All Boards >> IBS Recipes

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
sugar cookie recipe needed
      #11560 - 06/12/03 09:23 PM
queenie

Reged: 04/04/03
Loc: Texas, USA

can someone please give me a sugar cookie recipe...even chocolate chip cookies would be fine, too. i do have the carob chips to add in them that i'm dying to use.

thanks
amy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: sugar cookie recipe needed new
      #11584 - 06/13/03 06:07 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I don't have a sugar cookie recipe, but have you tried Peek Freans "Nice" cookies? They are wonderful and low in fat.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Fat Free Sugar Cookies new
      #11705 - 06/14/03 06:39 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Here is a recipe for for fat free sugar cookies I found at web page . If you try them, let us know how they turned out.

Fat Free Sugar Cookies

1 package egg beaters¨ 99% egg substitute -- (4 oz)
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix the above ingredients together one at a time. Blend well after each addition (dough should be fairly dry). Drop dough onto a cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool for about 3-5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.

#11706 - 06/14/03 07:23 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

Hi Mags; Thats a whole lot of egg beaters! How much does it make? nt

#11709 - 06/14/03 07:42 PM
Karin

Reged: 02/11/03
Loc: Southern California

4 ounces is only 1/2 cup.

#11710 - 06/14/03 07:47 PM
TessLouise

Reged: 01/21/03
Loc: Nashville, TN

Actually, 4 ounces of Egg Beaters is only equal to 2 whole eggs. A cookie recipe with 2 cups of flour, 2 of sugar, and 2 eggs will probably make about 3 dozen cookies, maybe less because they contain no fat.

Re: Fat Free Sugar Cookies (Made them) new
      #11985 - 06/19/03 12:25 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Gee thanks Mags, This is one of the BETTER fat free cookies I've made. Some tips: They spread when baking so use a scant teaspoon full and place at least 2 inches apart. They brown quickly so keep an eye on them if you're not sure of your oven temperatures. Yes, they make at least 3 dozen cookies, maybe more. I kept eating some as they cooled so didn't get a good count.

I'm going to experiment with this one since I do believe it is such an easy basic recipe that you could do variations with very little adjustments needed. A chocolate and ginger version come to mind.
Kandee

--------------------

#11987 - 06/19/03 02:14 AM
Sara

Reged: 06/19/03

Hmm, I can't get Eggbeaters, not even 1/2 cup. I wonder if the recipe would work with just egg whites?
--Sara

Re: Fat Free Sugar Cookies (Made them) new
      #11989 - 06/19/03 03:52 AM
*Melissa*

Thanks for guinea pigging for us! I'm glad they came out good, because sugar cookies are one of my favorites.

If you come up with any good variations, let us know.

#11990 - 06/19/03 03:56 AM
*Melissa*

They probably would, but I guess there's only one way to find out for sure!

Either that or do you have a different brand. I know here in NJ I've seen Better N Eggs and also All Whites, which both are the same as Eggbeaters.

Will do... new
      #12057 - 06/19/03 12:53 PM
Kandee

I most certainly WILL add any good variations I find. I warn you, if you are a sugar cookie addict you won't be able to stay away from these. If not over baked they have a chewy texture that is almost like the inside of a meringue cookie or tort. Unfortunately, being the "guinea piggy" is not a way to keep the pounds off!!
Kandee

--------------------

#12062 - 06/19/03 01:19 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

are they any other alternatives to egg beaters?

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#12066 - 06/19/03 01:42 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Just use two egg whites for each whole egg the recipe calls for. If Egg Beaters are measured out (like 1/3 cup) in the recipe, substitute an equal amount of egg whites.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thnx Heather -n-t- new
      #12075 - 06/19/03 03:25 PM
ConcreteAngel

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: New Jersey,USA

--------------------
-Angela
Healed in Jesus' Name

#29098 - 11/26/03 09:59 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

Anyone tried making these and using cookie cutters? I am dying to make Christmas sugar cookies!

--------------------
- Jennifer

Re: Fat Free Sugar Cookies (I've made them) new
      #29152 - 11/26/03 10:55 AM
Kandee

I can vouch for these but don't use a cookie cutter....they spread when baking. They are REALLY sweet, but if that's what you like you'll love them. I got hooked and made batch after batch.....even added some cocoa once.....
Maybe you could just add some sprinkles in Christmas colors to the top to make them look festive.
Kandee

--------------------

Re: Fat Free Sugar Cookies (I've made them) new
      #29158 - 11/26/03 11:07 AM
Jennifer Rose

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: Fremont, CA

That's true - maybe I'll try that. Thanks!

Although I'm really trying to find a recipe that I can make with my cousins tonight. I've been trying to think of an activity to do with 7 kids tonight and making Christmas cookie ornaments would be fun. Anyone have an IBS safe sugar cookie recipe for cookie cutters?

--------------------
- Jennifer

another sugar cookie recipe new
      #29196 - 11/26/03 05:48 PM
joanmarie

Reged: 11/09/03
Loc: iowa

Sugar Cookies from the American Heart Association cookbook.
(this recipe will need to be modified for the milk).
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup acceptable margerine, softened
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons fat free milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking poder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
vegetable oil spray

In a laarge bowl, cream sugar and margerine. Beat in egg whites, milk, and vanilla.
In a medium bowl, sift together remaining ingredients except vegetable oil spray. Gradually beat into sugar mixture.
Cover and refrigerate dough until chilled thoroughly about 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 375. Spray baking sheets with vegetable oil spray.
Form dough into about 48 balls 1 inch in diameter; put on baking sheets. Lightly press thimb in center of each cookie.
Bake for 8 minutes, or unitl brown. Remove cookies from baking sheet and let cool. Frost with confectioners glaze if desired. To make lemon sugar cookies substitute 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice and 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest for milk and vanilla.

Edited by joanmarie (11/26/03 06:33 PM)

Re: Holiday Cookie Cutouts new
      #29200 - 11/26/03 06:17 PM
*Melissa*

Well, Jen, once again, I'm probably too late for ya, but I'm trying anyway!

I came across this online. I don't know how good they actually are, but they look pretty safe!

Holiday Cookie Cutouts
recipe by Patsy Jamieson

There is no need to wait for December to enjoy crisp sugar cookies in fanciful shapes. Capture the spirit of fall by baking maple leaf- or pumpkin-shaped cookies. And when the festive season arrives, have fun with holiday shapes like stars and wreaths. Use the Cinnamon-Sugar Topping for crisp cookies that make perfect teatime treats or finish with Decorator Icing for more elaborate cookies.

Prep time: 45 minutes
Start to finish: 3 hours (including chilling time)
To make ahead: The cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks
Degree of difficulty: moderate

Ingredients

Holiday Cookie Cutouts
1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour (you could probably use all-purpose flour and be fine)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup low-fat firm silken tofu (see Ingredient Note)
1 large egg (use 2 egg whites, or egg replacement)
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon butter, softened (use soy butter substitute)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Cinnamon-Sugar Topping or
Decorator Icing (recipes follow)

Ingredient Note: Choose silken-style tofu, available in most supermarkets, rather than regular tofu for this recipe. It has a custard-like texture, which is suitable for pureeing.

Cinnamon-Sugar Topping
Prep time: 5 minutes
Start to finish: 5 minutes
Degree of difficulty: easy

2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg white, lightly beaten with a fork

Decorator Icing
Prep time: 15 minutes
Start to finish: 15 minutes
Degree of difficulty: moderate

4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons pasteurized liquid egg whites or equivalent reconstituted dried egg whites (3 egg whites)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Food coloring (optional)
Water for thinning, if needed

To make:

To make Holiday Cookie Cutouts:
1. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
2. Puree tofu in a food processor. Add egg, sugar, oil, butter and vanilla; process until smooth, stopping once or twice to scrape down the sides. Add the dry ingredients and pulse several times just until dough clumps together.
3. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead several times. Divide in half and press each piece into a disk. Dust disks with flour and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
5. Working with one piece at a time, on a lightly floured surface, roll the dough slightly less than 1/4 inch thick. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter. Gather scraps and re-roll. Place cookies about 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. If using Cinnamon-Sugar Topping, add it now.
6. Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, until light golden around the edges, 12 to 16 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely.
7. If using Decorator Icing, decorate cookies as desired. Let stand until frosting has set, 30 to 45 minutes.

To make Cinnamon-Sugar Topping:
This simple topping gives the crisp cookies a delightful finish. For a festive look, place a stencil over the cookie before sprinkling with sugar. You can also tint the sugar mixture with a few drops of food coloring.
In Step 5, mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Before baking cookies, brush with egg white then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

To make Decorator Icing:
This versatile icing is ideal for piping, but it can also be thinned with water and painted over cookies; it dries to a beautiful matte finish. To avoid health concerns about uncooked eggs, use pasteurized egg whites. You can find both refrigerated cartons of pasteurized egg whites and convenient pasteurized dried egg whites in most supermarkets.
1. Sift sugar and cream of tartar into a large mixing bowl. Add egg whites and vanilla; beat with an electric mixer at low speed until mixed. Increase speed to high and beat until icing has thickened and holds peaks, 8 to 10 minutes.

2. Decorate cookies. While working, keep the icing covered with a damp towel to prevent it from drying out. Let cookies stand until icing has set, about 30 minutes.

Makes about 32 cookies.
Per cookie (undecorated): 67 calories; 2 g total fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrate; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 25 mg sodium.

Cinnamon-Sugar Topping: Per 1/4 teaspoon: about 4 calories.

Decorator Icing: Makes about 2 cups.
Per teaspoon: 20 calories; 0 g total fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrate; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 2 mg sodium

Edited by Heather (10/08/14 03:15 PM)

Re: Not to late for me new
      #29201 - 11/26/03 06:20 PM
torbetta

Reged: 01/24/03
Loc: New York

Maddie was just asking if we could do cut outs. This is helpful. She also wanted to do gingerbread cut outs. Too bad they won't eat them. We made them last year and neither like them. If you come across one let me know.

#29203 - 11/26/03 06:22 PM
*Melissa*

Actually, I used to have one that makes cinamon men ornaments. They weren't edible. I think were just cinnamon & applesauce? I can't remember. Do you think they'd like to do them? You use the craft glue to decorate them, and we used them to make ornaments and gift tags. They smell really good!

#29211 - 11/26/03 06:41 PM
*Melissa*

I found these online. I'm pretty sure they are the same ones I made. Although, I don't remember adding glue to the actual recipe. We used gingerbread man shaped cookie cutters to make little men, then decorated them with the raised craft glue (the face, buttons, etc). My mom and I originally got it out of a craft book, and you were supposed to attach the little men to a wreath. But, like I said, we just made tree ornaments & gift tags with them. We made them the same year Chris and I had our first Christmas together, and I made a heart ornament and decorated it saying "Our first Chrismiss!" Corny - I know. LOL My little sister gave us that nickname when we first started dating. My nickname (one of a gazillion that I have) is Missy, and of course Chris, so she came up with Chrismiss. That was back when she was only 5. Isn't she too cute?

Anyway, maybe the girls will have fun making these, then you won't have to worry about eating them!

Cinnamon Ornaments

Gingerbread Cookies new
      #29240 - 11/27/03 05:17 AM
*Melissa*

Would these work?

Gingerbread Cookies

1 c. canned pumpkin
1 c. brown sugar
1 c. blackstrap molasses
3/4 c. rice milk
1 T. cider vinegar
1/2 t. salt
1 fake egg

stir these ingredients together (much easier than the equivalent 'butter/creaming step in the original recipe) until there are no lumps of brown sugar remaining.

add to 3 c. flour in a separate bowl and mix well
4 t. baking soda
2 t. cinnamon
2 t. ginger
1/2 t. cloves
1/2 t. allspice
1/2 t. nutmeg

Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and stir until mixed, then add 2 more cups of flour and keep stirring, just until flour is absorbed. Flour lumps are not desirable, but you don't want to over-stir either.

Chill in refrigerator for a few hours. Roll out 1/4 inch thick and cut cookies as desired. Bake at 350 until firm (touch a cookie with your finger, if you can make a print, it's not done) but do not brown or overcook.

Re: Gingerbread Cookies new
      #29312 - 11/28/03 09:39 AM
torbetta

Thanks you. If we have a chance this weekend maybe we will make these and the ornaments. The girls will be so excited.

Re: Might not be enough flour new
      #30052 - 12/04/03 02:31 PM
torbetta

Maddie and I made these and the sugar cookie cut-outs today. We are planning on baking them tomorrow. The gingerbread cookies are very sticky and they have been in the fridge for 3 hours. I can't imagine rolling it out the way it is. The dough does taste good though. I let you know how it goes tomorrow. I hope we get the chance to finish doing them. I actually hate rolling and cutting out cookies but Maddie loves them. She did so well with her reading lesson today I promised we would make them.

this looks good -- a little bit of fat usually helps cookies new
      #30073 - 12/04/03 04:14 PM
Shanna

Reged: 11/15/03
Loc: Atlanta, GA, USA

--------------------
"The most wasted of all days is one without laughter." -- e e cummings

Re: It helps if you read everything in the recipe new
      #30617 - 12/08/03 01:55 PM
torbetta

After reading through the recipe again, I realized I missed the part about adding 2 cups more flour. That is why you need to read the whole directions from begining to end. The added ingredients in a paragraphs always throw me off.

The cookies are not too bad. I think I went a little to light on the spices.

Re: Thanks new
      #71594 - 05/19/04 08:44 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thank you for all your help Kree - on the cookies and the pumpkin bread! I figured I would have to give up on my cookie recipe but I thought I'd better give it one last chance! =( Ill try the recipe you reccomended - Im sure its Tons better than suffering over the other one! Thanks again!

You're welcome, Abby. I hope it works out for you! -nt- new
      #71636 - 05/19/04 10:47 AM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Re: I made them, too poofy, did I do something wrong? new
      #295223 - 01/03/07 08:38 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

They tasted great, but they were really airy and poofy. I'm used to sugar cookies being very dense. The recipe says to just drop the dough on a pan, but has anyone tried rolling out the dough and cutting them?

Thanks,

--------------------
Kat

#320654 - 12/14/07 05:54 AM
Emmacella

Reged: 12/14/07

i do not have egg beaters in my household right noww
how many egg whites could i use to equal one package of eggbeaters?

#320673 - 12/14/07 07:01 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

I pretty sure its 4. haven't tried these yet myself but think I will soon.
emmasmom
ibs-c

#320689 - 12/14/07 08:35 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

same as 1/2 cup egg beaters or 4 egg whites or 2 whole eggs

Quote:

Here is a recipe for for fat free sugar cookies I found at web page . If you try them, let us know how they turned out.

Fat Free Sugar Cookies

2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl, mix the above ingredients together one at a time. Blend well after each addition (dough should be fairly dry). Drop dough onto a cookie sheet that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool for about 3-5 minutes before removing from cookie sheet.

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

What is a fake egg? - nt - new
      #339495 - 12/16/08 04:31 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

Re: Holiday Cookie Cutouts new
      #339619 - 12/18/08 05:38 PM
Angela E.

Reged: 10/14/04
Loc: Michigan

Just have to say that I tried this recipe that Melissa posted a while back and the cookies are really good! I have a pretty good recipe for frosting also that is IBS-Friendly:

2 cups of confectioner's sugar
3 tablespoons of soy milk
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 tablespoon of melted soy margarine

Mix the sugar, vanilla, and soy milk together first. Then add the melted margarine. Mix together. It will seem a bit soupy but will start to thicken as you use it. Make sure to use it soon or it will get too hard. Add your sprinkles or decorations before the frosting hardens. I had a good helper with this! My son! I think there is more sprinkles on the cookies than frosting!

Can anyone help with the egg question? new
      #339691 - 12/19/08 05:04 PM
DianeM

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Kentucky

I don't know what a "fake" egg is. I assume it means egg substitute or egg replacer? Can I use an egg white in this recipee? Or should I use two egg whites? Thanks!

Small of big can of pumpkin? new
      #339707 - 12/20/08 05:59 AM
ericai

Reged: 11/09/08
Loc: Nassau County, NY

Anyone who made the gingerbread cookies....did you use the small or big can of pumpkin puree?
I'd like to make them today, I'm so excited to get some good IBS cookie recipes

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: Small of big can of pumpkin? new
      #339712 - 12/20/08 06:39 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Depends on if your going to double the recipe....but the original only calls for 1 CUP of canned pumpkin, so a small can would be groovy!

Quote:

Anyone who made the gingerbread cookies....did you use the small or big can of pumpkin puree?
I'd like to make them today, I'm so excited to get some good IBS cookie recipes

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#339727 - 12/20/08 10:02 AM
ericai

Great Thanks for the reply!
I'm off to get molasses from the store and then to make them

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: I made them, too poofy, did I do something wrong? new
      #339741 - 12/20/08 04:25 PM
ericai

I made them today...they taste great but I would agree they are a little poofy and sticky.

I made them on an aluminum pan (not my usual non-stick since I was at my MILs) and they stuck to the pan even though I oiled the pan first.

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

#339742 - 12/20/08 04:26 PM
ericai

Thanks! I read the recipe wrong the first time. I thought it said 1 can pumpkin puree, but as I was making the dough I saw that it said 1 c. (1 cup)!

ops!

--------------------
Erica
IBS-D

Re: another sugar cookie recipe new
      #353199 - 12/14/09 03:59 PM
bb07

Reged: 10/13/09
Loc: CA

What is acceptable margarine? Is it soy? Please let me know who has found a product they like. Also, if you know a good tasting soy cream cheese or acceptable cream cheese. Thanks!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 453 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54670

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review