All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
High Fructose Corn Syrup
      #12782 - 06/29/03 07:11 PM
catzlady4

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: LongI sland,NY

Alot of products in the supermarket have high fructose corn syrup. Graham crackers,certain cereals like Rice Krispies, Cool Whip etc. Are we allowed high fructose corn syrup in small quantities? Also is corn syrup different from high fructose corn syrup? Thamks for the help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup new
      #12783 - 06/29/03 07:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - In small quantities (and especially with the soluble fiber basis you'd get from the cereals or grahams) it should be just fine. Some people actually have a fructose intolerance, which is something different than IBS but folks can also have both.

Corn syrup has a much lower fructose content than high fructose corn syrup. The high fructose version is basically a very cheap sweetener (cheaper than sucrose, which is plain table sugar, white or brown). That's why it's so common in commercial foods like soft drinks, cookies, crackers, etc.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#12785 - 06/29/03 07:18 PM
catzlady4

Reged: 04/26/03
Loc: LongI sland,NY

Is it better to buy cookies etc. from the health food store?
Thanks for the quick reply!

#12787 - 06/29/03 07:24 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

This is why I try to avoid high-fructose corn syrup in foods I buy: web page

#12788 - 06/29/03 07:25 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Yeah, in general you'll find better options. Just watch the fat content, and dairy too. I've recently discovered Sun Flour Baking Company vegan cookies. They're delicious, and super low fat, and all good ingredients. I was shocked by how good they are! They only come in one big cookie size, but it's a good four servings or so from that cookie.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Great info - thank you! -nt- new
      #12789 - 06/29/03 07:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup-Heather(&anyone who has tried these), Smuckers Jam new
      #12956 - 07/01/03 11:13 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Heather,

I have read this thread with both interest and dismay. In Australia we do have limited seedless jam available - no raspberry or strawberry.

I have printed recipes from the recipe board that call for these and was excited when a friend offered to bring me some back from the US. Unfortunately when I read the label it contains HFCS. Now I'm scared to use it. One recipe in particular (raspberry balsamic chicken) calls for 1/2c to be used.

I feel terrible that my friend went to the trouble of bringing me four jars of it if I don't use it but I don't want to risk triggering the IBS.

Now I'm not sure whether to try it or bin it? What do you think?

I'm fine with aussie jams but they don't list HFCS as an ingredient they just say sugar. I don't know if that is because we don't have HFCS here or if it is because they just say sugar and don't be specific about what kind.

Anyone who has tried these particular jams, I'd love to hear from you too about how you tolerated them. They are Smuckers jams: red raspberry, black raspberry, strawberry (all seedless).

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: High Fructose Corn Syrup-Heather(&anyone who has tried these), Smuckers Jam new
      #12990 - 07/02/03 09:06 AM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Unless you're super-sensitive to fructose (Angela has mentioned that this applies to her), enjoy the jams! The reason US manufacturers use HFCS is because it's cheap--jams from other countries (I like Vavel brand, which is imported from somewhere or other) really do contain sugar (if they contained HFCS they'd have to say so). It's not a health food--see the Dr. Weil link I posted--but it won't kill you--it shouldn't even be an IBS trigger unless you're super-sensitive. So, enjoy!

#13059 - 07/02/03 10:30 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Thanks,

You've given me the courage to try it. I'll let you know how I go.

Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#13121 - 07/03/03 05:29 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

I can't find any seedless jam here. I'd like to use Kraft and Smucker but I'm scared it'll make me sick.

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 85 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4279

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review