All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Home-Dried Banana Chips
      #132 - 01/30/03 05:38 AM
pamk

Reged: 01/29/03

Has anyone tried the dried banana recipe on page 69 of Heather's book? I'm not sure if I'm cooking them correctly. They never seem like they are quite done when I take them out of the oven and I don't know if I need to store them in the fridge or cupboard.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Home-Dried Banana Chips new
      #133 - 01/30/03 06:01 AM
Ron

Reged: 01/25/03

I tried to make the dried banana and they did not turn out in a food dehydrator. and they turned black can some one HELP.

--------------------
Therefore,my beloved brethren, be steadfast, unmovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord,

#161 - 01/30/03 11:49 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I have heard from other folks who don't have the dried bananas turn out either, and I'm stumped. I've had great luck with these in the oven and even better results from a deyhdrator. My mom has made them for years, too.

They turn a medium brown color but not black, and they end up dry but still very chewy. Are you slicing the bananas thin enough? If they're too thick they might take too long to dry... Other than that I need some ideas from other people to figure this one out.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#196 - 01/30/03 05:30 PM
pamk

Reged: 01/29/03

I've tried splitting them up the middle and drying them in wedge sections. Is this the correct method?

#206 - 01/30/03 06:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

I've split them into the three wedges and oven dried them and it's worked great. This is a lot less work than slicing them. I wish I knew why people are having trouble with this!

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#12401 - 06/24/03 12:04 PM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Ya know, I had trouble with this recipe myself.

Unless I made them correctly and just didn't know it. I'm used to the unsweetened banana chips that I get (or used to get) from my local health food store.

Anyway, I dried them in the oven for four+ hours and they came out kinda chewy, brownish in color, but not completely dry. They were sticky still. I had to go to bed, so I just tossed them in the trash cuz I couldn't leave the oven on any longer.

--------------------
~jules

#12424 - 06/24/03 05:15 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Sorry, I don't do homemade ones. This is the way I get mine. Take a look:

http://www.justtomatoes.com/html/product/banana1.html

After so many years of trial and error at certain things (a lot of them flops) I've learned that sometimes it is worth it to pay for convenience.
Now if they ship out of the states, that I don't know.

Kandee

--------------------

#15261 - 07/28/03 04:56 PM
ladydaisy

Reged: 07/03/03
Loc: maryland, u.s.a.

i'm not having any luck with this recipe either. i tried breaking the bananas into their "natural" wedges, put them on a lighty greased cookie sheet, and left them in the oven for about 4 hours at 200°F. what came out were blackish-brown, shriveled up, and smelly pieces. does anyone else have any suggestions?

--------------------
"Only the strongest are put through the fire..."
~Quote from the novel "Archangel" by Sharon Shinn

#15272 - 07/28/03 05:17 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I've never tried this recipe, because it just seems to cause everyone grief. (sorry Heather )

#15278 - 07/28/03 05:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Yeah, I don't know what to say. They've always worked for me, and my mom has made them for years, and the mom of one of Will's friends. Why they turn out for us but not others is mystifying. My guess is that home ovens are varying somehow in their true temperature, or maybe it's the humidity of where a person is - I'm truly not sure.

- H

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4892

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review