiac and other food allergies.
I'm glad you like the site, I do too.
Thanks for the infor on the delphiforums, I'll check it out.
Good luck
Cloudygirl

Decent tasting rice pasta new
      #17312 - 08/14/03 06:36 PM
Dave

Reged: 04/22/03
Loc: Tampa, FL

I see you eat rice pasta. Wheat is nearly entirely out of my diet except for very small portions at times. I greatly miss spagetti. I've tried many brands of rice pasta in the eastern and health food stores here in Tampa but I haven't found one that either tastes good or comes out reasonably similar to wheat pasta. Do you have any favorite brands to suggest?

#17326 - 08/14/03 09:18 PM
cloudygirl

Hi Ruchie,
There are two really great author's who have cook books with recipes for Celiac, and other food allergies. They are Carol Fenster,Ph.D. and Bette Hagman. I like Carol Fenster better,because you can avoid eggs, corn and still bake safe breads. I have not tried all of her recipes yet. Visit the library, they can help you find these two author's books.
Good luck
Cloudygirl

Dave, your picture isn't showing up.... new
      #17333 - 08/14/03 11:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

If you email it to me at heatherandcompany@yahoo.com I'll post it for you.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Dave new
      #17344 - 08/15/03 04:26 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Dave two ideas for you.
First if you like squash - buy a spagetti squash. Cut it in half and bake it for 30-40 minutes in the oven. The cook squash looks like spagetti noodles.
If you can eat corn try corn noodles. The corn noodles are very yummy.
Hope this helps.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 501 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4282

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review