All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE
      #1254 - 02/23/03 07:13 AM
SharonMello

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Groveland, CA

Hi all - I've been looking for this old recipe because I thought how good it would be for IBSers. It freezes really well, too.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

9 tbsp cocoa powder
3 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
3 cups sugar (I use less)
4 egg beaters or 8 egg whites
1 cup applesauce
1/2 cup pureed prunes (Gerbers baby food) (if you can't get prunes, use all applesauce)
3 cups grated peeled zucchini
1 cup walnuts (or any other nuts chopped very fine) optional

1. Sift all dry ingredients together
2. In large bowl, beat egg beaters or whites till light.
3. Gradually add sugar, applesauce/prunes, chocolate and dry ingredients, zucchini and nuts.
4. Great and flour tube pan or bundt pan. Pour batter in and bake at 350 for 1-1/2 hrs or till done (stick cake tester in center and if it comes out clean, it's done).

This cake is very moist and doesn't need any frosting.

Enjoy.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon
"Anything Chocolate"...that is all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE new
      #1269 - 02/23/03 02:16 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Sharon,
Thanks so much for all these great recipes. I can't wait to try them!
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#1288 - 02/23/03 04:26 PM
SharonMello

Kerrie - No problem. I have lots more to post. It's been so beautiful here I've been planting lambs ears (it's a plant whose leaves are very fuzzy and soft and they get lovely lavender tall flowers all summer. The deer won't eat them, the frost doesn't bother them and they stay green all year--hot or cold. We have a lot of property so I'm going to be busy for a long time.

Any time you need a recipe for anything, I'll try to help. My store is vast!!!

--------------------
Sharon

#1296 - 02/23/03 06:46 PM
Trish

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Australia

Since I have been following the IBS diet, I have been eating cake (in Heathers books) and enjoying it I must say, but I have never eaten much sugar in my diet until now with the cakes, do you think this might be stopping me from loosing weight?

Are there any alternatives to the sugar?

#1303 - 02/23/03 07:25 PM
Trish

Sharon,

Do you have any enchillada recipes? I want to make it for dinner tonight (it is Monday afternoon here in OZ)

#1324 - 02/24/03 08:26 AM
SharonMello

Trish - no I don't but someone posted one back some time. Just go back on the board to previous pages and you should see it in a title--I think it was a casserole...not sure.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#1432 - 02/25/03 03:18 PM
Trish

Sharon,

How much sugar do you use in this recipe? Three cups seems an awful lot!

Trish

#1437 - 02/25/03 10:41 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Sharon,
I too would be interested in your reply. I was tempted to bake it with just one cup of sugar but thought I should check.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE w/Less Sugar new
      #1457 - 02/26/03 12:45 PM
SharonMello

Trish - I use about 1 cup because I don't like it that sweet but it does make a large cake. Try it w/half the sugar and then you can adjust from there. Good Luck.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE w/Less Sugar new
      #1458 - 02/26/03 12:47 PM
SharonMello

Kin...I just posted that I use about 1 cup because I don't like it really sweet. Try it w/half the sugar and then go from there the next time you bake it. Good Luck.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE & sugar & weight gain new
      #1460 - 02/26/03 12:53 PM
SharonMello

Trish - Just how much cake and sugar are you eating, young lady?????? Yes, portion size has a lot to do w/it and then you can trim down the amt of sugar you put in your cakes. The store bought ones are loaded because they're sooooooooooo.... sweet--too sweet for me. That's why I prefer to bake them myself. Then I figure out the WW points--or calories--and try to cut the pieces smaller than what the recipe says the serving size is. For instance, Heather's Peppermint Fudge Cake, I believe, says 12 servings and I cut it into 16. I wrap each pc separately and put them all in a zip top bag and toss them in the freezer. That way, I'm not tempted to eat 2 or 3 in one day. I pull one pc from the freezer, let it defrost and then plan when I'm going to eat it. (Sometimes, when I'm desperate, I put it in the microwave to defrost but it somehow changes the consistency so I'd rather just let it defrost naturally!) Let me know about the sugar consumption..okay?
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

#1481 - 02/26/03 02:10 PM
Trish

Sharon, I was eating hardly any sugar but I did eat a lot of chocolate etc I know this is full of sugar, but I wasn't eating cakes before I started the diet. Since starting the diet, I have cut out completely any junk food, candy (we call them lollies in Australia), potato chips, take away etc. Now, I eat home made meals but I think I am eating too much for example with enchiladas I will eat two and a half cos I am starving! Even though they only have refried beans in them (nearly fat free ones), I am having soy cheese with them and taco sauce. Most of this stuff is nearly fat free. I was making Heather's breads (lemon, Pumpkin spice and the one with lime in it. I was eating these most every day (a few slices a day), but recently haven't been eating them at all. I made the very yummy fallen pecan one in her book and admit I did eat most of that over a few days. So, I am guessing I am eating too much? I have always had problems with my weight and really started loosing it at the beginning of the IBS diet which was around 2 months ago, but have slowed right down. I am not exercising either. But, I feel so much better! My skin is clear and I am not nearly as tired anymore. I am a single mother with one 17 yr old at home and I work fulltime outside of the home (and fulltime inside too LOL). I have stabilised so much and haven't had an attack for ages. Can you give me some advice on how to start to get my sluggish metabolism moving and also eat nice stuff but low fat?
Thanks
Trish

#1544 - 02/27/03 08:07 AM
SharonMello

Trish - you sound like me--I love sweets and they are my downfall. It's difficult to train yourself to eat in moderation because everything tastes so good. But, as my Wt Watchers Leader says...you only taste it while it's in your mouth. So savor the flavor while you're chewing it and chew it as long as you can so the flavor can last.

But I think the most important thing is portion control. That's been one of my hardest to control. This is what I do. My husband and I sit at the kitchen/dining room counter and eat our meals because it's only the 2 of us. We could sit at the dining room table but it's so big, the two of us get lost there. Anyway, when I serve our food, I DO NOT PUT THE WHOLE CASSEROLE OR PLATE OF FOOD after it's been served in front of you. Measure your portions, put it on your plate and know that when you've finished eating it, you shouldn't take any more. With the remainder of the casserole or serving plate is not within arm's reach, the desire to eat more diminishes. For instance, for me I dish up a 1/2 cup of pasta or rice (it doesn't seem like much but it is) and then 1 cup (or whatever the serving size is) of topping on top. By the time it spreads out, it will fill the whole plate and is really a lot of food. Your stomach doesn't tell your brain that it's full until about 20 minutes after you stop eating. So, don't eat until you feel full because then you've eaten too much.

It's rather difficult to explain if you're not familiar with WW (Wt Watchers) but I'll try. According to how much you weigh, you're assigned a points range. For instance, if you weigh 150 to 174 lbs, your point range for foods to eat per day is 20-25. That includes main meals, snacks, drinks--everything. So the key is to know the point value of foods. WW has books that tell you this. They even have books for eating out with restaurant names and foods they serve including ethnic eateries and fast food (which I stay away from...much too tempting since I lived on McD's chicken nuggets and fries and turned into a big MommaLuke!)

I can give you some guidelines on a few things, tho.
1. Plan your meals for the day in your head or on paper.
2. Don't starve yourself because your body will go into starvation mode and start to conserve body fat.
3. Do physical activity. From gardening to running, it's all exercise. Gardening is considered moderate. In WW, activity is measured in points, depending upon the strenuousness of it and duration. For the amount of time you spend doing an activity and the severity of it, you get to "bank" points (i.e. gardening for 2 hours equals 6 points: 1 pt for each 20 minutes spent doing it). So I can deduct 6 points from my daily total used. It does get complicated but once you're used to it, it's not so bad.
4. Keep a daily diary of what you've eaten and the pt value. The people who don't keep a diary aren't as successful as those who do. After a while, it becomes a habit. I've been doing it for a year and a half.
5. Weigh yourself only once a week, preferably at the same time of day on the same day of the week. Usually when you first get up is the best time.

There's much more I could tell you if you wanted to know. Just post and I'll answer.

Good Luck.

--------------------
Sharon

#1557 - 02/27/03 11:01 AM
ladysys

Reged: 02/26/03

This sounds wonderful! Thanks.

#1592 - 02/27/03 04:19 PM
Trish

Thanks Sharon, makes sense. Can you post some weight watchers IBS friendly recipes?

Re: Watch for IBS revised Wt Watchers Recipes new
      #1593 - 02/27/03 04:40 PM
SharonMello

Hi - Yes, I'll post some but give me a few days to get them together and to type them. Thanks for asking.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Thanks Sharon new
      #1599 - 02/27/03 05:34 PM
Trish

Thanks Sharon, you are the recipe Godess!

Re: Find them today 2/28 new
      #1636 - 02/28/03 09:13 AM
SharonMello

Trish - I'm getting ready to post some WW recipes this morning. They're the ones I've already tried.
Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Re: Find them today 2/28 new
      #1784 - 03/02/03 01:41 PM
Trish

Thanks Sharon, I just got on this morning (it is Monday here) and I am copying them all. YUM!!! Keep it up Do you have any ideas for bloating and gas? I know Heather talks about fennel tea but I can't get it here, do I just buy fennel (maybe at the spice and herb section of the supermarket) and make it up myself??

You are a dream
Trish

fennel tea new
      #1787 - 03/02/03 01:43 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yep - you can just buy fennel seeds (in bulk if you can - much cheaper) and brew them in a tea strainer.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: fennel tea new
      #1797 - 03/02/03 02:45 PM
Trish

Heather, once again you save the day! What about the bloating!

Thanks
Trish

Re: Find them today 2/28 - fennel tea new
      #1878 - 03/04/03 10:17 AM
SharonMello

Trish - Yes, I think that's what you can do. Check HanSolo's posts on fennel tea. She says it works great for gas and bloating for her, if I recall correctly.

Sharon

--------------------
Sharon

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 448 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21232

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review