All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
I'm Hosting & Making My Very First Turkey For Thanksgiving, Any Tips?
      #120527 - 11/10/04 09:52 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

I'm VERY excited about this.... the number of people coming has dropped this year from 12 to 6 total due to the growing number of in-laws that have their own gathering. I have been asked to host (My Mom's side of the family) at my place this year so Mom can have a break and then we will do Christmas over there.

So, this is my very first time to make a turkey....anyone have any tips or family secrets they would like to share?

I will go to www.butterball.com and see what they have to say.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I don't know if this is an option where you are, but... new
      #120532 - 11/10/04 09:58 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

The absolute BEST turkey I've ever had, hands-down, no questions about it, was a free-range turkey purchased from a small privately-owned farm. You wouldn't think such a thing would make a difference in the flavor, but oh my goodness, it definitely did. That turkey was *so* flavorful and juicy, and all the hostess did was bake it, basically - no stuffing inside it, no heavy herbs, nothing fancy.

I don't really have any tips otherwise... I always just bake my turkeys, never stuffed, and they come out really good. I'm just excited for ya! I love Thanksgiving, but I like playing hostess even more!

Re: I'm Hosting & Making My Very First Turkey For Thanksgiving, Any Tips? new
      #120543 - 11/10/04 10:13 AM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

Be sure to read the label on the Butterball...know it has milk as one of its ingredients. Even though its called "butterball" not sure it has butter - but does have soy....

My first Thanksgiving I hosted - everyone was scared to come. It turned out great! I suprised them all! Good Luck! Anne

#120553 - 11/10/04 10:32 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

My mom taught me to stuff the cavity of the bird with stuffing, and then do something extra. We make a pocket between the skin and the meat of the bird. You don't want to remove the skin, just shove your hand way in and make a pocket as far back as you can. When you get it nice and roomy, fill it with stuffing. Do this all over, wherever you can get between the skin and the meat. We season all over the outside of the bird, put apples and veggies and stuff all around, pretty typical, and we put several strips of bacon (bad, i know) across the top of the bird, and hold them in place with toothpicks. So yummy.
Hope this helps. Enjoy.
Panda

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: I don't know if this is an option where you are, but... new
      #120557 - 11/10/04 10:36 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

I agree casey. If you can get a fresh, free range one they are superior. Most places that carry them request you put your order in early though...

And I also agree...no stuffing IN the bird. For years it has been known that is dangerous, but not many people listen, especially if that's the way they've done it for years.

I like to throw an apple/onion/celery in the cavity of mine for baking.

--------------------

#120562 - 11/10/04 10:41 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

The absolute BEST turkey I've ever had, hands-down, no questions about it, was a free-range turkey purchased from a small privately-owned farm. You wouldn't think such a thing would make a difference in the flavor, but oh my goodness, it definitely did. That turkey was *so* flavorful and juicy, I'm droolin all over my keyboard here!! LOL Thanks for the tips! and all the hostess did was bake it, basically - no stuffing inside it, no heavy herbs, nothing fancy.

I don't really have any tips otherwise... I always just bake my turkeys, never stuffed, and they come out really good. I'm just excited for ya! I love Thanksgiving, but I like playing hostess even more! Oh gosh...me too!!

--------------------

#120564 - 11/10/04 10:44 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Be sure to read the label on the Butterball...know it has milk as one of its ingredients. Even though its called "butterball" not sure it has butter - but does have soy.... THANKS!! I don't know what brand I will get yet....some years my Boss has given me a turkey but I'm not sure he will, so I will order fresh and then Mom can put the one from my boss if I get one, in her freezer. I just knew that they had a good website. But thanks for the warning!

My first Thanksgiving I hosted - everyone was scared to come. It turned out great! I suprised them all! I wanna do the same.... Shane is already hidding under the table in fear of my stress level... hehehe Good Luck! Thanks! Anne

--------------------

#120568 - 11/10/04 10:46 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

My mom taught me to stuff the cavity of the bird with stuffing, and then do something extra. We make a pocket between the skin and the meat of the bird. You don't want to remove the skin, just shove your hand way in and make a pocket as far back as you can. When you get it nice and roomy, fill it with stuffing. Do this all over, wherever you can get between the skin and the meat. Interesting.... I'll have to tall my Mom about that. We season all over the outside of the bird, put apples and veggies and stuff all around, pretty typical, See Mom has never done that....she stuffs the bird but that is all...and uses butter on the outside. and we put several strips of bacon (bad, i know) across the top of the bird, and hold them in place with toothpicks. My girlfriend does that... So yummy.
Hope this helps. It does...thanks! Enjoy.
Panda

--------------------

#120570 - 11/10/04 10:48 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I agree casey. If you can get a fresh, free range one they are superior. Most places that carry them request you put your order in early though... Can I do this at like a Safeway or do I need to go to the HFS?

And I also agree...no stuffing IN the bird. For years it has been known that is dangerous, but not many people listen, especially if that's the way they've done it for years. Yes, that is the only way I've ever seen.... and besides getting it all out before carving is always such a pain in the butt!!

I like to throw an apple/onion/celery in the cavity of mine for baking. Question: Do you cut the apple & onion up like in half or just throw it in there whole?

--------------------

onion/apple/lemon in bird... new
      #120582 - 11/10/04 10:58 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

lets see.. depending on what else is being done to season the bird or go on it or with it- mom and I have used: onions, apples, lemons and oranges inside the bird, always cut in half.. actually withteh citrus we squeezed it first- gently, and put most of the liquid over the bird, with the fruit inside...

my all time favorite for any poultry: sage leaves under the skin, garlic and black pepper on the surface of the skin, and onion and lemon in it.. lemon juice over the top... YUM! simple, and tastes great with just about anything!

this year Bill is smoking the bird- just hickory flavor..

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: onion/apple/lemon in bird... new
      #120585 - 11/10/04 11:03 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

lets see.. depending on what else is being done to season the bird or go on it or with it- mom and I have used: onions, apples, lemons and oranges inside the bird, always cut in half.. actually withteh citrus we squeezed it first- gently, and put most of the liquid over the bird, with the fruit inside...

my all time favorite for any poultry: sage leaves under the skin, garlic and black pepper on the surface of the skin, and onion and lemon in it.. lemon juice over the top... YUM! simple, and tastes great with just about anything!

Oh, these all sound SO good.... I just got off the phone with Mom & Sister and they both said it was ok if I did not stuff the bird this year and do my own thing.... Sister was a little hesitant...but gave in!

this year Bill is smoking the bird- just hickory flavor..

--------------------

#120602 - 11/10/04 11:28 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Also, don't get a huge bird -- it will take forever to cook. One pound per person is plenty, and you'll have leftovers.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

I JUST ordered my fresh turkey!! new
      #120603 - 11/10/04 11:30 AM
Shell Marr

I talked to the nice little old man in the meat department and he gave me one more tip..... he said in the VERY beginning...turn you oven up too 500 degrees and bake the bird for 20 mins, then turn it down to 325 degrees. That heats the inside real fast and helps to fight off bacteria, even if you don't stuff it. He said about 3 to 3-1/2 hours for a 14 pounder!! (we WANT leftovers) (mine will be between 10-14 pounds) I will pick it up about 5:30pm on Wed before Thanksgiving.

--------------------

Edited by Shell Marr (11/10/04 12:30 PM)

#120605 - 11/10/04 11:32 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I've had excellent luck with baking my turkeys in Reynold's Oven Bags. It not only cuts the time in half, but it also keeps the moisture inside. They always come out very tender and very juicy.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#120610 - 11/10/04 11:38 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I've had excellent luck with baking my turkeys in Reynold's Oven Bags. It not only cuts the time in half, but it also keeps the moisture inside. They always come out very tender and very juicy.

REALLY? They have bags big enough for the turkey? How does the skin come out.... Dad & Sister fight over it!!

--------------------

#120611 - 11/10/04 11:41 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Also, don't get a huge bird -- it will take forever to cook. One pound per person is plenty, and you'll have leftovers.

The little old man in the meat dept asked how many I was feeding... I said, "6 and we want leftovers"... he said then you will want closer to 14 pounds, but yours will be between 10-14 depending on what come in. Also when I did the caculator on www.butterball.com it said 10.5 pounds for 6 with leftovers.

--------------------

#120618 - 11/10/04 11:45 AM
RachelT

Skin and everything come out perfect. You can buy turkey size bags... they can hold up to a 24lb turkey! I actually just cooked a regular size chicken in one (smaller size bag of course) last week, and the meet was so tender it almost fell off the bone. It helps out with the flavor too, but to add a little more, just sprinkle some seasoning on the outside of the turkey. And if the skin isn't cripsy enough for you, just cut the bag open and stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes.

I just looked up the cooking time for your size turkey... If you use one of the bags, your cooking time is 2-2 1/2 hours unstuffed and 2 1/2-3 hours stuffed, cooked at 350.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

Edited by RachelT (11/10/04 11:54 AM)

#120624 - 11/10/04 11:55 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

That is great! I am sure everything will be delicious and everyone will have a great time! Good luck and have fun!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Shell, how cool! Have a fabulous dinner!!! -n- new
      #120630 - 11/10/04 12:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#120642 - 11/10/04 12:32 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Skin and everything come out perfect. You can buy turkey size bags... they can hold up to a 24lb turkey! I actually just cooked a regular size chicken in one (smaller size bag of course) last week, and the meet was so tender it almost fell off the bone. It helps out with the flavor too, but to add a little more, just sprinkle some seasoning on the outside of the turkey. And if the skin isn't cripsy enough for you, just cut the bag open and stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes.

I just looked up the cooking time for your size turkey... If you use one of the bags, your cooking time is 2-2 1/2 hours unstuffed and 2 1/2-3 hours stuffed, cooked at 350.

Well, that would be faster! Hey, have you ever done the apple, onion, etc AND the bag??

--------------------

Re: Shell, how cool! Have a fabulous dinner!!! THANKS HEATHER -nt- new
      #120643 - 11/10/04 12:33 PM
Shell Marr

--------------------

#120648 - 11/10/04 12:43 PM
AnneV

Reged: 06/10/04

one last thing...don't forget to have a large pot to make the turkey soup! Keep some of the water from any fresh veggies you may cook - it will give the broth some good flavor. Anne

#120650 - 11/10/04 12:45 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

one last thing...don't forget to have a large pot to make the turkey soup! Keep some of the water from any fresh veggies you may cook - it will give the broth some good flavor. Anne

Oh yes... good point! I love making homemade chicken noodle....so it would work just as well with turkey. Thanks!

--------------------

poultry in oven... new
      #120726 - 11/10/04 04:10 PM
khyricat

one side note- I have a huge stoneware roaster.. (actually 3 of them- 1 huge, one in between and one cornish game hen sized) and when I'm roasting poultry in the oven I normally put liquid in the bottom (even if its just chicken broth) raise the bird up on veggies or a rack, and put the lid on until the last 40 minutes or so... still browns, but OH SO JUICY! taught my mom that trick too... and gave her one of the big roasters- she uses it all the time now!

Amie

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Re: Apples and things inside the turkey new
      #120727 - 11/10/04 04:15 PM
RachelT

No I haven't, but I have used regular stuffing in the turkey. I'm sure it would turn out wonderfully with the fruits and veggies inside it. Something I think I might try this year... thanks Khyricat!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)

#120781 - 11/10/04 09:04 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Quote:

I agree casey. If you can get a fresh, free range one they are superior. Most places that carry them request you put your order in early though... Can I do this at like a Safeway or do I need to go to the HFS?

Looks like you've got the fresh bird ordered and so we know it will taste good!!

And I also agree...no stuffing IN the bird. For years it has been known that is dangerous, but not many people listen, especially if that's the way they've done it for years. Yes, that is the only way I've ever seen.... and besides getting it all out before carving is always such a pain in the butt!! No kidding.

I like to throw an apple/onion/celery in the cavity of mine for baking. Question: Do you cut the apple & onion up like in half or just throw it in there whole? Cut up, like in fourths.

But the next turkey I do, I'm going to follow Alton Brown's "Good Eats" way of doing one, with the brine and all. Every meat recipe I've ever used of his has turned out incredible. See: web page

I think his turkey recipe is near the bottom of the list.

I too have a roaster but not a stone one. It's something like 50 years old and makes an extremely tender turkey, but I'd think the Reynolds bags would be a great alternative, and sure makes for easy clean up....Oh yeah Shell...how are you on making gravy? It's a must you know.

--------------------

#120802 - 11/10/04 10:12 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like you've got the fresh bird ordered and so we know it will taste good!!

And I also agree...no stuffing IN the bird. For years it has been known that is dangerous, but not many people listen, especially if that's the way they've done it for years. Yes, that is the only way I've ever seen.... and besides getting it all out before carving is always such a pain in the butt!! No kidding.

I like to throw an apple/onion/celery in the cavity of mine for baking. Question: Do you cut the apple & onion up like in half or just throw it in there whole? Cut up, like in fourths.

But the next turkey I do, I'm going to follow Alton Brown's "Good Eats" way of doing one, with the brine and all. Every meat recipe I've ever used of his has turned out incredible. See: web page Yes, I watched him do this last year. I just figured I don't have that kind of room in my fridge to bother with it..lol

I too have a roaster but not a stone one. It's something like 50 years old and makes an extremely tender turkey, but I'd think the Reynolds bags would be a great alternative, and sure makes for easy clean up....Oh yeah Shell...how are you on making gravy? It's a must you know.

--------------------

#120804 - 11/10/04 11:27 PM
Kandee

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But the next turkey I do, I'm going to follow Alton Brown's "Good Eats" way of doing one, with the brine and all. Every meat recipe I've ever used of his has turned out incredible. See: web page Yes, I watched him do this last year. I just figured I don't have that kind of room in my fridge to bother with it..lol Good point. I didn't think of that...I'd have to use an ice chest, which I've done in the past to thaw a frozen turkey in cold water. It works great. Figured I could do the same for the brine soaking.

--------------------

#120955 - 11/11/04 09:17 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

But the next turkey I do, I'm going to follow Alton Brown's "Good Eats" way of doing one, with the brine and all. Every meat recipe I've ever used of his has turned out incredible. See: web page Yes, I watched him do this last year. I just figured I don't have that kind of room in my fridge to bother with it..lol Good point. I didn't think of that...I'd have to use an ice chest, which I've done in the past to thaw a frozen turkey in cold water. It works great. Figured I could do the same for the brine soaking.

I have two, I'm not sure which one I will make...YES, THEY ARE NO NO'S but like you said, they are a must! LOL

Turkey Gravy without Pan Drippings

Yield: 3 cups
Ingredients

6 tablespoons margarine or butter
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken broth

Directions:
In medium saucepan, melt margarine over medium heat, stir in flour. Heat and stir until light brown.
Remove from heat. Gradually blend in chicken broth until smooth.
Return saucepan to heat, increasing heat to medium high. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes or until thickened slightly. Season with salt and pepper, if desired

OR

Turkey Gravy with Pan Drippings

Yield: 16 servings
Ingredients

1/4 cup turkey pan drippings
3 3/4 cups chicken broth, or milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
Turkey giblets, optional

Directions:
In a medium saucepan, add pan drippings.
Blend 1/2 cup flour into pan drippings in pan. Graually blend in broth until smooth. Bring to a boil stir and simmer about 5 minutes. Add finely chopped cooked giblets, if desired.
Note: May substitute the flour with 1/4 cup cornstarch, if desired.

--------------------

similar to me- here is the scoop new
      #121077 - 11/11/04 02:44 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04

An article from Cuisine magazine changed my turkey life a couple years ago. I was an experienced cook before but this recipe/info blew the former ways out of the water. I think this will be lenghty but trust me! First I have had success with regular store turkeys, make sure it is well-defrosted and washed out. Reserve giblets and salt and pepper the turkey and put the onions, garlic cloves and lemon in the cavity along with parsley, sage, rsoemary and thyme all fresh if at all possible. Put on rack in large pan and cook at 325. Do not baste- it does absolutely no good and only makes it take longer to cook. This magazine knows its stuff, trust me. A little soy sauce on the skin is okay though. I also put some broth on the bottom of the pan to keep from burning at the beginning. I use a probe thermometer but check with another and move and check it several times. I cover some of the turkey with foil if needed too. I take out the turkey when it reads 173-175 in the thigh and cover with foil and let sit 20 min. Warm the platter in the meantime.

Gravy: I am going to tell you how to make it fatty and good and skinny and pretty good too. This recipe is the best in the world no kidding. Saute some chopped veg, (carrots, onion, celery and garlic) with the turkey neck for 15 minutes. Deglaze pan with 1/2c apple juice. Add 8c. broth and herbs and peppercorns. Simmer while turkey cooks. Strain and set aside. You can make a lot less to by adding less stock. This is a huge recipe.
When turkey is done let the drippings sit for 5 minutes then pour carefully into a heavy duty pplastic bag or gravy separator. Deglaze the pan with 1c. white wine. Add the strained gravy base and stir then wait for the fat to rise to the top of the drippings and cut a corner off the bag and release the drippings into the pan- pull up before you get to the fat. It is not as hard as it sounds. Now heat it all up and this is where it can be fatty or not. For fatty earlier cook melted butter and/or the turkey fat from the plastic bag to equal 1/2c. whisk in 1/2-2/3c. flour and stir until it cooks some. Add this with whisk a little bit at a time to gravy to thicken. OR just mix some cold broth with a lot of cornstarch -like 1/2c and stir until thickened. YUM!
But the most important thing is carving the turkey. After it sits for 20 min and you made the gravy. Place the turkey on a cutting board that is big enough and open the legs. Get a very sharp carving knife and pull out the thigh and cut in there at the joint and remove the thigh and leg. Repeat on other side. Then carve off one whole breast as best you can and repeat on other side. Whack off the wings last. Then cut the thighs from the drumstick and slice some of the thigh meat and set in a row on center of warm platter. Put a leg on each end of the thigh meat. Then * slice the breast meat across the grain * that is the trick and place sliced breast on the sides of the platter. Throw the wings in somewhere and place herbs for garnish on the platter. It will be awesome! And still hot since the platter is hot! I promise. E-mail with questions- I don't mind. Good luck!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Go Shell! new
      #121095 - 11/11/04 03:49 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Shell, good luck with your turkey dinner! That's something I've never had the guts to do. After this year you'll be able to give me pointers!

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: similar to me- here is the scoop new
      #121107 - 11/11/04 04:32 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

An article from Cuisine magazine changed my turkey life a couple years ago. I was an experienced cook before but this recipe/info blew the former ways out of the water. I think this will be lenghty but trust me! First I have had success with regular store turkeys, make sure it is well-defrosted and washed out. Reserve giblets and salt and pepper the turkey and put the onions, garlic cloves and lemon in the cavity along with parsley, sage, rsoemary and thyme all fresh if at all possible. Put on rack in large pan and cook at 325. Do not baste- it does absolutely no good and only makes it take longer to cook. This magazine knows its stuff, trust me. A little soy sauce on the skin is okay though. I also put some broth on the bottom of the pan to keep from burning at the beginning. I use a probe thermometer but check with another and move and check it several times. I cover some of the turkey with foil if needed too. I take out the turkey when it reads 173-175 in the thigh and cover with foil and let sit 20 min. Warm the platter in the meantime.

Gravy: I am going to tell you how to make it fatty and good and skinny and pretty good too. This recipe is the best in the world no kidding. Saute some chopped veg, (carrots, onion, celery and garlic) with the turkey neck for 15 minutes. Deglaze pan with 1/2c apple juice. Add 8c. broth and herbs and peppercorns. Simmer while turkey cooks. Strain and set aside. You can make a lot less to by adding less stock. This is a huge recipe.
When turkey is done let the drippings sit for 5 minutes then pour carefully into a heavy duty pplastic bag or gravy separator. Deglaze the pan with 1c. white wine. Add the strained gravy base and stir then wait for the fat to rise to the top of the drippings and cut a corner off the bag and release the drippings into the pan- pull up before you get to the fat. It is not as hard as it sounds. Now heat it all up and this is where it can be fatty or not. For fatty earlier cook melted butter and/or the turkey fat from the plastic bag to equal 1/2c. whisk in 1/2-2/3c. flour and stir until it cooks some. Add this with whisk a little bit at a time to gravy to thicken. OR just mix some cold broth with a lot of cornstarch -like 1/2c and stir until thickened. YUM!
But the most important thing is carving the turkey. After it sits for 20 min and you made the gravy. Place the turkey on a cutting board that is big enough and open the legs. Get a very sharp carving knife and pull out the thigh and cut in there at the joint and remove the thigh and leg. Repeat on other side. Then carve off one whole breast as best you can and repeat on other side. Whack off the wings last. Then cut the thighs from the drumstick and slice some of the thigh meat and set in a row on center of warm platter. Put a leg on each end of the thigh meat. Then * slice the breast meat across the grain * that is the trick and place sliced breast on the sides of the platter. Throw the wings in somewhere and place herbs for garnish on the platter. It will be awesome! And still hot since the platter is hot! I promise. E-mail with questions- I don't mind. Good luck!

Holy Buckets girl.... you sure do know your stuff!! Wow! Thanks for all this info...I'm sure many others will be able to use it as well. Thank you!!

--------------------

Re: Shell, you are a wonderful daughter !! new
      #121159 - 11/11/04 10:26 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

THis is the second year we are hosting Thanksgiving. We fry our turkeys in a deep fryer. My oldest son is going to take charge of that headache for me. We are having family and also some very close friends I am counting at 26 right now, but waiting on a few phone calls so it looks like the numbers are climbing. ITs going to be fun, after we eat we pull out the games and EVERYONE participates from young to old. We have a lot of laughs and over eating. Good Luck Shell, hope it goes great for you!! IT will !!

In the south we inject our turkeys with a marinade and they are always wonderful! new
      #121200 - 11/12/04 06:23 AM
####

Reged: 04/05/04

Tips new
      #121202 - 11/12/04 06:27 AM
mickeymouse

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Canada

Hey Shell, I have just one tip:

For the first half of your baking time bake turky upside down (Breast down)...makes for a juicy turky!!!

Top 10 Turkey Tips From FoodNetwork new
      #121250 - 11/12/04 09:45 AM
Shell Marr

Top 10 Turkey Tips From Food Network

Whether you're tackling a Thanksgiving turkey for the first – or hundredth time, our top ten tips will ensure your big bird is the best it can be.

1. Thawing a frozen turkey requires patience. The safest method is to thaw turkey in the refrigerator. Be sure to plan ahead, though. It takes approximately 3 days for a 20 pound turkey to defrost.

2. For crisper skin, uncover the turkey the day before roasting and let it stand in the refrigerator overnight.

3. Cook times will differ depending on whether your bird was purchased fresh or frozen. Figure on 20 minutes per pound in a 350 degree oven for a defrosted turkey, and 10 to 15 minutes per pound for fresh. If you're still perplexed, estimate your bird's cooking time with our turkey calculator.

4. A turkey will cook more evenly if it is left unstuffed. As an alternative, add flavor by stuffing some aromatic vegetables in the cavity—carrots, celery, onion, or garlic work nicely—or by carefully tucking fresh herbs underneath the breast skin.

5. Before roasting, coat the outside of the turkey with vegetable or olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and tightly cover the breast with aluminum foil.

6. For even roasting, learn how to truss poultry.

7. Don't be a peeping tom (no pun intended)! Once you get the turkey in the oven, resist the temptation to open the oven door and admire your handiwork. When the oven temperature fluctuates, you're only increasing the likelihood of a dry bird. Wait until about 45 minutes before you think the turkey is done. Then remove the foil from the breast to allow it to brown.

8. Take the turkey out of the oven when the deepest spot between the leg and the breast reads 180 degrees F on an instant read meat thermometer. Check the internal temperature of the stuffing as well; it should be at least 165 degrees.

9. After removing from the oven, tent the bird with foil and let rest for about 15 minutes before carving. If you need more time to make gravy, brown and heat up side dishes, etc., you can let it sit for up to an hour without losing too much heat.

10. Remember to carve your turkey with a very sharp knife.

--------------------

Edited by Shell Marr (11/12/04 09:57 AM)

Countdown Tips From Food Network new
      #121258 - 11/12/04 09:56 AM
Shell Marr

Countdown Tips From Food Network

Thanksgiving preparations can always be stressful. That's why it's important to plan as far ahead in advance as possible. With our helpful countdown tips, you're sure to have a stress-free celebration.

Three weeks ahead:

Prepare your guest list: Firm up how many people will be there.

Find out if there are any special dietary needs for your guests.

Two weeks ahead:

Decide on your final menu.

Assign cooking projects to family members who offer to help.

Order your fresh turkey, or buy your frozen turkey and put it in the freezer.

Order or pick up alcohol and other beverages.

Shop for non-perishable goods now, before the rush. You can buy items such as flour, sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, canned pumpkin, and fresh or frozen cranberries.

One week ahead:

Shop for non-perishable vegetables, such as butternut squash, carrots, potatoes, parsnips and turnips.

Buy heavy cream now. In the days before Thanksgiving, it can be hard to find.

If necessary, wash and iron linen or polish silver. Dig out your turkey roaster and platter and any serving dishes hidden away in closets or high shelves.

Three days ahead:

Defrost. If you have a frozen turkey, clear a space in your fridge and put the bird in now.

Clean the house--enlist household members who aren't cooking.

If you're having a lot of guests, you may want to set up the table and ensure you have enough chairs.

Two days ahead:

Make pumpkin pies or pumpkin cheesecake, rolls, breads, and cornbread for stuffing. Refrigerate pies; you can always warm things up again before serving. Don't make apple pie, however. The crust won't stay flaky and crisp.

Make things that can sit for two days in the fridge such as soups and cranberry sauce.

Prepare items such as sweet potato or green bean casserole, which can be stored uncooked in the refrigerator, to bake on the day.

One day ahead:

Set the table. It's easiest to do it now.

Do any remaining baking, including that apple pie.

Buy your salad greens and perishable vegetables. Wash lettuce leaves now, dry well, and store by packing them in paper towels in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.

If you ordered a fresh turkey, pick it up from the butcher.

Calculate your cooking time for tomorrow and your cooking sequence. Figure out what time that turkey needs to go in with our famous Turkey Calculator, the Turkeylator.

Figure out what can't be cooked along with the turkey in the oven, either in terms of temperature or space. Plan to prepare those things before or after the turkey is done, or on the stovetop while it's cooking--or, better, make them today.

November 27, Thanksgiving Day:

First off:

Prepare stuffing for the turkey, plus extra to cook on the side.

Prepare your vegetables for cooking--clean, peel, and chop. Cover the ready-to-go vegetables and put them in the refrigerator. Boil potatoes for mashing later.

Cooking time:

Stuff the turkey and get it in the oven according to the schedule you calculated yesterday with our Turkey Calculator.

Just before the turkey's done, begin cooking vegetables.

While the cooked turkey is resting:

Put a foil tent over the turkey. You now have about an hour to do the remaining cooking.

If you have a pan of stuffing on the side to bake, put it in now.

Warm whatever needs to be warmed, including rolls, soups, and casseroles.

Mash the potatoes.

Make the gravy.

Put all the food on the table or buffet. Don't hesitate to press guests into service to put food in bowls, open wine bottles, top up glasses, and dish up the cranberry sauce.

Get a plate and eat! Don't spend the meal running back and forth to the kitchen and end up missing out on the Thanksgiving feast you created.

--------------------

#124961 - 11/23/04 01:33 PM
Shell Marr

Oh, the countdown is on baby!! The frozen stuff is out of the freezer, I pick up the fresh bird after work Wed. I have all the food items organized for FAST fixing. Found a great table cloth and kitchen towel that are so cute!

And some good news.... Grandma IS going to be home for Thanksgiving.... she flying back home tonight and Mom is getting her are the airport.

I'm so excited...I love being the hostess!!

--------------------

Edited by Shell Marr (11/23/04 01:34 PM)

Good luck Shell! you nervous and excited yet? -nt- new
      #125058 - 11/23/04 07:44 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

--------------------
-Sheri

#125103 - 11/24/04 04:55 AM
khyricat

thats wonderful Shell.. I mde fudge last night, apple spice muffins night before (they are in the fridge) and today will get as much other prep done as I can.. of course I am not doing the bird- DH is outside on the smoker, so that makes things a bit easier.

--------------------
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic

Good luck tomorrow Shell! -nt- new
      #125108 - 11/24/04 05:02 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

#125589 - 11/26/04 10:34 PM
Shell Marr

Here you can see pics of my turkey!! hehehe web page

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 167 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21159

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review