All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question for Heather
      #13266 - 07/06/03 11:11 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me how to substitute butter for oil in a recipe. For example a recipe I saw asks for 150gms of butter (not sure what that is in ounces) but I would like to substitute because of the fat content and how do you work out the replacement for whole eggs, for example if a recipe asks for 2 whole eggs how many egg whites is that?

Thanks for your help!
Trish

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question for Heather new
      #13268 - 07/06/03 11:49 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Trish,
I know you directed this question to Heather and she might have a better answer for you but I thought I'd tell you what I have learnt.

1 egg is replaced by 2 egg whites, 2 eggs by 4 egg whites(so double it basically)

As far as butter goes I don't know whether it is a baking recipe or main meal you are making.

If it's cakes etc, I would substitute 2T canola oil and 5-6T applesauce for the 150g butter. As a rule I use 1-2 T canola oil for texture and the rest apple sauce. 1T is about 20g. I do it this way all the time and it always works.

As for main meals I always just sautee onions, chicken etc (whatever the reipe calls for) in 1T olive oil regardless of how much butter they ask for.

If you tell me more about the recipe I could probably help you. I've tried and converted heaps of recipes now and have a pretty good idea of what works and what doesn't.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#13405 - 07/07/03 04:57 PM
Trish

Kerrie,

Thanks for your answer. It is a cake I am going to try to make. Do you know any substitutes for sour cream?

How are you going with everything?

Trish

#13414 - 07/07/03 08:13 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

In baking, whatever you do, don't use soy sour cream in place of dairy sour cream. From what I understand it isn't "sour" enough to react with the baking soda (or other leavener) and make the cake rise. If you can find plain soy yogurt that might work.

#13417 - 07/07/03 08:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

You can drain plain soy yogurt in a paper towel or cheesecloth lined strainer overnight (place over bowl in fridge). A lot of liquid will drain out, and the yogurt will thicken up. Works great in place of sour cream!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Thanks Heather NT new
      #13419 - 07/07/03 09:12 PM
Trish

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 176 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2994

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review