All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
s'mores
      #12555 - 06/26/03 10:01 AM
LLL

Reged: 01/30/03

I'm going camping this weekend and I just can't decide if this campfire tradition would be a safe dessert or not. I know graham crackers are safe. I figure a marshmallow would be safe since they're in Rice Krispy squares and pose no problem. Chocolate's okay in small quantities. As a combination, though, I'm not sure I want to take the chance. Has anyone tried this? What do you think?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: s'mores new
      #12567 - 06/26/03 11:09 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - The solid chocolate should be the only trigger (unless you're really sensitive to the fructose in the marshmallows - but if you're okay with rice krispie treats then don't worry about this). You can use just a bit of chocolate - maybe a piece in the center so when it melts you can smush it out the sides. Also, dark chocolate tends to be a bit lower in fat, and it will avoid the dairy that's in milk chocolate too.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: s'mores new
      #12584 - 06/26/03 12:45 PM
LLL

Reged: 01/30/03

Thank you Heather. Just needed some reassurance.
I'm also taking some So Soya (it travels well). I haven't seen anyone talking about this stuff on the boards, but I buy it from Canada by the case. Once you soak and cook, it has the consistency of chicken. Have you heard of Mac 'N Chreese? Those Chreese products are pretty tasty, too. So, if anyone else is going camping, know that you can have mac 'n cheese with chicken nuggets and s'mores. I sound (/eat)like a kid! Unbelievable, considering there was a time I thought I'd never eat anything other than rice again.

This is great for children! new
      #12589 - 06/26/03 01:31 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I haven't heard of So Soya or Chreese - maybe they're just Canadian? Hope not - they sound great. I get a lot of requests from parents who have kids with IBS and are looking for child-friendly foods - these things sound perfect!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

macaroni and Chreese new
      #12623 - 06/26/03 08:29 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

They sound great...but I've eaten the macaroni and "Chreese" and thought it was terrible. I like nutritional yeast just fine--I even grew up eating it on popcorn--but it doesn't taste like cheese any more than carob does like chocolate. So if you're feeding a kid who has eaten real dairy cheese before, s/he might be as unconvinced as I was. In that case you'd be better off making mac'n'cheese with soy cheese....

Re: s'mores.chreese and chocoloate new
      #12634 - 06/26/03 11:06 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

i use carob a lot instead of chocolate. you can find it in morsels at most health food stores.

i have tried the alfredo chreese and it was beyond nasty. i have't tried th plain chreese though i do have some a la cheese wiz style at home. i do want to warn you if you buy it in a box with maccroni that the maccoroni is whole wheat pasta, so use a different, wheatless, pasta with the sauce. the sauce can also be bought in small packages that just need water.

try looking at www.pangeaveg.com and www.differentdaisy.com for lots of cheese, meat, chocolate, etc. substitute. they are really friendly and will answer your questions...plus have a TON of vegan chocolate (though be careful what you buy sinc eit might melt in the summer). i get a lot of goodies from them all the time.

good luck!

amy

Re: macaroni and Chreese new
      #13128 - 07/03/03 08:05 PM
Corinne

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

I've never had success with mac and cheese using soy cheese. Am I doing something wrong? This is one of my comfort foods that I miss terribly. Maybe some one can help?

--------------------
If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 95 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2630

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review