Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: onion/apple/lemon in bird... new
      #120585 - 11/10/04 11:03 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

lets see.. depending on what else is being done to season the bird or go on it or with it- mom and I have used: onions, apples, lemons and oranges inside the bird, always cut in half.. actually withteh citrus we squeezed it first- gently, and put most of the liquid over the bird, with the fruit inside...

my all time favorite for any poultry: sage leaves under the skin, garlic and black pepper on the surface of the skin, and onion and lemon in it.. lemon juice over the top... YUM! simple, and tastes great with just about anything!

Oh, these all sound SO good.... I just got off the phone with Mom & Sister and they both said it was ok if I did not stuff the bird this year and do my own thing.... Sister was a little hesitant...but gave in!

this year Bill is smoking the bird- just hickory flavor..

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm Hosting & Making My Very First Turkey For Thanksgiving, Any Tips? new
      #120602 - 11/10/04 11:28 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Also, don't get a huge bird -- it will take forever to cook. One pound per person is plenty, and you'll have leftovers.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

I JUST ordered my fresh turkey!! new
      #120603 - 11/10/04 11:30 AM
Shell Marr

I talked to the nice little old man in the meat department and he gave me one more tip..... he said in the VERY beginning...turn you oven up too 500 degrees and bake the bird for 20 mins, then turn it down to 325 degrees. That heats the inside real fast and helps to fight off bacteria, even if you don't stuff it. He said about 3 to 3-1/2 hours for a 14 pounder!! (we WANT leftovers) (mine will be between 10-14 pounds) I will pick it up about 5:30pm on Wed before Thanksgiving.

--------------------

Edited by Shell Marr (11/10/04 12:30 PM)

#120605 - 11/10/04 11:32 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I've had excellent luck with baking my turkeys in Reynold's Oven Bags. It not only cuts the time in half, but it also keeps the moisture inside. They always come out very tender and very juicy.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

#120610 - 11/10/04 11:38 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

I've had excellent luck with baking my turkeys in Reynold's Oven Bags. It not only cuts the time in half, but it also keeps the moisture inside. They always come out very tender and very juicy.

REALLY? They have bags big enough for the turkey? How does the skin come out.... Dad & Sister fight over it!!

--------------------

#120611 - 11/10/04 11:41 AM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Also, don't get a huge bird -- it will take forever to cook. One pound per person is plenty, and you'll have leftovers.

The little old man in the meat dept asked how many I was feeding... I said, "6 and we want leftovers"... he said then you will want closer to 14 pounds, but yours will be between 10-14 depending on what come in. Also when I did the caculator on www.butterball.com it said 10.5 pounds for 6 with leftovers.

--------------------

#120618 - 11/10/04 11:45 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

Skin and everything come out perfect. You can buy turkey size bags... they can hold up to a 24lb turkey! I actually just cooked a regular size chicken in one (smaller size bag of course) last week, and the meet was so tender it almost fell off the bone. It helps out with the flavor too, but to add a little more, just sprinkle some seasoning on the outside of the turkey. And if the skin isn't cripsy enough for you, just cut the bag open and stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes.

I just looked up the cooking time for your size turkey... If you use one of the bags, your cooking time is 2-2 1/2 hours unstuffed and 2 1/2-3 hours stuffed, cooked at 350.

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Edited by RachelT (11/10/04 11:54 AM)

#120624 - 11/10/04 11:55 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

That is great! I am sure everything will be delicious and everyone will have a great time! Good luck and have fun!

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Shell, how cool! Have a fabulous dinner!!! -n- new
      #120630 - 11/10/04 12:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#120642 - 11/10/04 12:32 PM
Shell Marr

Quote:

Skin and everything come out perfect. You can buy turkey size bags... they can hold up to a 24lb turkey! I actually just cooked a regular size chicken in one (smaller size bag of course) last week, and the meet was so tender it almost fell off the bone. It helps out with the flavor too, but to add a little more, just sprinkle some seasoning on the outside of the turkey. And if the skin isn't cripsy enough for you, just cut the bag open and stick it under the broiler for a couple of minutes.

I just looked up the cooking time for your size turkey... If you use one of the bags, your cooking time is 2-2 1/2 hours unstuffed and 2 1/2-3 hours stuffed, cooked at 350.

Well, that would be faster! Hey, have you ever done the apple, onion, etc AND the bag??

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 375 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 21394

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review